Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. First round interview in NYC office. 2 30-minute cases.

Interview Question – Normal profitability case. Most difficult questions are brainstorming questions that test creativity. Quantitative questions are easy.   Answer Question

Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – First Round Interview: Two case interviews. I completely failed one of them and did all right with the other. Basically, I was ill-prepared and not comfortable with being able to think structurally. However, the Bain consultants were extremely friendly and supportive and provided great feedback and support.

Interview Question – regular 1st round case interviews   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Bain & Company rarely interviews PhD candidates for associate positions, so I was surprised and flattered to land this interview at all. I attribute my success mainly to meeting a partner from Bain & Company for coffee who was one of the first PhD hires ever at Bain and also an alumnus at the institute where I am pursuing graduate studies. This partner was so impressed with me that she/he told me I had to apply.

The interview was standard consulting fare. There were two back-to-back case interviews. The first one with with an engagement-manger level associate, and the second one was with a principal level consultant. I had great rapport with my first interviewer; he even told me about the time half the office dressed up like vikings and "pillaged" the other employers with plastic weaponry. My first interviewer even remarked that I was not their typical interviewee, but he noted that the partner I met had recommended me.

From the start, my second interviewer seemed disinterested in me in general. He gave me a case, but he preceding it by telling me it would not very serious or structured. He delivered on his promise and the case was pretty open-ended. He didn't even ask me to sum up my findings when it was over. We had some pleasant Q&A after the case, but I could sense that he was just clearly not interested in hiring me.

The nicest thing about Bain & Company is that they call you right away. They don't leave you hanging in any sense; I got the rejection call that same evening--I was expecting a rejection of course. My first interviewer made the call--no doubt since he actually like me. He told me it was great to meet me, but that I wasn't "at the level they needed me to be at" for a call-back to interview for round two. I'm not sure that feedback was particularly helpful, but I did appreciate the quick phone call.

Interview Questions

• A major chemical distribution firm wants to grow its business. How to approach outlining a growth strategy for them?   View Answer
  • A major casino company has been losing revenues over the past two years. How would you approach figuring out why?   View Answer

Associate

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2008.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of two one on one interviews. Each interview was thirty minutes long and consisted of some personal questions and then a quick case. Interviewers were very polite. There were other students interviewing at the same time throughout the whole day. They let you know the results the next day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for bain   View Answer

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – I initially contacted the recruitment team with an email. They got straight back to me. After some time communicating electronically they offered me to do the case study in their office. Overall very good and friendly. Discussing my CV and my previous experiences. Having done the preparation no unexpected questions. Moscow office case study was reasonably hard.

Interview Question – As it was said above Moscow office case study was reasonably hard. However, nothing to be feared. The largest question on the case study was the calculation of cost apportionment. My advise, practice doing calculations by hand. It is essential that you do it quick. Otherwise you run out of time.   Answer Question

Interview Details – 2 round, case interviews with some behavior

Interview Question – Crisis solving experience   Answer Question

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – I applied through my school's career website and had my first round interview on campus. The first round consisted of 2 back to back 30 minute cases with senior analysts. I was called back for a second round interview within 3 days, and the second round consisted of 2 back to back 45 minute interviews (the cases still only took 30 minutes, but the extra time was given to allow candidates to chat with their interviewer).

Interview Question – The cases were pretty standard profit cases, nothing too unexpected, just listen carefully to the details of the case and make sure to brush up on your mental math   Answer Question

Milano (Italy)

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in November 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews with principal and director following the same format: 10 minutes talk about motivation and experience, 1 business case. interview with hr about motivation and experience, pretty classic questions

Interview Question – what it we don't call you for a second round of interviews?   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in November 2011.

Interview Details – Initial 1:1 interviews at Chicago office, with fairly standard cases. One deals with credit cards and the other about call centers (how to minimize the cost, calculating the benefit/dollar invested etc.). Then final round in Boston, meeting with Bain people from China. Not so standard questions which require knowledge of local market. Very concrete examples, so a good knowledge base will be very helpful.

Interview Question – How to expand the market penetration of a dairy company given that its competitors are more efficient in marketing and have larger market share   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews back to back for 1 hour each. The first was a behavioral interview where I was asked to give an example of a time when you... The second was a case study. Mine was on the semiconductor business, which I was quite unfamiliar with. My advice is that you should familiarize yourself with every sector and understand the basics of how business is conducted in each. I had a solid understanding of business but because I was unfamiliar with semiconductor, I missed some of the basic questions that could have been answered with a simple review.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting (vs. investment bank)? And why this region?   View Answer
  • How should I go about analyzing a semiconductor business? What are the first steps?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company Associate interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.