Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014
Updated Sep 18, 2014

3.7

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

I applied online through my university's career center. Bain then came to do on campus interviews.
    A spot opened up and I was asked to interview an hour before the slot time. Thus, I did not have any prep time. The interview had two case studies, which I did not practice for. They're website has two examples and the ones in the interview were very similar. If I had more time to practice, I would have been better off.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard. If you can go through a typical business case study, you should be fine.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2010.

Was contacted by senior manager from an European office, encouraging me to apply. Did first round in Chicago, with two managers, and then second round in Boston, with two partners, one of them from the office I was applying to, in Europe. After I passed the first round, one of the managers who had interviewed me called me, giving me some tips for the second round. After I got the offer, this manager was in town for business and called to take me out for dinner... The whole process was very smooth and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Typical case interviews... I messed up an estimate (average income brackets in latam country...) in one of my first interviews, but did well enough in the rest of the case for that not to be a deal-breaker.   Answer Question
    Standard package, nothing to negotiate, frankly...

Time & Expense Coordinator Interview

They keep you very well informed. They are honest. They do not list all of the positives that they should. Open communication. Hiring process- simple and straight forward. They use a 3rd party for a credit check and they are quick also :)

Interview Questions
    • Questions were typical interview questions, nothing too difficult or challenging.   Answer Question
    simple

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

I recruited for Bain via UC Berkeley's on campus interview process. The information sessions were valuable in providing information about projects and office culture. The interview felt a little bit rushed as they were interviewing quite a few candidates over a few days. The one difference between the interviw and preparation is that they feed you data and ask you analyze it versus have you extract data via your own logical processes, this made it hard to demonstrate one's own though process, in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • To explain the desire to be a consultant without being vague   Answer Question

PTA Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2011.

Internal refer. Got interview with a consultant. 30 minutes. 10 minutes asking about the resume, past experience, understanding about leadership. 20 minutes case interview. He helped me walk through a case and was mainly testing business acumen and also analytical framework and ability. I didn't prepare anything about case interview and felt I didn't do well. He was impressed by the little notebook I took out at the interview, which I felt was normal, since he was giving out so much information on the case and I had to take them down. But guess he knows I didn't prepare and would soon be off to the states for graduate school, so didn't set a high bar. He let me in finally and I worked pretty well on several projects in the end.

Interview Questions
    • What did you write about in your paper you said here? What's the impact?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

applied online through referral from a friend, received an interview 2 weeks later, onsite in Chicago Bain office, 2 consective typical case interivews, face to face, not so difficult, but very stressful

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

A recruiter contacted me about my online application and asked to schedule an initial phone call regarding my background and experience. She asked me questions about my past employment, why I was looking for a new job, why Bain/ this role in particular. A few days later, I had my first round of interviews with four different members of the team, who asked me a mix of situational questions and behavioral questions: what were my biggest strengths/ weaknesses, why am I excited about this role, where do I see myself in 5 years, etc. A couple of weeks after, I came into the office a second time for another round of interviews. I met three different individuals on the HR team and had a similar array of questions. Everyone was welcoming and very honest with me about the responsibilities and culture.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Questions
    • Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

The Company recruited on-grounds at our MBA program (Darden). They came and made a presentation and then it was the student's jobs to get to know them after the presentation and get a few email addresses to follow up with people later. I did a poor job at the initial networking event but leveraged my linkedin network to get a few contacts at the company. Once you get contacts you have to set up a number of coffee chats and phone calls where you ask about the Company - questions like, "What is the typical day in the life of a consultant?" "What is the difference between Bain and some of the other top tier consulting firms?" etc. These calls and chats last about a half an hour and I did probably 8 of them. The goal is to get at least one consultant to be a champion for you (i.e., really like you) and 4 or 5 others to know who you are and like you, this way when you submit a resume and they all sit around and decide who to interview you are well known and you have a champion to push for the interview.

Interview
    The first interview was on grounds and consisted of two 45 minute interviews both case questions. I'm not gonna talk much about case interviews, because if you google case interviews you will see nine million results all of which do a better job preparing you then I will in a paragraph. Suffice it to say that Bain allows interviewers to use cases that they have actually done in real life - thus I found it important to have a structured approach to the case but also to talk and ask questions about what actually happened (maybe even make a joke or two), as the interviewers seemed much more passionate about the interview and case question than say the McKinsey or BCG interviewers.

The second interview was at the Bain office. This consisted of three interviews 1 regular case, 1 written case , and 1 behavioral interview - all with partners. Case interview was pretty typical - maybe fewer numbers than a typical case (it seemed the partners were less interested in the can you do ridiculous math in your head types of questions). The written case was tough, they give you an hour (or so) to prepare it and then you basically have to present a series of power point slides (that you have pulled from charts already given to you or created on your own). I felt this was more about communication and presentation abilities than it was about what was in the case, but since they gave you an hour to prepare it there were some difficult math problems and some tricky insights I think they expected you to pull out. I made a few mistakes and the partner really grilled me, but I kept my cool and I think that was what was most important. The behavioral interview was basically me just listening to the partner talk.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!