Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014
Updated Sep 27, 2014

3.7

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

I applied through our campus recruiting, and had a first round phone interview that consisted of two cases back to back, then had final rounds at the Bain Boston office that were again two cases back to back. The final rounds also had a "fit" component in addition to the case.

Interview Questions
    • The cases were all fairly similar, and not too complicated. Each had a creative portion and a number portion   Answer Question

ACI Interview

Less than 2 weeks from application submission was notified of first round interviews - 2 short cases on campus, followed by two longer cases and some fit questions in a final round

Summer Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Went to a number of recruiting events on and around campus of my MBA School. Made approx. 12 personal contacts with 1:1 email/discussion calls with each one. This led to my name being placed on a list of preferred candidates. Got a first round interview request 3 days before the interview date.

Case Prep was fast and furious, especially considering the nuances between Bain and McKinsey cases (I had 1 month prep time for my McKinsey first round). I had my first round interview in the Bain offices in my home city with two Principals (in their offices). The interviews were straight forward and structured with the following format:

1 - Resume review with questions - 15/20 minutes
    2 - Case Discussion - 20/25 minutes
    3 - Q and A if time available - 5/10 minutes

The Interviewers were nice and supportive, at the end of each case they explained the actual case and how the company "solved" the client "problem". In both cases I got the case "right" by coming to the same conclusion as the Bain case team.

I heard back from one of my interviewers the morning of the next business day that I got into the second round. I set up my 2nd round interview for later that week at my target office.

The second round had 3 interviews with partners with 2 being traditional case-based and 1 being the vaunted written case. My window was 3.5 hours long and, accordingly, there were 3 people (including me) interviewing in my window. You are provided with the names and credentials of your interviewers days before the interview giving time for LinkedIn stalking and custom question generation. Upon entering the office you are informed which interviewer will be administering the written case (this immediately lets you know when you will be presenting the written case, in your 1st, 2nd, or last interview).

The first hour had the three applicants sit in a room and review the 40 some slides related to the written case with a consultant "proctoring" the process. This period is critical for time management as you have to complete 3 slides on [Executive Summary], [Recommendations + Risks], and [Day 1 Activities] and identify some subset of slides to present with your insights (7-8).

Next, you go to your first interview which, in my case, was a separate case that had nothing to do with the written case. This interview is straight forward with resume walk through, interviewer fit questions, case discussion, ending in Q&A. In my experience, I felt a greater emphasis on the case in the first interview

1 - Resume review with specific/focused questions - 10/15 minutes
    2 - Case Discussion - 20/25 minutes
    3 - Q and A if time available - 5/10 minutes

The 2nd interview was my written case where we did a high-level discussion of experience, followed by the written case, ending in Q&A.

1 - Resume review with questions - 5/10 minutes
    2 - Case Discussion - 30/35 minutes
    3 - Q and A if time available - 5 minutes

The 3rd and final interview was the most relaxed of the bunch with lots of small talk and very little case discussion. The case was a breeze.

1 - Resume review with questions - 15/20 minutes
    2 - Case Discussion - 10/15 minutes
    3 - Q and A if time available - 15/20 minutes

I heard back from the written case partner the next business day with the news that I did not earn a spot but that they wanted me to apply for full-time later in the year. Since then he has set up in-depth feedback sessions with me to improve my performance next time.

Interview Questions
    • The written case was very challenging in identifying what I needed to present and how focused my recommendations should be.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Intern Interview

interview process consists of 30 percent fit and 70 percent case questions. Bain is known to provide graphs and charts during their interviews which is unique from the other firms. Final round is held with directors and partners and it is unclear whether you'll get a case or fit or both.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company.

I applied through my college career center website , got invited to interview on-campus.
    First-round interviews consist of two 30-minute back-to-back interviews with two Associates.
    Interviewers were very nice, and made me feel at ease. The cases were purely mathematical, with very little business insight required (not expecting that at all). If you were good at math and kept calm, you would pass the first round easily.

Interview Questions
    • The qustions were not very difficult. The first one required me to estimate revenues and profits for a family-owned restaurant wanting to open a second branch in a town nearby. Second case was about a high-end luxury watch manufacturer in New England considering whether to enter the affordable watch market.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

First interview was 1.5 hours: met with HR Manager, person whose job I would be filling, and another current Manager Assistant. VERY positive and pleasant experience. Comfortable atmosphere with genuine and enthusiastic people. I knew this was where I wanted to work after the first interview. Second/final interview was 1.5 hours: met with 2 Managers and the HR Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions based on scenarios you would face in the role.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Cases involve alot of math, but they are straightforward. Interviewers are so nice. Don't feel too nervous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

2 rounds of interviews with 2 cases per interview. The cases are very straight forward but they all involve some calculations. Most of the calculations are either market sizing or break even point. The first round lasts 1 hour and the second round is an hour and a half. The interviewers are very friendly an will give feedback.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was concerning my resume and lack of econ background.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through the university's career services website and received an interview through this system. Received a call from a Bain employee who walked me through a practice case interview one week before the on-campus interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very difficult case. Would make sure to practice a variety of different cases beforehand.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Heard of the position through the career services at my school. Was invited to a coffee chat to learn more about the firm. The first round interview was as expected and the interviewer mostly sat back and watched how you approached the case.

Interview Questions
    • What are the benefits of acquiring a slow growth company vs. a fast growing company? What about size of the company?   Answer Question