Bain & Company

Updated Nov 19, 2014

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Need to apply online (it's best if one builds relationships with people at the firm before sending the application. If you're an MBA candidate of one of Bain's target schools, make use of all the opportunities given to you during the recruiting process. The more advocates you have in the firm, the more chances of getting an interview)

First round: 2 case interviews 45-60 minutes
    What's important here is to be structured and drive the case (vs. McKinsey, where you have to answer specific questions posed to you but you're not driving the case)

Second round: case interviews, written case interview and fit interview
    Important for the written case is time management. You'll get a big deck with a lot of information, and time management is key to quickly understand the problem, come up with a hypothesis and argue for a solution based on the data available

Important for the fit interview is to not give general answers (e.g., I like Bain because the people I've met are great". Be as specific as possible about why YOU and how you can contribute to Bain)

Interview Questions
    • Be ready to have cases about every industry and capaiblity area (e.g., from music shows, to cement construction companies, food, retail, etc.)   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Salaries and benefits are the same for each new class

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

On campus recruiting. First round and then final round interview. Both rounds were quite similar except first round had more market sizing. Second round one case had a chart.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult private equity case without much information to work with.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Contacted for an interview after submitting an application via university recruiting. Great interview prep resources online and with a session at their office. First round interview consisted of 2 back-to-back case interviews, no experience questions were asked. One case was a little softer than the other in terms of quant/math questions, but both had those aspects to them.

Interview Questions
    • Both cases had tricky aspects to their quant questions.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

got the interview invite through on-campus career center. went through the 1st round by nailing two typical cases (no behavioral questions). the 2nd round was in a hotel. the interviewers really tried to throw you off by providing lots of information that were irrelevant to the case - i was tricked. If i knew before hand, i could have done better.

Interview Questions
    • case questions: there was one case the interviewer threw 11-12 exhibits at me and asked for takeaways   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First-round interviews consisted of two 40-minute case interviews with consulting staff. No fit questions were asked – almost all time was spent on the case. Both interviewers were friendly but disinterested, looking at their phones less than five minutes into the interview. It struck me as rude, but perhaps it was a stress tactic to see how I would react.

Entry-Level Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First round phone interview that consisted of two 30-minute case studies. They were fairly average case questions, one included a market sizing component, but both were math heavy. I spoke with two separate interviewers, and both were extremely professional and very good at facilitating discussion throughout the case. They left about 5 minutes at the end of the interview to discuss my background and give with the opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Something unexpected was the amount of math that parts of the cases involved. I had to calculate costs, profit margins, and changes in profits with little information provided, which, while not extremely difficult, was time consuming.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through on-campus recruiting, you end up going through pretty standard case interviews for a consulting firm. People were really really nice and I enjoyed going through the cases with them. They ended up calling back a couple hours later saying that I got the final round, so I'm waiting on that in the next week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What are potential costs associated with building out hospital IT infrastructure?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Recruited through school, they made a very good presentation and ensured that prospective candidates understood the whole process in detail. They held several workshops to prep for the case interviews with associate consultants. Interview of first round consisted of 2 interviews with a case manager and a principal. One case was a new venture and the other was increasing profits in an insurance company

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied after attending the on campus info-session, and received a first round after a week or so. Before the interview, there was a case workshop to help prepare you for the interview. First round consisted of 2 back to back case interviews, 45 minutes each. There were no behavior component for either of my interviews, and the cases were rather typical. The interviewers were very helpful, and I would say that it was a more interviewer led interview (compared to other management consulting firms' interviewee led interview style).

Consultant Interview

The recrutting consisted in 6 case interviews and a written case. It is important to be really prepare for the written case and the behavioural interviews that take place aswell.