Bain & Company Interview Questions

3.7

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2010.

Was contacted by senior manager from an European office, encouraging me to apply. Did first round in Chicago, with two managers, and then second round in Boston, with two partners, one of them from the office I was applying to, in Europe. After I passed the first round, one of the managers who had interviewed me called me, giving me some tips for the second round. After I got the offer, this manager was in town for business and called to take me out for dinner... The whole process was very smooth and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Typical case interviews... I messed up an estimate (average income brackets in latam country...) in one of my first interviews, but did well enough in the rest of the case for that not to be a deal-breaker.   Answer Question
    Standard package, nothing to negotiate, frankly...

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

I guess this is only valid in Brazil:

First there's a GMAT-like test and then a business case test. Average difficulty, really short time.
    Then there's a group panel (or group dynamics as we call it in Brazil). Just focus on rule #3 (for those of you who been around Victor Cheng's videos).

Between these two first stages there's a cut rate of about 90% of candidates.
    If you're among the remaining 10%, then it's off to the interviews.

First round interviews: Two case interviews with consultants and/or managers.
    Second round interviews: Two case interviews with managers.
    Third round interviews: Two case interviews with partners.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round: 2 case interviews with Senior Consultants and Consultants
    Second Round: 2 case interviews with Principals/Partners and 1 Experience interview with a principal/partner

Most important thing is to be confident and have excellent math skills. I made some math errors, but it was not a big deal because I had shown excellent math skills in my first round interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Negotiation Case - Was not expecting one of those   View Answer
    No Negotiation

Time & Expense Coordinator Interview

They keep you very well informed. They are honest. They do not list all of the positives that they should. Open communication. Hiring process- simple and straight forward. They use a 3rd party for a credit check and they are quick also :)

Interview Questions
    • Questions were typical interview questions, nothing too difficult or challenging.   Answer Question
    simple

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

GMAT test, group dynamics, three rounds of two interviews each. Every interviewer was nice and helpful. I could sense they had a collaborative culture, and that made me want to work there. They emphasized the low-hierarchy environment, and the way they treated me made me believe that that was true.

Interview Questions
    • A business case regarding a crude oil storage industry. The first question was: why does it exist?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I just accepted.

Intern Interview

on campus. 2 rounds. first and second. first case studies. second two case studies. in person and written. needs preparation. second round in office i was applying to. many other candidates. very competitive.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

I recruited for Bain via UC Berkeley's on campus interview process. The information sessions were valuable in providing information about projects and office culture. The interview felt a little bit rushed as they were interviewing quite a few candidates over a few days. The one difference between the interviw and preparation is that they feed you data and ask you analyze it versus have you extract data via your own logical processes, this made it hard to demonstrate one's own though process, in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • To explain the desire to be a consultant without being vague   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

very difficult process. First there are 2 case interviews about 30 minutes each. then final round has 3 45 minute interviews. Definitely recommend that you practice cases as much as possible, and try to set up interviews with smaller firms first.

PTA Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2011.

Internal refer. Got interview with a consultant. 30 minutes. 10 minutes asking about the resume, past experience, understanding about leadership. 20 minutes case interview. He helped me walk through a case and was mainly testing business acumen and also analytical framework and ability. I didn't prepare anything about case interview and felt I didn't do well. He was impressed by the little notebook I took out at the interview, which I felt was normal, since he was giving out so much information on the case and I had to take them down. But guess he knows I didn't prepare and would soon be off to the states for graduate school, so didn't set a high bar. He let me in finally and I worked pretty well on several projects in the end.

Interview Questions
    • What did you write about in your paper you said here? What's the impact?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

Received interview offer after about 1 month. Did first round of interviews with managers and received outcome on same day and also received feedback on how I had performed. The first case was involved figuring out how a company could increase its profits. The second case was about determining whether a market was worth entering into.
    The second round of interviews was with partners. The first case was about determining whether a cost cutting initiative was worth it (focused on my numbers because I had made some errors in the first round, I had eventually corrected them but they do like you to get them right the first time before you share them). The second case was about understanding the revenue contributions of a company's product portfolio.
    All four interviews also had a behavioral component i.e. why Bain, why this particular office and what can you offer Bain. The first 3 interviews lasted 30-60 minutes. The last one was over in 15 minutes.
    The interviewers were all very pleasant and I got the impression that they all really wanted the candidates to do well. The cases were all pretty straightforward. I had to dig deep to get to the answers but there were no trick questions or scenarios. They are really just looking out for the following:
    - first, second and possibly third level structure
    - ability to prioritise
    - ability to communicate though process and assumptions
    - number crunching. Some interviewers were okay with rounding off, one wanted exact numbers to the second decimal.
    - likeability. Even the partners were pretty informal and it felt like a conversation amongst peers.

The HR personnel were all pretty helpful too. I felt like I had my own personal cheer squad every step of the way.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!