Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

3.7

AC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

There were two case studies. Each was fairly straightforward in which you would be asked a business case. read Case in Point to practice and you will be find

Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Several interviews with team members, one case study at final interview. Met with both current and past managers of the team. Was asked about my background and how it would fit with Bain. I had chances to ask questions about the details of the job and its day-to-day responsibilities. Did not receive an office tour until my first day on the job.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled difficult interactions with co-workers in the past?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was made of two rounds. The first round comprised of two 30 minute interviews on the phone. The cases were back to back, lightly focused on fit. After a successful first round, I was flown to the Chicago office for a final round, which had 4 interviews. The first was a fit interview while the rest were on cases, with little time spent on a couple fit questions - why consulting; why Bain; why did you wait till off cycle to apply? Because the interview was with partners, less emphasis was spent on structure compared to the first round. I thought I didn't do well as well on the first case interview in the last round and therefore picked the pace for the last two. However on my offer call, I was told I did really well on that case -- sentimental feeling after a case isn't always the best judge. My final commentary on the interview process is that Bain wants to see the REAL you so don't forget to show your passion, poise and energy. They respect those so much so that those make a HUGE impression and they will remember.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate. Pay is pretty standard

ACI Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Did OCR at target school, made it to second round. Interview was somewhat difficult, but not unpleasant. Bain is definitely looking for people who are their "type." Also, I've heard that hiring process can be very different based on the location you are applying too (especially overseas v. NYC for example).

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The first round was two 40-minute case interviews, one with a consultant and one with an engagement manager. They were fairly straightforward. The second and final round had three parts: a written interview, where you prepared a case for 60 minutes from a stack of 20 slides, and then presented it to a partner; a standard case interview with a partner; and a behavioral case interview with a partner.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were analytical.   2 Answers

BEL Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bain & Company (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

My process consisted of two steps. The first was the application. Since I come from a non target school, I was directly emailed the application. It consisted mostly of a resume and cover letter. The actual interview involved 2 30 minute interviews on the same day. Both interviews had the same format. They would spend about 5 to 10 minutes going over fit questions and then we would spend the remainder of the time working on a market sizing question.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating the revenue for an amusement park.   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First round interview on campus followed by final round elsewhere - did not advance to final round. applied online with a resume and cover letter and was contacted by their campus representative to set up the interview. Two standards cases for the first round, zero fit. You have to nail both cases to advance. You can't be passive, you really have to drive from beginning to end

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The interview was fairly standard. It started off with about 15 minutes of introductions and hellos and then proceeded to go into details regarding a case. The questions were very straight forward and fair however the case itself was quite challenging. I would definitely recommend prepping a lot beforehand to be prepared to give clear and concise answers effectively.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain and why consulting? (I was switching from another unrelated field)   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

First round has two 30-minute interviews, including self-introduction and a case. Very typical Bain style--straightforward and has market sizing component. Both interviewers are very nice and guided me through problem solving. They also made comment like "that is correct" after I did the calculation. Final round has two 45-minute interviews, with more behavior and fit questions as well as a more complicated case.

Interview Questions

• Qualitative question is hard to answer on the spot. They expect you to brainstorm some ideas very quickly.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

two short interviews with both case and fit in the New York office, met with two younger consultants. Interview was mostly focused on case with about 5 min of fit

Interview Questions

• Typical Cases you might see in Case and Point....one market entry and one M&A....the cases were very multi faceted which made them more difficult   Answer Question