Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through on-campus recruiting, you end up going through pretty standard case interviews for a consulting firm. People were really really nice and I enjoyed going through the cases with them. They ended up calling back a couple hours later saying that I got the final round, so I'm waiting on that in the next week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What are potential costs associated with building out hospital IT infrastructure?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied after attending the on campus info-session, and received a first round after a week or so. Before the interview, there was a case workshop to help prepare you for the interview. First round consisted of 2 back to back case interviews, 45 minutes each. There were no behavior component for either of my interviews, and the cases were rather typical. The interviewers were very helpful, and I would say that it was a more interviewer led interview (compared to other management consulting firms' interviewee led interview style).

Consultant Interview

The recrutting consisted in 6 case interviews and a written case. It is important to be really prepare for the written case and the behavioural interviews that take place aswell.

Business Analyst Interview

Very professional interview process from start to finish. Bain is interested in well rounded professionals, deliver within that mold and you should get an interview. Once in the interview you need to be savvy and demonstrate basic business knowledge. Otherwise just be very personable, consulting requires solid social skills after all. I met with the two interviewers and I was sure to follow up with an email.

They think they are very smart over there at Bain, just practice your cases hard and you too might have a shot.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

I gave my resume at a career fair. First interview was 2 cases with some behavioral mixed in. One case was strictly quantitative and the other was half quantitative, half creativity (ideas about the business). Nothing terribly hard. Very high standards for them nonetheless. They are looking for more than the typical answers. More depth is needed. I didn't do well enough in that area to advance.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

The process was a two-round case interview, first on campus and then in the local office to which I applied. It required significant preparation, mental math agility, and being able to answer classic interview questions in a thorough manner. Many applicants do significant outreach and networking with the firm in advance, but I did not.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Two cases following the behavior questions. Very regular behavior questions like why consulting why your major. A bunch of handouts in the interviewer's hands. But I only got half of them to be given out. Regular profitability case. One with maths, one not. Very friendly interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

I networked with a couple of people at Bain and got the interview through an employee referral. Since I applied through my school, however, I interviewed at the same time as many other candidates in my school, so I did not participate in the off-cycle hiring process, which is supposedly harder.

When I arrived in the office, I received a folder with the backgrounds of the consultants that would interview me. It's important to read through them as you'll know who you'd be approaching. Also, both my interviewers gave me cases that they had worked on.

The first round consisted of two 30-min one-on-one case interviews in the office. We started with a few typical fit questions like "Why Bain, why consulting, tell me about this experience on your resume, why make the transition from your background (life sciences) to consulting, etc."

Then we moved on to the case. The first one was about non-profit work that the consultant had done and would not fit any frameworks. It started with an estimation question and was followed by some qualitative questions. I think I did hit on all important points and built a great rapport with the interviewer, who was a young AC and pretty cool.

The second interview was with a more senior consultant and started with similar fit questions. He asked me about my office choices. Then we worked on a case study about a pet food supplier in which the consultant had been involved. It fit a profitability framework and I did not have much trouble finding the problem driving down revenues and profits. I did struggle with the last part of the case which was proposing a solution to the client. Since the consultant had actually worked on that project there was one specific solution he was looking for and it took me some time and some hints from him to get to it.

I interviewed today and haven't heard back yet obviously, but I'm not sure if I'll be invited to a second round given my hesitancy with the second case. I would bet that they're looking at outstanding performances as that the cases were not unusually hard. I hope that they account for the fact that the solution to the second case was not obvious after analysis and it was a bit more about guessing. Let's see.

Overall I had a great experience and a good impression about the company and the people working there. They were all very professional and friendly. I even got the opportunity to have a mock interview in the office the day before the actual interview without even asking for it.

Interview Questions
    • The first case about a non-profit did not follow any traditional structures. The first question was "Try to narrow down all the jobs that our target population could be eligible for".   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

I applied through on-campus recruiting. Then I got a first round interview that involved 2 case interviews. They were running late that day, so each interviewer only asked me one behavioral question. One was "tell me about yourself." The other was something specific about my resume. The two cases involved both quantitative work and business judgment. The numbers were pretty easy to crunch - nothing you couldn't easily do in your head. They gave me about 2 weeks before the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Our client sells hunting clothing (heavy duty coats, etc). What other markets could the client possibly break into?   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Applied through university by submitting resume and cover letter. Process was easy. I received an interview invitation a few days later and interviewed a week after my initial submission. Two interviews, one with a manager, one with a consultant. We walked through a case for each one. They didn’t ask any behavioral questions.