Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

3.7

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Two cases following the behavior questions. Very regular behavior questions like why consulting why your major. A bunch of handouts in the interviewer's hands. But I only got half of them to be given out. Regular profitability case. One with maths, one not. Very friendly interviewers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

I networked with a couple of people at Bain and got the interview through an employee referral. Since I applied through my school, however, I interviewed at the same time as many other candidates in my school, so I did not participate in the off-cycle hiring process, which is supposedly harder.

When I arrived in the office, I received a folder with the backgrounds of the consultants that would interview me. It's important to read through them as you'll know who you'd be approaching. Also, both my interviewers gave me cases that they had worked on.

The first round consisted of two 30-min one-on-one case interviews in the office. We started with a few typical fit questions like "Why Bain, why consulting, tell me about this experience on your resume, why make the transition from your background (life sciences) to consulting, etc."

Then we moved on to the case. The first one was about non-profit work that the consultant had done and would not fit any frameworks. It started with an estimation question and was followed by some qualitative questions. I think I did hit on all important points and built a great rapport with the interviewer, who was a young AC and pretty cool.

The second interview was with a more senior consultant and started with similar fit questions. He asked me about my office choices. Then we worked on a case study about a pet food supplier in which the consultant had been involved. It fit a profitability framework and I did not have much trouble finding the problem driving down revenues and profits. I did struggle with the last part of the case which was proposing a solution to the client. Since the consultant had actually worked on that project there was one specific solution he was looking for and it took me some time and some hints from him to get to it.

I interviewed today and haven't heard back yet obviously, but I'm not sure if I'll be invited to a second round given my hesitancy with the second case. I would bet that they're looking at outstanding performances as that the cases were not unusually hard. I hope that they account for the fact that the solution to the second case was not obvious after analysis and it was a bit more about guessing. Let's see.

Overall I had a great experience and a good impression about the company and the people working there. They were all very professional and friendly. I even got the opportunity to have a mock interview in the office the day before the actual interview without even asking for it.

Interview Questions
    • The first case about a non-profit did not follow any traditional structures. The first question was "Try to narrow down all the jobs that our target population could be eligible for".   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

I applied through on-campus recruiting. Then I got a first round interview that involved 2 case interviews. They were running late that day, so each interviewer only asked me one behavioral question. One was "tell me about yourself." The other was something specific about my resume. The two cases involved both quantitative work and business judgment. The numbers were pretty easy to crunch - nothing you couldn't easily do in your head. They gave me about 2 weeks before the first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Our client sells hunting clothing (heavy duty coats, etc). What other markets could the client possibly break into?   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Applied through university by submitting resume and cover letter. Process was easy. I received an interview invitation a few days later and interviewed a week after my initial submission. Two interviews, one with a manager, one with a consultant. We walked through a case for each one. They didn’t ask any behavioral questions.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

First, there is a resume and cover letter drop by the recruiting deadline in early fall. Then, first of two interview rounds started three weeks later. We were notified a week and a half before the first interview date although they were flexible on the interview week in case there was any date conflict. Those outside the immediate office area did first rounds over the phone. First round is basically all case driven. Doing well on both case interviews while being able to answer a few personal fit questions meant that you passed the first round.

Interview Questions
    • What industry or type of work are you most interested in and why? What is the biggest leadership role you've had?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

On-campus recruiting. Bain is renowned for its friendliness, and alumni from the company called in the week before to offer case practice help or any info.

First-round interviews are simple, two back-to-back 30 minutes interview. Basic case studies involving things like product acquisition, mergers, market sizing (although this tends to be just one component of a larger case). Because cases aren't the most difficult, it's important to nail them.

The interviewers were very friendly and were helpful when I stalled - they aren't trying to mess you up and give you wrong answers, so don't be too nervous about that.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Overall the recruiters/interviewers were nice. You were welcomed in a waiting room where youd meet some of the other candidates. However the interview was one hour delayed and i had to start as late as 6pm. Bain puts a lot of focus on quant so i suggest to review your Gmat math.
    1st round included 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Standard market sizing question: Estimate market size for replacement tires in the US.
      Business situation case. Quant focused
        Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interviewed through campus. case interview. interview was very nice and helpful, led me through questions. sent in application through campus recruiting. went to info sessions. invited to interview within a week of sending in resume. two rounds of case study questions. one of them you have to analyze graphs. great learning experience.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Received first round interview on campus. Two back to back cases, no graphs/charts, which I had been expecting. One vague case and then one straightforward private equity investment case. If you don't completely crush both cases, you will not get offered a 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Must be able to understand what they're asking for. Nothing stood out as unexpected though.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview was very standard, had me fill out paper application upon arrival. Interview was extremely short. Went over resume and job description, discussed previous roles. Interviewer asked case hypotheticals. Interview was set up through hiring agency so communication was minimal.