Bain & Company

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Average Difficulty
333 candidate interviews

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Bain & Company on-campus at my university. The interview was one hour long and consisted of two 30-minute case interviews. The first interview was an auto car show case concerning entering a new market. The second interview concerned the declining profitability of a major US university. There were quantitative and market sizing portions of the case. Each of the cases are designed by the interviewers from cases they have worked on.

The company offers candidates the opportunity to practice a case with a Bain AC prior to the interview, but substantial preparation on the part of the interviewee in necessary to land the job.

Interview Question – A major US university is experiencing declining profits. (1) Please discuss the drivers of profitability for the organization. (2) How might you improve the profitability of this university?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Consultant

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – Case Interview was very abstract: "How should Company X grow" --> now expand on that thought. 2 1on1 interviews. One interviewer was very firneldy and helpful but has some technical issues with his laptop. The other was was kind of cold: did not ask A SINGLE question. Expected the inerviewee to fire away a thousand questions. Unpleasnt experience.

Interview Question – How should company X grow?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2010.

Interview Details – Really nice office and the people were great. One interviewer seemed a bit tough, the other was really nice. Interviews consisted of 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. They were very strict on the timing, so I didn't have time to really chat with the last interviewer.

Didn't receive an invite back to second rounds. It was off cycle recruiting, so it was a long shot to begin with.

Bain is very tough on mental math (this is where I got dinged the most I guess). Usually not to bad, I guess it was an off day. Make sure you can do this, and do it well.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
  • Why consulting?   Answer Question
  • Case: Company X wants to expand into another country, and has decided that acquiring Company Y is a good entrance strategy. Evaluate.   View Answer
  • Company Z is a CPG company, that both produces and distributes their products. They're deciding whether they should outsource their distribution. What would you use to evaluate this? Go.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in July 2010.

Interview Details – Received an email to setup time for first interview the following week. First round interview was two case studies from a senior AC and a consultant. Both were very friendly and helpful throughout the case. The cases were much more numerical (I had a table of numbers I had to fill out) than I was expecting (compared to case & point cases). There were no behavioral questions, and no questions about why Bain or why consulting - just the case and then time for me to ask questions.

Round two was with a staffing manager, manager, and partner. Again all were friendly and helpful. I only received a short case from the manager. It lasted about 10 minutes and just focused on the business issues I'd be thinking about for a cell-phone related case. No numbers at all. The rest of that interview and the other two were entirely questions like "how did you hear about Bain?" "Why consulting?" "What do you think your performance review at the end of a year at Bain will say?" (got this one twice) and "Describe this project on your resume." I was very surprised I didn't receive harder cases!

Interview Questions

• Let's say I'm your manager and you get hired at Bain. At the end of one year, what will I write in your performance review?   View Answer
  • Describe this project on your resume?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Dallas, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2010.

Interview Details – Had 2 45 minute interviews in Las Colinas office. Going back for a second round interview later this week. Was able to speak with current Bain AC before interview process to prepare. This was very helpful.

Interview Question – Case question   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – On campus interview - first round. Consisted of 2 back-to-back case interviews that were 30 minutes each
Office interview - final round. Consisted of 3 back-to-back case + behavioral interviews that were 45 minutes or so each. These were with more senior people in the company

Interview Question – Asked various situational case interviews - had to ask for the appropriate data and ask the right questions to continue along in the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - set at a national level

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2010.

Interview Details – Focus was on how to value debt investments; namely evaluating the cash flows (ie, coupon payment); discussing effect of external interest rates on the value of the bond (ie, inverse relationship); etc

Interview Question – How would you think about bond investments in distressed companies?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through the university's recruiting website. I did minimal networking, but had a decent resume. The interview consisted of two 1:1 interviews with a partner and manager. The interviews consisted of brief small talk, one fit question, and one case. They lasted about 45 minutes each.

The interviewers were very nice and friendly. I tried to go in with the mindset of having fun and being relaxed, and I think that really helped me get the offer.

Interview Question – How would you help an European charter airline turnaround its declining profits?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Went through on campus recruiting, first round interview consists of two back to back case interviews with different interviewers with no fit component. Upon passing this, final rounds consist of four back to back interviews, 3 case and one fit. The order is random, but you're guaranteed one interview with a principal or partner.

It felt surprisingly calm and much less stressful than I had anticipated because of how friendly everyone at the office was, but the cases were difficult nonetheless

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for entry level positions - compensation is fixed nationally.

Brussels (Belgium)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – Welcoming and very smart and dynamic people.
3 rounds. Each time 2 consultants (from most junior to most senior). With each consultant, 1 case and 30 minutes of discussion about yourself.

Interview Question – Tha cases are difficult.   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!