Bain & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – applied online through referral from a friend, received an interview 2 weeks later, onsite in Chicago Bain office, 2 consective typical case interivews, face to face, not so difficult, but very stressful

Interview Question – normal cases   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Question – What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me about my online application and asked to schedule an initial phone call regarding my background and experience. She asked me questions about my past employment, why I was looking for a new job, why Bain/ this role in particular. A few days later, I had my first round of interviews with four different members of the team, who asked me a mix of situational questions and behavioral questions: what were my biggest strengths/ weaknesses, why am I excited about this role, where do I see myself in 5 years, etc. A couple of weeks after, I came into the office a second time for another round of interviews. I met three different individuals on the HR team and had a similar array of questions. Everyone was welcoming and very honest with me about the responsibilities and culture.

Interview Question – What would your friends say about you   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Question – Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Getting an Interview
The Company recruited on-grounds at our MBA program (Darden). They came and made a presentation and then it was the student's jobs to get to know them after the presentation and get a few email addresses to follow up with people later. I did a poor job at the initial networking event but leveraged my linkedin network to get a few contacts at the company. Once you get contacts you have to set up a number of coffee chats and phone calls where you ask about the Company - questions like, "What is the typical day in the life of a consultant?" "What is the difference between Bain and some of the other top tier consulting firms?" etc. These calls and chats last about a half an hour and I did probably 8 of them. The goal is to get at least one consultant to be a champion for you (i.e., really like you) and 4 or 5 others to know who you are and like you, this way when you submit a resume and they all sit around and decide who to interview you are well known and you have a champion to push for the interview.

Interview
The first interview was on grounds and consisted of two 45 minute interviews both case questions. I'm not gonna talk much about case interviews, because if you google case interviews you will see nine million results all of which do a better job preparing you then I will in a paragraph. Suffice it to say that Bain allows interviewers to use cases that they have actually done in real life - thus I found it important to have a structured approach to the case but also to talk and ask questions about what actually happened (maybe even make a joke or two), as the interviewers seemed much more passionate about the interview and case question than say the McKinsey or BCG interviewers.

The second interview was at the Bain office. This consisted of three interviews 1 regular case, 1 written case , and 1 behavioral interview - all with partners. Case interview was pretty typical - maybe fewer numbers than a typical case (it seemed the partners were less interested in the can you do ridiculous math in your head types of questions). The written case was tough, they give you an hour (or so) to prepare it and then you basically have to present a series of power point slides (that you have pulled from charts already given to you or created on your own). I felt this was more about communication and presentation abilities than it was about what was in the case, but since they gave you an hour to prepare it there were some difficult math problems and some tricky insights I think they expected you to pull out. I made a few mistakes and the partner really grilled me, but I kept my cool and I think that was what was most important. The behavioral interview was basically me just listening to the partner talk.

Interview Question – Any case question   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard for the consulting industry. First round was an on-campus interview consisting of two cases that were fairly easy. The final round was an office visit with three cases (more difficult) and a fit interview. Overall all the people in the company were very nice and helpful in terms of providing feedback.

Interview Question – The cases in the final round were more difficult and I'm sure are different year to year.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2010.

Interview Details – Two back-to-back on campus interviews in the career center. Heavy case interviews emphasizing quantitative and logic. Two Bain Manager/CTL level people came to do the interviews. They selected 10 applicants to interview out of about 100 applications. They usually hire 1 or 2 people from the ones they interview.

Interview Question – What is the exact angle formed by the hands on a clock when the time reads 9:30?   View Answers (7)

Part-time Assistant Interview

Part-time Assistant

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – Just a brief phone interview. A case of ivory product pricing.

Negotiation Details – No.

Summer Consultant Interview

Summer Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – Went to a number of recruiting events on and around campus of my MBA School. Made approx. 12 personal contacts with 1:1 email/discussion calls with each one. This led to my name being placed on a list of preferred candidates. Got a first round interview request 3 days before the interview date.

Case Prep was fast and furious, especially considering the nuances between Bain and McKinsey cases (I had 1 month prep time for my McKinsey first round). I had my first round interview in the Bain offices in my home city with two Principals (in their offices). The interviews were straight forward and structured with the following format:

1 - Resume review with questions - 15/20 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 20/25 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 5/10 minutes

The Interviewers were nice and supportive, at the end of each case they explained the actual case and how the company "solved" the client "problem". In both cases I got the case "right" by coming to the same conclusion as the Bain case team.

I heard back from one of my interviewers the morning of the next business day that I got into the second round. I set up my 2nd round interview for later that week at my target office.

The second round had 3 interviews with partners with 2 being traditional case-based and 1 being the vaunted written case. My window was 3.5 hours long and, accordingly, there were 3 people (including me) interviewing in my window. You are provided with the names and credentials of your interviewers days before the interview giving time for LinkedIn stalking and custom question generation. Upon entering the office you are informed which interviewer will be administering the written case (this immediately lets you know when you will be presenting the written case, in your 1st, 2nd, or last interview).

The first hour had the three applicants sit in a room and review the 40 some slides related to the written case with a consultant "proctoring" the process. This period is critical for time management as you have to complete 3 slides on [Executive Summary], [Recommendations + Risks], and [Day 1 Activities] and identify some subset of slides to present with your insights (7-8).

Next, you go to your first interview which, in my case, was a separate case that had nothing to do with the written case. This interview is straight forward with resume walk through, interviewer fit questions, case discussion, ending in Q&A. In my experience, I felt a greater emphasis on the case in the first interview

1 - Resume review with specific/focused questions - 10/15 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 20/25 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 5/10 minutes

The 2nd interview was my written case where we did a high-level discussion of experience, followed by the written case, ending in Q&A.

1 - Resume review with questions - 5/10 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 30/35 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 5 minutes

The 3rd and final interview was the most relaxed of the bunch with lots of small talk and very little case discussion. The case was a breeze.

1 - Resume review with questions - 15/20 minutes
2 - Case Discussion - 10/15 minutes
3 - Q and A if time available - 15/20 minutes

I heard back from the written case partner the next business day with the news that I did not earn a spot but that they wanted me to apply for full-time later in the year. Since then he has set up in-depth feedback sessions with me to improve my performance next time.

Interview Question – The written case was very challenging in identifying what I needed to present and how focused my recommendations should be.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!