Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

3.8

150 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2009.

I interviewed with Bain & Company on-campus at my university. The interview was one hour long and consisted of two 30-minute case interviews. The first interview was an auto car show case concerning entering a new market. The second interview concerned the declining profitability of a major US university. There were quantitative and market sizing portions of the case. Each of the cases are designed by the interviewers from cases they have worked on.

The company offers candidates the opportunity to practice a case with a Bain AC prior to the interview, but substantial preparation on the part of the interviewee in necessary to land the job.

Interview Questions
  • A major US university is experiencing declining profits. (1) Please discuss the drivers of profitability for the organization. (2) How might you improve the profitability of this university?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in July 2010.

Really nice office and the people were great. One interviewer seemed a bit tough, the other was really nice. Interviews consisted of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. They were very strict on the timing, so I didn't have time to really chat with the last interviewer.

Didn't receive an invite back to second rounds. It was off cycle recruiting, so it was a long shot to begin with.

Bain is very tough on mental math (this is where I got dinged the most I guess). Usually not to bad, I guess it was an off day. Make sure you can do this, and do it well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Why consulting?   Answer Question
    • Case: Company X wants to expand into another country, and has decided that acquiring Company Y is a good entrance strategy. Evaluate.   View Answer
    • Company Z is a CPG company, that both produces and distributes their products. They're deciding whether they should outsource their distribution. What would you use to evaluate this? Go.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in July 2010.

Received an email to setup time for first interview the following week. First round interview was two case studies from a senior AC and a consultant. Both were very friendly and helpful throughout the case. The cases were much more numerical (I had a table of numbers I had to fill out) than I was expecting (compared to case & point cases). There were no behavioral questions, and no questions about why Bain or why consulting - just the case and then time for me to ask questions.

Round two was with a staffing manager, manager, and partner. Again all were friendly and helpful. I only received a short case from the manager. It lasted about 10 minutes and just focused on the business issues I'd be thinking about for a cell-phone related case. No numbers at all. The rest of that interview and the other two were entirely questions like "how did you hear about Bain?" "Why consulting?" "What do you think your performance review at the end of a year at Bain will say?" (got this one twice) and "Describe this project on your resume." I was very surprised I didn't receive harder cases!

Interview Questions
    • Let's say I'm your manager and you get hired at Bain. At the end of one year, what will I write in your performance review?   View Answer
    • Describe this project on your resume?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2010.

Had 2 45 minute interviews in Las Colinas office. Going back for a second round interview later this week. Was able to speak with current Bain AC before interview process to prepare. This was very helpful.

Associate Consultant Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2010.

On campus interview - first round. Consisted of 2 back-to-back case interviews that were 30 minutes each
    Office interview - final round. Consisted of 3 back-to-back case + behavioral interviews that were 45 minutes or so each. These were with more senior people in the company

Interview Questions
    • Asked various situational case interviews - had to ask for the appropriate data and ask the right questions to continue along in the interview.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - set at a national level

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Applied through the university's recruiting website. I did minimal networking, but had a decent resume. The interview consisted of two 1:1 interviews with a partner and manager. The interviews consisted of brief small talk, one fit question, and one case. They lasted about 45 minutes each.

The interviewers were very nice and friendly. I tried to go in with the mindset of having fun and being relaxed, and I think that really helped me get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help an European charter airline turnaround its declining profits?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Went through on campus recruiting, first round interview consists of two back to back case interviews with different interviewers with no fit component. Upon passing this, final rounds consist of four back to back interviews, 3 case and one fit. The order is random, but you're guaranteed one interview with a principal or partner.

It felt surprisingly calm and much less stressful than I had anticipated because of how friendly everyone at the office was, but the cases were difficult nonetheless

Interview Questions
    • Case on declining profitability in an agriculture related firm   Answer Question
    • Case on sales force deployment in the technology sector   Answer Question
    No negotiation for entry level positions - compensation is fixed nationally.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Welcoming and very smart and dynamic people.
    3 rounds. Each time 2 consultants (from most junior to most senior). With each consultant, 1 case and 30 minutes of discussion about yourself.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

The Bain interviewers were great about making me feel comfortable about the interview process and the company in general. They hosted a "meet your interviewers" session the night before the interviews which, when I first heard about it, made me very wary. Did they want me to schmooze and brown-nose? But upon arrival, it was nothing like I feared. It was much more of a question and answer session, where all the interviewees could ask myriad questions about the company. And though we didn't do any "schmoozing," meeting my interviewer outside the interview room made me SO much more comfortable inside the interview.

Interview Questions
    • They really pushed back against my answers to the case questions. While that's not a specific question, it caught me off guard.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Bain just started interviewing at my school (non-target in the Midwest) in the last few years, and I decided to attend a practice case info session at the business school put on by two consultant alums. During the info session I volunteered a ton (probably answered 75% of the questions, and luckily with pretty good answers) and afterwards I made an effort to meet both consultants, introduce myself and put a face to my name. I submitted my resume to the applicant pool, and I was called the following week by one of the alums who I met with to inform me they'd like to bring me in for a first round interview. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but I definitely think it helped taking the time to attend the info session, actively participating, and making a connection and strong impression on the recruiting contacts from the start rather than just hoping my resume would get noticed.

First round consisted of two 30 minute cases, pretty much zero behavioral. I actually felt really pessimistic leaving the interview, and even called some friends and told them I didn't think I would be advanced to the next round. I was taking a nap the afternoon of the interview when my phone rang, with one of the consultants who interviewed me inviting me to a final round office interview in the near future. Goes to show you want to stay calm on the outside even if you feel like you're struggling and totally lost with a case. In between the first and second rounds, I reached out to the alums I initially met at the info session, and between them and some of the ACs on their teams I was able to go through ~8 live practice cases over the phone with different Bain employees. Can't stress enough how much this helped me prepare.

Second round was three 30 minute cases with a partner and two senior managers, as well as a 30 minute behavioral/fit interview with a consultant. Saw two private equity due diligence cases, the key to these is looking at the overall market, then the competitive landscape, then the client's specific product offering and how it compares to the rest of the industry. I would definitely anticipate a few cases of this sort if you plan on interviewing with Bain. All the cases were pretty straightforward, pretty structured where the interviewer had several slides with key information which they would provide if you asked the right questions. After the final interview I kept anticipating a call, as I'd heard that top firms will often extend offers the same day as the interview. When I didn't hear I was somewhat nervous, but I did my best not to think about it. I received an offer a week later over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Believe it or not I struggled most with the question "Tell me about yourself". It was my last interview of the final round with a very successful partner, normally I feel pretty good about my 30 second elevator pitch/self promotion blurb but I definitely froze up and got nervous for some reason. I sort of stammered that I was a smart and laid-back kid, immediately regretted the use of "laid-back", randomly threw out that I ran an ironman with no real connection to how it would make me a better consultant, etc. After that we went through a case together which went well, but definitely sell yourself better than I did when given the chance.   Answer Question
    As others have stated no negotiation for entry-level employees. My negotiation phase consisted of me giggling like a little girl when the partner asked if I would like to join Bain, and trying to hold it together over the phone.