Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Contacted for an interview after submitting an application via university recruiting. Great interview prep resources online and with a session at their office. First round interview consisted of 2 back-to-back case interviews, no experience questions were asked. One case was a little softer than the other in terms of quant/math questions, but both had those aspects to them.

Interview Questions

• Both cases had tricky aspects to their quant questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

got the interview invite through on-campus career center. went through the 1st round by nailing two typical cases (no behavioral questions). the 2nd round was in a hotel. the interviewers really tried to throw you off by providing lots of information that were irrelevant to the case - i was tricked. If i knew before hand, i could have done better.

Interview Questions

• case questions: there was one case the interviewer threw 11-12 exhibits at me and asked for takeaways   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting, you end up going through pretty standard case interviews for a consulting firm. People were really really nice and I enjoyed going through the cases with them. They ended up calling back a couple hours later saying that I got the final round, so I'm waiting on that in the next week or so.

Interview Questions

• What are potential costs associated with building out hospital IT infrastructure?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Recruited through school, they made a very good presentation and ensured that prospective candidates understood the whole process in detail. They held several workshops to prep for the case interviews with associate consultants. Interview of first round consisted of 2 interviews with a case manager and a principal. One case was a new venture and the other was increasing profits in an insurance company

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

I applied after attending the on campus info-session, and received a first round after a week or so. Before the interview, there was a case workshop to help prepare you for the interview. First round consisted of 2 back to back case interviews, 45 minutes each. There were no behavior component for either of my interviews, and the cases were rather typical. The interviewers were very helpful, and I would say that it was a more interviewer led interview (compared to other management consulting firms' interviewee led interview style).

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

I gave my resume at a career fair. First interview was 2 cases with some behavioral mixed in. One case was strictly quantitative and the other was half quantitative, half creativity (ideas about the business). Nothing terribly hard. Very high standards for them nonetheless. They are looking for more than the typical answers. More depth is needed. I didn't do well enough in that area to advance.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

Interview

On-campus recruiting. Bain is renowned for its friendliness, and alumni from the company called in the week before to offer case practice help or any info. First-round interviews are simple, two back-to-back 30 minutes interview. Basic case studies involving things like product acquisition, mergers, market sizing (although this tends to be just one component of a larger case). Because cases aren't the most difficult, it's important to nail them. The interviewers were very friendly and were helpful when I stalled - they aren't trying to mess you up and give you wrong answers, so don't be too nervous about that.

Application

Interview

Applied through university by submitting resume and cover letter. Process was easy. I received an interview invitation a few days later and interviewed a week after my initial submission. Two interviews, one with a manager, one with a consultant. We walked through a case for each one. They didn’t ask any behavioral questions.

Application

Interview

I applied through on-campus recruiting. Then I got a first round interview that involved 2 case interviews. They were running late that day, so each interviewer only asked me one behavioral question. One was "tell me about yourself." The other was something specific about my resume. The two cases involved both quantitative work and business judgment. The numbers were pretty easy to crunch - nothing you couldn't easily do in your head. They gave me about 2 weeks before the first interview.

Interview Questions

• Our client sells hunting clothing (heavy duty coats, etc). What other markets could the client possibly break into?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I networked with a couple of people at Bain and got the interview through an employee referral. Since I applied through my school, however, I interviewed at the same time as many other candidates in my school, so I did not participate in the off-cycle hiring process, which is supposedly harder. When I arrived in the office, I received a folder with the backgrounds of the consultants that would interview me. It's important to read through them as you'll know who you'd be approaching. Also, both my interviewers gave me cases that they had worked on. The first round consisted of two 30-min one-on-one case interviews in the office. We started with a few typical fit questions like "Why Bain, why consulting, tell me about this experience on your resume, why make the transition from your background (life sciences) to consulting, etc." Then we moved on to the case. The first one was about non-profit work that the consultant had done and would not fit any frameworks. It started with an estimation question and was followed by some qualitative questions. I think I did hit on all important points and built a great rapport with the interviewer, who was a young AC and pretty cool. The second interview was with a more senior consultant and started with similar fit questions. He asked me about my office choices. Then we worked on a case study about a pet food supplier in which the consultant had been involved. It fit a profitability framework and I did not have much trouble finding the problem driving down revenues and profits. I did struggle with the last part of the case which was proposing a solution to the client. Since the consultant had actually worked on that project there was one specific solution he was looking for and it took me some time and some hints from him to get to it. I interviewed today and haven't heard back yet obviously, but I'm not sure if I'll be invited to a second round given my hesitancy with the second case. I would bet that they're looking at outstanding performances as that the cases were not unusually hard. I hope that they account for the fact that the solution to the second case was not obvious after analysis and it was a bit more about guessing. Let's see. Overall I had a great experience and a good impression about the company and the people working there. They were all very professional and friendly. I even got the opportunity to have a mock interview in the office the day before the actual interview without even asking for it.

Interview Questions

• The first case about a non-profit did not follow any traditional structures. The first question was "Try to narrow down all the jobs that our target population could be eligible for".   1 Answer

See What Bain & Company Employees Are Saying

Current Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros: “The people who work at Bain are some of the most caring, bright, fun and passionate individuals I have ever had the opportunity to surround myself with. I feel fully supported by the...”“The people who work at Bain are some of the most caring, bright, fun and passionate individuals I have ever had the opportunity to surround myself with. I feel fully supported by the company in all of my work endeavors, and they have even been incredibly supportive through personal injuries that have occured off the job. The mentorship programs at Bain are unparalleled. The leadership team has a vested interest in all of the associate consultants, and the focus groups (Women at Bain, Global Development, and others) all ensure extra support for different communities and interests. I couldn't be happier with my employer and the people that I get to work with. Throughout my first year with the company I believe I have grown immensely in my work and inter-personal skills.” – Full Review