Bain & Company

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.7

Entry-Level Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

First round phone interview that consisted of two 30-minute case studies. They were fairly average case questions, one included a market sizing component, but both were math heavy. I spoke with two separate interviewers, and both were extremely professional and very good at facilitating discussion throughout the case. They left about 5 minutes at the end of the interview to discuss my background and give with the opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Something unexpected was the amount of math that parts of the cases involved. I had to calculate costs, profit margins, and changes in profits with little information provided, which, while not extremely difficult, was time consuming.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through on-campus recruiting, you end up going through pretty standard case interviews for a consulting firm. People were really really nice and I enjoyed going through the cases with them. They ended up calling back a couple hours later saying that I got the final round, so I'm waiting on that in the next week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What are potential costs associated with building out hospital IT infrastructure?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Recruited through school, they made a very good presentation and ensured that prospective candidates understood the whole process in detail. They held several workshops to prep for the case interviews with associate consultants. Interview of first round consisted of 2 interviews with a case manager and a principal. One case was a new venture and the other was increasing profits in an insurance company

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied after attending the on campus info-session, and received a first round after a week or so. Before the interview, there was a case workshop to help prepare you for the interview. First round consisted of 2 back to back case interviews, 45 minutes each. There were no behavior component for either of my interviews, and the cases were rather typical. The interviewers were very helpful, and I would say that it was a more interviewer led interview (compared to other management consulting firms' interviewee led interview style).

Business Analyst Interview

Very professional interview process from start to finish. Bain is interested in well rounded professionals, deliver within that mold and you should get an interview. Once in the interview you need to be savvy and demonstrate basic business knowledge. Otherwise just be very personable, consulting requires solid social skills after all. I met with the two interviewers and I was sure to follow up with an email.

They think they are very smart over there at Bain, just practice your cases hard and you too might have a shot.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

I gave my resume at a career fair. First interview was 2 cases with some behavioral mixed in. One case was strictly quantitative and the other was half quantitative, half creativity (ideas about the business). Nothing terribly hard. Very high standards for them nonetheless. They are looking for more than the typical answers. More depth is needed. I didn't do well enough in that area to advance.

Consultant Interview

The recrutting consisted in 6 case interviews and a written case. It is important to be really prepare for the written case and the behavioural interviews that take place aswell.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

Overall the recruiters/interviewers were nice. You were welcomed in a waiting room where youd meet some of the other candidates. However the interview was one hour delayed and i had to start as late as 6pm. Bain puts a lot of focus on quant so i suggest to review your Gmat math.
    1st round included 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Standard market sizing question: Estimate market size for replacement tires in the US.
      Business situation case. Quant focused

Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

The process was a two-round case interview, first on campus and then in the local office to which I applied. It required significant preparation, mental math agility, and being able to answer classic interview questions in a thorough manner. Many applicants do significant outreach and networking with the firm in advance, but I did not.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Two cases following the behavior questions. Very regular behavior questions like why consulting why your major. A bunch of handouts in the interviewer's hands. But I only got half of them to be given out. Regular profitability case. One with maths, one not. Very friendly interviewers.