Bain & Company

316 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part-time Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – Just a brief phone interview. A case of ivory product pricing.

Negotiation Details – No.

Associate Consultant Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – Went to a number of recruiting events on and around campus of my MBA School. Made approx. 12 personal contacts with 1:1 email/discussion calls with each one. This led to my name being placed on a list of preferred candidates. Got a first round interview request 3 days before the interview date.

Case Prep was fast and furious, especially considering the nuances between Bain and McKinsey cases (I had 1 month prep time for my McKinsey first round). I had my first round interview in the Bain offices in my home city with two Principals (in their offices). The interviews were straight forward and structured with the following format:

1 - Resume review with questions - 15/20 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 20/25 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 5/10 minutes

The Interviewers were nice and supportive, at the end of each case they explained the actual case and how the company "solved" the client "problem". In both cases I got the case "right" by coming to the same conclusion as the Bain case team.

I heard back from one of my interviewers the morning of the next business day that I got into the second round. I set up my 2nd round interview for later that week at my target office.

The second round had 3 interviews with partners with 2 being traditional case-based and 1 being the vaunted written case. My window was 3.5 hours long and, accordingly, there were 3 people (including me) interviewing in my window. You are provided with the names and credentials of your interviewers days before the interview giving time for LinkedIn stalking and custom question generation. Upon entering the office you are informed which interviewer will be administering the written case (this immediately lets you know when you will be presenting the written case, in your 1st, 2nd, or last interview).

The first hour had the three applicants sit in a room and review the 40 some slides related to the written case with a consultant "proctoring" the process. This period is critical for time management as you have to complete 3 slides on [Executive Summary], [Recommendations + Risks], and [Day 1 Activities] and identify some subset of slides to present with your insights (7-8).

Next, you go to your first interview which, in my case, was a separate case that had nothing to do with the written case. This interview is straight forward with resume walk through, interviewer fit questions, case discussion, ending in Q&A. In my experience, I felt a greater emphasis on the case in the first interview

1 - Resume review with specific/focused questions - 10/15 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 20/25 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 5/10 minutes

The 2nd interview was my written case where we did a high-level discussion of experience, followed by the written case, ending in Q&A.

1 - Resume review with questions - 5/10 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 30/35 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 5 minutes

The 3rd and final interview was the most relaxed of the bunch with lots of small talk and very little case discussion. The case was a breeze.

1 - Resume review with questions - 15/20 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 10/15 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 15/20 minutes

I heard back from the written case partner the next business day with the news that I did not earn a spot but that they wanted me to apply for full-time later in the year. Since then he has set up in-depth feedback sessions with me to improve my performance next time.

Interview Question – The written case was very challenging in identifying what I needed to present and how focused my recommendations should be.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – First round interview - two back-to-back 30-45 min interviews, mixture of cases and fit in each. Market sizing question and a market entry question. Interviewers were nice and professional. Fit portions only consisted of discussing 3 work experiences from my resume. They take a day to tell you whether you got through to the next round.

Interview Question – How many years will it take the ham manufacturer to cover his fixed costs if he expands to this new market?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Process was very quick from application to first round interview. interviews took place on campus. it was a straightforward 2-5 minutes of small talk and then the case interview. two back to back 30 minute cases and done.

Interview Question – study your cases   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – I got the interview through on-campus recruiting. Was studying abroad at the time so had to do a Skype interview. Two interviewers who seemed thoroughly uninterested in anything I had to say starting from the beginning.

Contacted same day.

Interview Question – Case on clothing company.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

Manager Assistant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was 1.5 hours: met with HR Manager, person whose job I would be filling, and another current Manager Assistant. VERY positive and pleasant experience. Comfortable atmosphere with genuine and enthusiastic people. I knew this was where I wanted to work after the first interview. Second/final interview was 1.5 hours: met with 2 Managers and the HR Manager.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions based on scenarios you would face in the role.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – I applied through our campus recruiting, and had a first round phone interview that consisted of two cases back to back, then had final rounds at the Bain Boston office that were again two cases back to back. The final rounds also had a "fit" component in addition to the case.

Interview Question – The cases were all fairly similar, and not too complicated. Each had a creative portion and a number portion   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Great office work culture, nice laid-back people.

Did the accelerated interview process due to study abroad. First round in December, second round in January. First round: 2 case interviews back to back; second round: 3 case interviews back to back to back. Mostly case based, very few behavioral questions other than tell me about yourself or walk me through your resume.

Interview Question – Tell me something interesting about yourself not on your resume.   Answer Question

ACI Interview

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – Less than 2 weeks from application submission was notified of first round interviews - 2 short cases on campus, followed by two longer cases and some fit questions in a final round

Interview Question – Give an example of overcoming adversity   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company interview questions and advice. All 316 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.