Bain & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.8

150 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

I applied through my university, and completed a first round interview on campus. The interview was two separate case interviews with two separate interviewers. The cases were nothing too crazy. Minimal behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
  • The case questions were largely graph and figure driven. Had to know to ask the right questions, but also how to be able to properly analyze the given data.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

2 cases during the 1st round interview. Cases were fair if you did case preps.

Interview Questions
    • I had a market entry case. I did a cost-benefit analysis, calculated the approx. break-even period, but i didn't realize that there was a capacity issue until the very end. thought that was tricky   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

The interview process was standard for the consulting industry. First round was an on-campus interview consisting of two cases that were fairly easy. The final round was an office visit with three cases (more difficult) and a fit interview. Overall all the people in the company were very nice and helpful in terms of providing feedback.

Interview Questions
    • The cases in the final round were more difficult and I'm sure are different year to year.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Two first round interviews with Consultants; three second round interviews with Managers and Partners. Engaging in meaningful conversation and demonstrating fit with the office was key in the second round. In both rounds, cases were very straightforward and did not aim to be confusing or misleading, but therefore addressing every element correctly was essential.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing harder than Case in Point, however not a lot of emphasis on advanced frameworks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Questions
    • Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview consisted of two cases. First case involved laundry as a service and breaking it down into segments to better understand how it could grow. Second case involved a company that owned a mall that was looking at growing its revenue through renovation. Had to calculate basic numbers such as payback period and return on investment.

Interview Questions
    • Had to calculate return on investment in my head with no paper or pen so be prepared to think on your feet fast.   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Two rounds of interviews. First round on campus, with two case interviews. Second round was at the Bain office, with another two case interviews (this time with more senior people). Everyone was very friendly and helpful throughout, and the company was very generous with accommodations for the second round. Company was also very good about having alumni reach out to you for practice before each round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • In second round, interviewer asked a very nontraditional case. I was not sure where I was going with it, and despite my attempts to save face, it was obvious to the interviewer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

I did on-campus recruiting at my university, and there were 2 rounds of interviews, with 2 case interviews each. I found the Bain cases to be a bit more straightforward than the cases for BCG and other top consulting firms. They weren't about banks, pharmaceutical companies, or companies in other complex industries that most undergrads don't have a strong background in. Instead, they were analytical problems about corporations most people intuitively understand (grocery chain strategy, airline considering adding an economy-plus program, that sort of thing). Obviously I only had four data points from my cases, but my friends had similar experiences, and the internship interviews this year seemed to go the same way for people I knew. I think the flipside of the easier questions was that they expected a higher standard of performance from people because the ceiling of the test was lower and the scenarios weren't hard to understand conceptually. It seemed like they gave us cases that feel manageable to try to put us at ease, but they didn't accept a lot of the candidates I knew who felt they had made small errors or had given solid but unremarkable performances. The interviewers seemed happiest when I went into depth and tried creative answers during the brainstorming parts of the cases, so I think they might be looking for particularly well-considered answers to cases that seem simple on face.

I also think my interviewers cared about presentation and personality based on what they said about the cases after I got my offer. They want people who are high-energy (VERY peppy and friendly -- this was a unifying characteristic for the people I met at the firm, and my friends who work there have confirmed that it's emphasized in the corporate culture) and would be good at giving a client presentation. Have a big Starbucks before your final round if you're a laid-back personality type, and don't let nerves or number-crunching get in the way of having a clear conversation with your interviewer. Long story short, the Bain cases weren't so tough, but to get the job you'll need to distinguish yourself with some innovative ideas and a great demeanor.

Interview Questions
    • I found the case interviews to be straightforward. If you prepared, you'll be fine. Even if you didn't prepare much but you're just used to thinking on your feet, you'll probably be fine.   View Answer

If you get the job and you're comparing it to others to make a decision, find a way to speak to people who have left the firm in addition to the people the recruiting department puts you in touch with. They have an amazing recruiting team and I think they spend a LOT of time and money trying to get you to sign, but obviously the people they put you in touch with are the ones who are the happiest about their time at the firm. I talked to probably 30+ employees trying to make a decision (I know that sounds kind of ridiculous, but at least 20 of them spontaneously called to say congrats and answer questions). They got my name because recruiting reached out to them, but I ended up asked those employees if they had any friends who had left the firm for other careers after their first few years there, and those people provided a radically different perspective in many cases. At all up-or-out management consulting firms like Bain, there's a clear crowd of people who succeeded and were a good fit (these are managers, partners, and star consultants recruiting will put you in touch with), and there's a separate group of people who were the wrong personality type, found the work unfulfilling, or had horrible experiences with the workload (these people leave the firm quickly, and if they're still employed there, they don't voice these concerns to recruits). Talking to people who had bad experiences and felt like they weren't personality fits for the firm helped me to get both sides of that story. Neither perspective is really more valid than the other, and Bain has many more happy employees than detractors, but ultimately you're the person who is best situated to tell whether you're more similar to the happy employees or the people who felt they didn't enjoy the work or didn't fit in. I ended up deciding it wasn't for me and going into non-profit work, but I think it's a great firm, and for someone with different long-term goals and a more extroverted personality, I think it would be an awesome place to start a career.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

I applied through on campus recruiting and managed to score a first round interview with Bain. They were really great from start to finish, super efficient, organized and very caring. For first round interviewees, Bain held a case workshop to teach us how to handle cases interviews. The next day (and the day before my interview) I also received a call from one of the consultants of Bain to do a mock interview run through with her.

The first round was about 90 minutes, and there were 2 cases, both were interviewer led. The cases were fairly easy and the interviewers were really nice and encouraging. I don't think I did an outstanding job so I doubt I'll get a 2nd call back but it was definitely a good introduction to the world of consulting and Bain culture.

Surprised to get a callback to the second round. Will update this review as I go through the process. One thing that stuck out to me was how caring Bain was, my "buddy" reached out to me to congratulate me for getting through to the next round and offered great advice.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. They just ask you questions about the case. Very little calculations too.   Answer Question