Bain & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2015

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The first round was two 40-minute case interviews, one with a consultant and one with an engagement manager. They were fairly straightforward. The second and final round had three parts: a written interview, where you prepared a case for 60 minutes from a stack of 20 slides, and then presented it to a partner; a standard case interview with a partner; and a behavioral case interview with a partner.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were analytical.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2015.

Interview

2 case interviews in the first round - each 45 minutes. Mine was with a partner and a case team leader. They were very tough cases and I felt like I bombed it. Had to be guided - made a calculation error, but I enjoyed the experience and was invited for a second round interview!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Need to apply online (it's best if one builds relationships with people at the firm before sending the application. If you're an MBA candidate of one of Bain's target schools, make use of all the opportunities given to you during the recruiting process. The more advocates you have in the firm, the more chances of getting an interview) First round: 2 case interviews 45-60 minutes What's important here is to be structured and drive the case (vs. McKinsey, where you have to answer specific questions posed to you but you're not driving the case) Second round: case interviews, written case interview and fit interview Important for the written case is time management. You'll get a big deck with a lot of information, and time management is key to quickly understand the problem, come up with a hypothesis and argue for a solution based on the data available Important for the fit interview is to not give general answers (e.g., I like Bain because the people I've met are great". Be as specific as possible about why YOU and how you can contribute to Bain)

Interview Questions

• Be ready to have cases about every industry and capaiblity area (e.g., from music shows, to cement construction companies, food, retail, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Salaries and benefits are the same for each new class

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First-round interviews consisted of two 40-minute case interviews with consulting staff. No fit questions were asked – almost all time was spent on the case. Both interviewers were friendly but disinterested, looking at their phones less than five minutes into the interview. It struck me as rude, but perhaps it was a stress tactic to see how I would react.

Consultant Interview

Interview

The recrutting consisted in 6 case interviews and a written case. It is important to be really prepare for the written case and the behavioural interviews that take place aswell.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Overall the recruiters/interviewers were nice. You were welcomed in a waiting room where youd meet some of the other candidates. However the interview was one hour delayed and i had to start as late as 6pm. Bain puts a lot of focus on quant so i suggest to review your Gmat math. 1st round included 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Standard market sizing question: Estimate market size for replacement tires in the US. Business situation case. Quant focused   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through the campus recruiting program at a top-MBA program. I interviewed in New York with a consultant and a senior consultant from European offices. It was the standard consulting case setup, very brief background/fit and an fairly structured case question. They came back with reasonably helpful feedback shortly after the interview. Interviewers were nice enough.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

First, there is a resume and cover letter drop by the recruiting deadline in early fall. Then, first of two interview rounds started three weeks later. We were notified a week and a half before the first interview date although they were flexible on the interview week in case there was any date conflict. Those outside the immediate office area did first rounds over the phone. First round is basically all case driven. Doing well on both case interviews while being able to answer a few personal fit questions meant that you passed the first round.

Interview Questions

• What industry or type of work are you most interested in and why? What is the biggest leadership role you've had?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1 round of on-campus interview followed by a second and final round of interview at the Bain office in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer, who's a partner at Bain presented a case of an less-than-optimal investment opportunity, and asked me to evaluate this opportunity and give the potential investor, a retired senior management professional a recommendation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

applied online through referral from a friend, received an interview 2 weeks later, onsite in Chicago Bain office, 2 consective typical case interivews, face to face, not so difficult, but very stressful