Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.7

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The first round was two 40-minute case interviews, one with a consultant and one with an engagement manager. They were fairly straightforward. The second and final round had three parts: a written interview, where you prepared a case for 60 minutes from a stack of 20 slides, and then presented it to a partner; a standard case interview with a partner; and a behavioral case interview with a partner.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were analytical.   2 Answers

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First round interview on campus followed by final round elsewhere - did not advance to final round.
    applied online with a resume and cover letter and was contacted by their campus representative to set up the interview. Two standards cases for the first round, zero fit. You have to nail both cases to advance. You can't be passive, you really have to drive from beginning to end

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The interview was fairly standard. It started off with about 15 minutes of introductions and hellos and then proceeded to go into details regarding a case. The questions were very straight forward and fair however the case itself was quite challenging. I would definitely recommend prepping a lot beforehand to be prepared to give clear and concise answers effectively.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain and why consulting? (I was switching from another unrelated field)   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

two short interviews with both case and fit in the New York office, met with two younger consultants. Interview was mostly focused on case with about 5 min of fit

Interview Questions

• Typical Cases you might see in Case and Point....one market entry and one M&A....the cases were very multi faceted which made them more difficult   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

First round has two 30-minute interviews, including self-introduction and a case. Very typical Bain style--straightforward and has market sizing component. Both interviewers are very nice and guided me through problem solving. They also made comment like "that is correct" after I did the calculation. Final round has two 45-minute interviews, with more behavior and fit questions as well as a more complicated case.

Interview Questions

• Qualitative question is hard to answer on the spot. They expect you to brainstorm some ideas very quickly.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through my university. I heard back a week later and had a week to prepare for my back-to-back interview. They were two 30-minute case interviews. The first 5 minutes of each had general questions like "Why consulting?" "Why Bain?" But the bulk of the interview was case interviews. First case was with a Junior Consultant, the second case was with a Senior Consultant.

This was my first consulting interview, so I didn't really expect to get it... But the cases had way more math than I anticipated. The interviewers were really nice though and were good at helping you steer your way through the case without being dicks about it. I do think the Junior Consultant "helped" me too much though. He didn't give me any time to think it through, while the Senior Consultant gave me time and let me talk out my thoughts before steering me in a certain direction.

Interview Questions

• Should a telephone company charge per minute or per second?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Two first-round interviews conducted back to back, each 30 minutes. Marginal focus on fit questions - case studies took up the majority of the interview. Interviewers offered few guiding questions and tailored specific questions to match up with my responses.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1 half an hour case study focusing on solving a business challenge by asking for information from the interviewer, followed by a 15 minute fit interview, and another 15 min case study.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about yourself, both at home and after coming to college?"
      "Why are you interested in working for Bain?"

Answer Question

Associate ConsultantFirst Round Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 back to back 40-minute cases with last 10 mins devoted to a behavioral conversation. Cases were pretty straight-forward, lots of graphs and charts to read. More interviewer-style cases. Profitability and market entry.

Interview Questions

• Size the market for refurbished/ reused phones. Should we enter that market?
      How to improve revenues at a grocery store.

Answer Question

ACI Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interviewed on campus. Two back-to-back 30-minute interviews. The first one was divided into behavioral questions and a mini case. The second interview has a longer case. Both cases were pretty quantitative.

Before the interview somebody from the company contacted me for a practice case, which was in addition to the workshop they ran on campus.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain? Why consulting? What do you like to do in your own time?   Answer Question