Bain & Company

Bain & Company Associate Interview Questions

3.3

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round Interview: Two case interviews. I completely failed one of them and did all right with the other. Basically, I was ill-prepared and not comfortable with being able to think structurally. However, the Bain consultants were extremely friendly and supportive and provided great feedback and support.

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Applied online. First round interview in NYC office. 2 30-minute cases.

Interview Questions
    • Normal profitability case. Most difficult questions are brainstorming questions that test creativity. Quantitative questions are easy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Bain & Company rarely interviews PhD candidates for associate positions, so I was surprised and flattered to land this interview at all. I attribute my success mainly to meeting a partner from Bain & Company for coffee who was one of the first PhD hires ever at Bain and also an alumnus at the institute where I am pursuing graduate studies. This partner was so impressed with me that she/he told me I had to apply.

The interview was standard consulting fare. There were two back-to-back case interviews. The first one with with an engagement-manger level associate, and the second one was with a principal level consultant. I had great rapport with my first interviewer; he even told me about the time half the office dressed up like vikings and "pillaged" the other employers with plastic weaponry. My first interviewer even remarked that I was not their typical interviewee, but he noted that the partner I met had recommended me.

From the start, my second interviewer seemed disinterested in me in general. He gave me a case, but he preceding it by telling me it would not very serious or structured. He delivered on his promise and the case was pretty open-ended. He didn't even ask me to sum up my findings when it was over. We had some pleasant Q&A after the case, but I could sense that he was just clearly not interested in hiring me.

The nicest thing about Bain & Company is that they call you right away. They don't leave you hanging in any sense; I got the rejection call that same evening--I was expecting a rejection of course. My first interviewer made the call--no doubt since he actually like me. He told me it was great to meet me, but that I wasn't "at the level they needed me to be at" for a call-back to interview for round two. I'm not sure that feedback was particularly helpful, but I did appreciate the quick phone call.

Interview Questions
    • A major chemical distribution firm wants to grow its business. How to approach outlining a growth strategy for them?   View Answer
    • A major casino company has been losing revenues over the past two years. How would you approach figuring out why?   View Answer

Associate Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2008.

The interview consisted of two one on one interviews. Each interview was thirty minutes long and consisted of some personal questions and then a quick case. Interviewers were very polite. There were other students interviewing at the same time throughout the whole day. They let you know the results the next day.

Associate Interview

I initially contacted the recruitment team with an email. They got straight back to me. After some time communicating electronically they offered me to do the case study in their office. Overall very good and friendly. Discussing my CV and my previous experiences. Having done the preparation no unexpected questions. Moscow office case study was reasonably hard.

Interview Questions
    • As it was said above Moscow office case study was reasonably hard. However, nothing to be feared. The largest question on the case study was the calculation of cost apportionment. My advise, practice doing calculations by hand. It is essential that you do it quick. Otherwise you run out of time.   Answer Question

2 round, case interviews with some behavior

Associate Interview

I applied through my school's career website and had my first round interview on campus. The first round consisted of 2 back to back 30 minute cases with senior analysts. I was called back for a second round interview within 3 days, and the second round consisted of 2 back to back 45 minute interviews (the cases still only took 30 minutes, but the extra time was given to allow candidates to chat with their interviewer).

Interview Questions
    • The cases were pretty standard profit cases, nothing too unexpected, just listen carefully to the details of the case and make sure to brush up on your mental math   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in November 2011.

Initial 1:1 interviews at Chicago office, with fairly standard cases. One deals with credit cards and the other about call centers (how to minimize the cost, calculating the benefit/dollar invested etc.). Then final round in Boston, meeting with Bain people from China. Not so standard questions which require knowledge of local market. Very concrete examples, so a good knowledge base will be very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • How to expand the market penetration of a dairy company given that its competitors are more efficient in marketing and have larger market share   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milano (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milano (Italy)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in November 2011.

2 interviews with principal and director following the same format: 10 minutes talk about motivation and experience, 1 business case. interview with hr about motivation and experience, pretty classic questions

Interview Questions
    • what it we don't call you for a second round of interviews?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in April 2010.

I applied to Kiev office in April 2010 by sending CV, CL and Recommendation directly to their recruitiing email. A bit more than in a week i got the invitation to first round interviews which consited of two 1x1 interviews 1hr each. Both sessions were pretty much standardly structured (experience, case, QA). I think i've done well in first parts of intereviews disscussing my past work and activities. But when it came to case studies, i got nervous and took the wrong path to solve them. The cases were really standard, as in WetFeet publications - declining profit and revenue drivers. I chose appropriate frameworks both times but was too concerned about the structure so couldnot get to the solution.
    I received a call two days later with a usufull feedback.
    My advice would be not to concentrate on the framework you use. After you choose the structure how you're gonna tackle this business problem, spend all your thinking on solving the problem and finding doable recommendations.
    Overall interview experience was great - smart people and interesting tasks. But the rejection was a bit upsetting, as the interviewer said that after the half time of interview he thought he would recommend inviting me to the next round, but in the second part i messed all up.

Interview Questions
    • What is your gratest achivement in your past work experience and what skills you gained in it which will help you in consulting?   Answer Question
    • Can we achieve a 10% growth in excessive luggage revenues for airline company? CEO is confident we can.   Answer Question