Bain & Company

138 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Went through on campus recruiting, first round interview consists of two back to back case interviews with different interviewers with no fit component. Upon passing this, final rounds consist of four back to back interviews, 3 case and one fit. The order is random, but you're guaranteed one interview with a principal or partner.

It felt surprisingly calm and much less stressful than I had anticipated because of how friendly everyone at the office was, but the cases were difficult nonetheless

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for entry level positions - compensation is fixed nationally.

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for an internship, not knowing much about management consulting or the interview process. I did well in the interview and was surprised by A. how much I enjoyed the process and B. how friendly the people were. My advice to applicants is to prepare rigorously (not what I did), for both the case and experience parts of the interview.

Interview Question – Estimate how many windows are in New York   View Answers (31)

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2011.

Interview Details – Flew down for all day second-round, all paid for. Had two one hour case interviews, fairly straightforward. There was also a meeting with a Manager for about a half hour trying to gauge my interest in and actual understanding of consulting. Went out to lunch with a couple ACs, overall positive experience just not a cultural fit.

Interview Question – My friend is opening up a wedding dress store in Dallas-Ft Worth. What should she consider/estimate market share after first year.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – There were two rounds that consisted of interviews with individual interviewers. In each round there were 2 cases with different consultants - there was a behavioral interview and a case, followed by questions. The format was the same for the final rounds which also consisted of 2 interviews, but with more senior managers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you dealt with a conflict.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied to college recruiting. Got first round interview. It consists of 2 45-minutes case interview. The first case is a bit shorter and I spent the first 10 minutes answering behavioral questions. The 2nd case took the entire 45 minutes. There were some numbers to calculate and market size estimation questions. Mostly it's interviewer led.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Bain?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2009.

Interview Details – There are two rounds of interviews. If you are offered a second round interview, your odds of getting an offer are quite good. Each round of interviews consists of two back-to-back 30-minute interviews with a senior employee. Each 30 minute segment consists of about 15 minutes of "fit" questions and about 15 minutes of a practice case. The interviewers, like the vast majority of people at the firm, are very pleasant and encouraging.

Interview Question – [Case interview]   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no real negotiation on the associate consultant level. There is a standard package that you either accept or reject.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – I attended both the information session and the coffeehouse chats that Bain held on-campus prior to my interview with them. In my experience, you can tell a lot about the priorities of a company with regards to how they feel about their human capital through their interview process. That said, Bain has NO behavioral interview for its first round. It consists of two separate case interviews with two different interviewers (senior managers or partners). Practice your cases with friends, by yourself, with your significant other, and anyone else you can wrangle before you step into the interview room. You will NOT advance to the next round on the merits of your looks and charm alone. That said, they do genuinely want you to do well and to not be too nervous. They provide you with a mock interview workshop in their office a few nights before and assign you a resource (who, for me, was very pro-active about reaching out) who is currently an AC and usually a relatively new hire who can give you good advice and empathize.

Unfortunately for me, I was cut down by a bad case of the flu the night before my interview. Moral of the story: don't forget to take care of yourself during recruiting season. Get your rest, wash your hands often, and make sure you get your vitamins.

Interview Question – Assess the profitability of building a cell phone tower in a given small town (all the data will be provided)   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – Out of M/B/B, Bain's interviews were definitely the easiest. I got very standard case interviews for the first round, in which I was given a lot of hints and guidance throughout the cases. The second round was a bit more difficult because the interviewer made me structure the case independently and choose a particular direction to follow.

From talking with my other friends who also interviewed at Bain, it seems that because their case interviews are relatively easy, you really have to make sure you don't make any stupid math mistakes. A friend of mine who received an offer from McKinsey (a very articulate, smart guy) did not even get to the second round with Bain. According to his interviewer, it was because he made a small computational mistake in his first round interview.

Interview Questions

Boston, MA

Interview Details – Two rounds: first was on-campus, not office specific, with much younger members of the firm. Bain's cases follow a very structured model, for which Profit = Revenue - Cost almost always work. Most cases start with some brainstorming, moves on to basic market sizing scenario, and closes with some calculation before you present ideas. As there is a meet and greet session the night before the interview (at least at my school), there was no time wasted on fit or questions on leadership experiences and such. ~30 minutes per case.

Second round will typically be at the office (although, with some offices, interviews are held at the closest local office - perhaps to save the company some money?). ~45 minutes per interview. Two interviews, with higher ranking officials; usually at least one partner, but not always. Cases are *very* similar to first rounds, but are a little longer. Interview is longer as around 10 minutes is spent on fit questions (why Bain/consulting, what you enjoy doing on campus, describe yourself in three words etc). I don't recall getting an questions on leadership experiences or "how did/will you handle x scenario" type questions either.

Be yourself! Bain loves people who are charismatic and engaging, and this is typified in the people you will be interviewing with. Of the three (MBB), in my experience, Bain had the easiest, most straight-forward case, with a clear path and relatively easy and direct numbers.

Interview Question – What words would your friends use to describe you?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – Did recruiting through school. First rounds with 2 separate 40 minute interviews; did behavioral and case for both of these. Got feedback from interviewers as I moved on to second round. Second rounds were in the office with three 1 on 1 interviews; one was more of a mini-case and mostly fit then the other two were mainly case and a little fit.

People ALL throughout were extremely friendly--I was expecting to get toasted/severely stress tested by the senior management in final rounds (did ibanking interview before and that was brutal) but they were incredibly open and felt I could really show them my stuff. Seems like the ACs drive the culture and it'd be really fun to work in the company!

Interview Question – Given your finance background, why consulting?   Answer Question