Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.7

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2015.

Applied through campus recruitment, interview was scheduled for 2 back to back 40 minute interviews. Each consisted of brief (5 minutes) behavioral questions and then dove straight into the case. Cases were not extremely difficult, there were a couple key points they were definitely looking for in each. Make sure you nail the math. One interviewer was very friendly and conversational, the other was on her computer the whole and time and seemed disinterested. Don't let that phase you.

I was told to expect to hear back by the end of the week. I never got a phone call and spoke to a few friends who had been denied. Another week went by and everyone I knew had heard back by then so I emailed the recruiter. She responded telling me that I should expect to hear from my interviewer shortly. Another week went by without anything so I emailed one of the consultants that gave me a practice interview. He never responded and I haven't heard anything since. Pretty disappointing from such a respected company.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in March 2015.

1. Resume & Cover Letter online application, following on-campus presentation. Heard back about 10 days after applications closed.
    2. Pre-Interview event. This was really great - provided us with an opportunity to meet & build rapport with our interviewers in a casual setting & to familiarise ourselves with the office.
    3. First round interviews. 2 x 45 mins. The first involved a long case & a couple of CV/personal experience questions. The second was a shorter case & a few more CV/personal experience questions. There was time for questions. I was interviewed by a Principal & then Consultant and heard back the same evening - they gave great feedback on how I could improve my performance in the second round. Cases involved market entry/market sizing.
    4. Second round interviews. 3 hours. First a 40-min written case - got a pack of powerpoint slides & questions to answer. Then discussed answers & recommendations for the next 40 mins with an interviewer, who provided guidance/coaching where necessary (after answering some CV/personal experience Q's). The next two 40-min blocks were two more cases & more CV/personal experience questions. Was interviewed by two Partners and a Principal and heard back the same evening. Cases involved profit & loss, acquisitions, strategy.

Interview Questions
    • Some variation on "tell me about yourself."   Answer Question
    • Why consulting (got asked this multiple times, given non-business background)? Why Bain?   Answer Question
    • It looks like you've had a lot of experience doing [work in specific field/industry]. Which one of these have you enjoyed most?   Answer Question
    • What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question
    • [My area of study] is quite different from business. Are you sure consulting is what you want to do?   Answer Question

ACI Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Three rounds of two interviews each (= 6 interviews in total): First round with consultants, second one with managers and/or principals, and last one with partners.

A case is given every time by the interviewer, mostly taken from his own experience and adapted for the interview. Make sure that you understand the specificities of the case and adapt your framework to the company's case.

The interviewers are mostly very approachable and open, which reflects Bain's culture at all levels of the recruitment process.

One of the interviewers takes time to provide the candidate with a constructive feedback systematically a few days after a round of interviews. Always take into account the feedback given and work on it before the next round of interviews, as they expect you to have improved on the weak points spotted early on.

Interview Questions
    • In what ways are your academic studies and experience useful to work at Bain?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

The first round was two 40-minute case interviews, one with a consultant and one with an engagement manager. They were fairly straightforward. The second and final round had three parts: a written interview, where you prepared a case for 60 minutes from a stack of 20 slides, and then presented it to a partner; a standard case interview with a partner; and a behavioral case interview with a partner.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2012.

Case interview with behavioral fit was the final in person interview. There was a phone screen to start followed by 2 phone case interviews. They will bring you to your office that you are interviewing with and will likely call within a few hours of the interview completion to make an offer if you they choose to do so.

Interview Questions
    • How would you think about the profitability of a sports league and what factors would you pull to improve it for the next 5-10 years   View Answer

ACI Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2015.

Interviewed on campus. Two back-to-back 30-minute interviews. The first one was divided into behavioral questions and a mini case. The second interview has a longer case. Both cases were pretty quantitative.

Before the interview somebody from the company contacted me for a practice case, which was in addition to the workshop they ran on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Why Bain? Why consulting? What do you like to do in your own time?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)
    Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Invited for the first round of the interview. Small personal part and then 2 case studies by 2 different people. One in English and one in my native language. An estimation case was involved in one of the case studies. It is important to first reconsider all options and think about it before you start calculating flat out. This is what I did, it did not turn out well.

Interview Questions
    • Explain why you are a fit for this position in the consulting.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rome (Italy)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rome (Italy)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in July 2012.

Very classic management consulting interview process based on case studies. I met 2 managers and 2 partners on top of a short interview with HR. It is very important to prepare the interview with all the material available online and practice a lot ( better with somebody else). Get some practice also with calculations

Interview Questions
    • 1) Which is the gross margin of an alternative satellite system (GPS like)?
      2) How would you manage a bank restructuring project?
      3) How would you price a basket ball sponsorship for Olympics?
      4) Case study on car parking fixed cost and minimum hourly cost for final customer?

Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Four case interviews over the phone. Started with one or two personal questions, then the case, then time for questions about Bain. Consultants were very personable and not intentionally intimidating during the case.

Interview Questions
    • Company X is looking to expand its food business into Mexico. How would you analyze if this is a good decision?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2015.

The process began with a resume drop. I was then invited for a first round interview on campus. Prior to the interview there was a case workshop and a current Associate Consultant gave me a practice case. The first round consisted of 2 30 minute interviews. Nearly all the time was spent on the cases, with only a few minutes to ask questions. Was invited to the office for a second round interview, which consisted of 4 30 minute interviews. 3 of these interviews were cases similar to those in the first round, and the 4th interview was behavioral.