Bain & Company Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Jun 9, 2015

3.5

Help Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a standard auto-confirmation receipt. I was contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview, which occurred two days later. At the end of the phone interview an in-person interview was scheduled for two days afterward. I went into their Boston office and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. I then met with 4 members of the Help Desk team in 15-25 minute increments. Each person was very energetic an welcoming, further enforcing the friendly atmosphere of the company. Even the rejection letter I received two days later was very warm and polite. Despite not being offered the position this was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• I was given a laptop computer that could not connect to the internet and had to diagnose the problem.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Overall the recruiters/interviewers were nice. You were welcomed in a waiting room where youd meet some of the other candidates. However the interview was one hour delayed and i had to start as late as 6pm. Bain puts a lot of focus on quant so i suggest to review your Gmat math.
    1st round included 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Standard market sizing question: Estimate market size for replacement tires in the US.
      Business situation case. Quant focused

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume online, and was called back within a week of having submitted it. There were two rounds of interviews, each 15 minutes long and each with a Consultant. This might be because I was a college student, but prior to the interview, I was contacted by an Analyst who helped guide me through the process. I highly encourage individuals applying to take advantage of this person.

Interview Questions

• For the first round of interviews, there was a very short behavioral question segment (tell me about yourself, tell me about x and y on your resume, highlight 3 points on your resume for me etc) and then a case. The case is based off of a recent project of theirs. It's not wildly difficult by any means, but the presentation is expected to be very clean. Confidence is critical.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me about my online application and asked to schedule an initial phone call regarding my background and experience. She asked me questions about my past employment, why I was looking for a new job, why Bain/ this role in particular. A few days later, I had my first round of interviews with four different members of the team, who asked me a mix of situational questions and behavioral questions: what were my biggest strengths/ weaknesses, why am I excited about this role, where do I see myself in 5 years, etc. A couple of weeks after, I came into the office a second time for another round of interviews. I met three different individuals on the HR team and had a similar array of questions. Everyone was welcoming and very honest with me about the responsibilities and culture.

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied through my college career center website , got invited to interview on-campus.
    First-round interviews consist of two 30-minute back-to-back interviews with two Associates.
    Interviewers were very nice, and made me feel at ease. The cases were purely mathematical, with very little business insight required (not expecting that at all). If you were good at math and kept calm, you would pass the first round easily.

Interview Questions

• The qustions were not very difficult. The first one required me to estimate revenues and profits for a family-owned restaurant wanting to open a second branch in a town nearby. Second case was about a high-end luxury watch manufacturer in New England considering whether to enter the affordable watch market.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

On-campus recruitment with university; after an interview at the career center with 2 30 min cases from senior associate consultants we received an email the next day that we were selected for final round interviews. The final rounds were held in the Back Bay office with two directors giving 60 min cases (with some fit questions).

Interview Questions

• The business case was confusing in that it involved the transportation and storage of a good (but not the sale or purchase of the good itself) so it was difficult to conceptualize all of the variables   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Went through a college recruiting process — standard resume, cover letter. Did not network at all with Bain before beginning the interviews and did only a few cases as prep. First round was two 30-minute case interviews with a few fit questions and resume reviews; they were behind schedule and felt rushed. The two interviewers were both young Consultants, recent business school graduates, who were friendly and supportive even in a few moments I struggled with a case. One complimented my socks.

Somehow, I got through them, and the next day was invited to another office for a final-round interview a week later. Three candidates were there for that position; the night before, we had dinner and drinks with a collection of managers, consultants, and associates in the office. It was a relaxed, no-pressure environment, and I had ample opportunity to schmooze and relax with the assembled staff. (I actually thought it was a fun dinner.)

On the day of the final round interviews, I was given my interviewers' biographies (which I should have gotten at the dinner, had I not needed to leave early). I and the other two candidates filled out background-check information forms nervously before our interviews. The recruiters and receptionists were very friendly and a calming presence. The format was three 40-minute interviews; two were case interviews (one with a manager and one with a partner) and one was a fit interview with a consultant who worked as a mentor within the firm. I luckily had my cases first and then my fit interview, which let me ease into the day.

Both case interviews were challenging, but stimulating. They were not framework-friendly, and instead were driven by intellection and inference — it was crucial to apply Bain's hypothesis-driven approach to succeed. I stumbled in both, but kept up a great rapport with both the manager and partner. They were fun. The second interview was by far the most challenging; I was essentially made to ask questions and throw out dozens of hypotheses for a case which was not exactly solvable. The fit interview was very relaxed and friendly — some "why consulting," "what makes Bain stand out," "what other firms are you considering," and "what should we expect if we give you an offer" questions, but mostly a nice chat with a lovely person.

I flew back to school and received a Saturday afternoon phone call from the partner who had interviewed me, both to congratulate me on receiving an offer and to offer immediate feedback on my approach to the cases. He dissected my approach and gave me constructive feedback and areas to focus on in the future with Bain. Perhaps his most interesting note was that, while the two other candidates (from engineering and business undergraduate programs) breezed through the cases mathematically, I was less detail-oriented but more right-brained, and that the firm valued liberal-arts students like myself. (His exact words were "your left brain is teachable.") I was extended an offer in writing three days later.

Interview Questions

• Being flat-out told "You're wrong. Why are you wrong?" in a case with a partner.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really wasn't that much negotiation there — I didn't have any other offers and was happy with what I had been offered, so it was an easy sign. Perhaps I should have fought for it.

Consultant (First Year) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

They did not recruit at my school however I was lucky enough to receive an interview. First round was via phone with 2 principles. Fit interview for 10 mins then 1 case from each interviewer. Cases were not so hard straight forward but they were very dynamics and encompassed many different frameworks.

Interview Questions

• How much to purchase competitor even if it is loosing money. Interviewer asked this question in many different ways.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

Back-to-back case interviews, one more difficult than the other. The process was in the office, and included some time to ask questions of the interviewers. The interviewers threw in twists involving difficult math problems, or items that might make one nervous. As long as you approach the problem rationally, and do well with the math, you should be fine.

Help Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

Submitted app via LinkedIn. Was contacted by recruiter within a few weeks. After a normal telephone interview, was invited to the local office to participate in an in-person interview. First met with the HR recruiter I had the tele interview with. Then had 4 separate interviews with different members of helpdesk team. Each took about 30 minutes.