Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

2 rounds with 5 interviews, including 4 case interviews. For one case interview, you are given 15 minutes to prepare. For the non-case interview, the interviewer tries to test your fit with the firm. In my case it was quite a casual, open discussion and it didn't feel too stressful.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to start a career in management consulting?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Cape Town (South Africa)) in July 2014.

Interview

I had an interview for an entry level associate position within the firm. I had received an email saying I had to write a test. This happened In a room of 30 people and involved mental maths and puzzles. Following this I was called back for a 1 on 1 interview. The interviewer was very hostile and interrupting all the time. Glad I didn't get the job.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was fun. Standard case study interview process was done. Introduction followed by case study. The first round was pretty straightforward, no materials were used except for a verbal introduction of the case followed by interviewer led case study. The second round was a little tricky. As it was over the Internet (applied to different office), the interviewer had a hard time deciding how to show me the charts. The charts were straightforward forward if put in front of someone but over the Internet is a different experience.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a two-stage ordeal with various Bain consultants. Based mainly on cases drawn from consultants' previous experience, the interview was dynamic, challenging and fun. I had heard all over that Bain interviewers do a great job of actually working with you to move the case forward, rather than letting you flounder. While you can still tell when you've tripped up, it does actually feel like you have support.

Interview Questions

• I was given a medical company merger case: Should Company A partner with Company B?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2012.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews (it has now reduced to two). Contains a mixture of 'standard' interview questions (e.g. 'tell me about yourself') and cases (similar to any you can find online). First round is with Consultants or Managers; final round is with Partners. Very similar questions to other management consulting interviews. There are no real 'tricks' or curveball questions - they are just watching your personality as well as performance in the cases.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the value of hosting the London Olympics?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Very structured interview process. There was adequate guidance on the case interview, and was challenging enough to test the candidate's abilities. Also, the company gets back to candidates on their interview results promptly. Overall, very good interview experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (Dallas, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Two phone case interviews and two case interviews in Dallas. The phone interviews were 30 minutes long each, and the in person interviews lasted about 45 minutes. The entire process is quick - I found out I had phone interviews in five days, then found out one day later I made the second round which was three days after. Then, the day after, I received my offer. It's fast.

Interview Questions

• "What about Bain excites you?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate my offer, because I had great petroleum engineering offers that paid more. Didn't work - Bain pays all its USA employees the same starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was made of two rounds. The first round comprised of two 30 minute interviews on the phone. The cases were back to back, lightly focused on fit. After a successful first round, I was flown to the Chicago office for a final round, which had 4 interviews. The first was a fit interview while the rest were on cases, with little time spent on a couple fit questions - why consulting; why Bain; why did you wait till off cycle to apply? Because the interview was with partners, less emphasis was spent on structure compared to the first round. I thought I didn't do well as well on the first case interview in the last round and therefore picked the pace for the last two. However on my offer call, I was told I did really well on that case -- sentimental feeling after a case isn't always the best judge. My final commentary on the interview process is that Bain wants to see the REAL you so don't forget to show your passion, poise and energy. They respect those so much so that those make a HUGE impression and they will remember.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate. Pay is pretty standard

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied through university career management portal. Selected for first round interview on campus along with 16 other candidates. First round consisted of two interviews - each interview 30 minutes in length. Both consisted of 5 minutes of small talk and 25 minutes of case interview. First case concerned market-sizing and second case concerned marketing strategy optimization for a consumer packaged goods company. Final round offers extended to 8 candidates at Toronto office. Friday night consisted of dinner with three consultants and a recruiter from the office and Saturday afternoon consisted of three interviews, each thirty minutes in length. First two interviews were case based - first case concerned branch profitability issue of large European painting company and second case concerned cost of good increase for plastics producer. Last interview was behavioural/fit-based. Offer extended Saturday evening, a few hours after final rounds ended.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain? Tell me about a leadership experience you are most proud of? Several more questions but I can't recall them.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Copenhagen (Denmark)) in April 2015.

Interview

Total of six interviews spread over different rounds. Heavy emphasis on case solving, but also some more in depth behavioral questions in the later interviews. The initial cases were quite easy with quite heavy focus on just profitability, the later ones were much tricker and quite ambiguous. I'm not sure how to prepare for the later cases, except doing lots of cases before.