Bain & Company

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
333 candidate interviews

Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – I was asked to explain why Google wanted to make a self-driving car. They were looking for more of my thought process than my actual answer, however, I think I stumbled at first as I was so prepared to do a case interview. Oh well.

Interview Question – What is Google's motivation for the self-driving car?   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me about my online application and asked to schedule an initial phone call regarding my background and experience. She asked me questions about my past employment, why I was looking for a new job, why Bain/ this role in particular. A few days later, I had my first round of interviews with four different members of the team, who asked me a mix of situational questions and behavioral questions: what were my biggest strengths/ weaknesses, why am I excited about this role, where do I see myself in 5 years, etc. A couple of weeks after, I came into the office a second time for another round of interviews. I met three different individuals on the HR team and had a similar array of questions. Everyone was welcoming and very honest with me about the responsibilities and culture.

Interview Question – What would your friends say about you   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details – The entire interview process was very quick. All rounds are held in one day. Very nice atmosphere, and friendly people. The first round can be very intense, you will have 4 interviews in 3.5/4 hours. The cases were just as you would expect them to be (expect estimation and market sizing questions).

Interview Question – What are you most proud of that is not on your resume.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – After three weeks e-mail with invitation. Overall great company with fun people.
Questions are very different to McKinsey, drive and pro-activeness very important. Many estimation cases, which is different to other consultancies.

Interview Question – How much would you pay for an are of forest?   Answer Question

Milan (Italy)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – you get an interview with HR then 2 interviews with managers, two interviews with partners. apart from the one with HR which is on motivation issues, the other ones are all case interviews. As long as you are good with numbers they are not generally difficult

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – Campus Hiring Process, 3-4 rounds of interviews, no separate HR round, the interviews were pretty simple and basic, so no need to panic about the difficulty level, only need to be answer first, structured in your approach.

Interview Question – None I would say.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Question – Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online (CV and cover letter) in mid December. First round in mid January, consisting of 2 x 30 minute interviews, one with a senior associate consultant and the other with a consultant. Second round 2/3 days after the first round, one interview with a principal lasting 30 minutes.

First round:
Tell me about yourself.
Why Bain?
Estimate the Indian tyre market size.
Your client wants to enter Indian market, which segment should it target?

Second round:
We are a company who wants to decide on whether to specialise in Android or iPhone apps. How would you choose?
Why this office?
Why did you apply to investment banking (on my CV)?

Interview Question – Your friend wants to start a gym. Help him establish how many customers he needs to attract to break even.   View Answer

Milan (Italy)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on global website. After a few weeks got an email telling me that I would be called for 1st round interview at my preferred office. Didn't hear from them so had to email again after 2 months and finally got an interview, which was composed of 2 45-minute sessions with principals. Each session was composed of a competency part (eg why consulting) and a case study (interviewer led). The first one was about assessing an investment (NPV etc) while the other was about designing a business model for a technology startup.

Interview Question – Explain the IRR   Answer Question

Warsaw (Poland)

I applied online and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Recruitment required me to take an analytical math test, similar to questions on the GMAT. Unfortunately before preparation I was not informed a calculator would not be allowed. Although the questions were not hard, you only had 30 minutes to answer 20 questions. With more time, it would not have been a challenge.

Interview Question – Did not reach interview stage.   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!