Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

3.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through campus recruitment, interview was scheduled for 2 back to back 40 minute interviews. Each consisted of brief (5 minutes) behavioral questions and then dove straight into the case. Cases were not extremely difficult, there were a couple key points they were definitely looking for in each. Make sure you nail the math. One interviewer was very friendly and conversational, the other was on her computer the whole and time and seemed disinterested. Don't let that phase you.

I was told to expect to hear back by the end of the week. I never got a phone call and spoke to a few friends who had been denied. Another week went by and everyone I knew had heard back by then so I emailed the recruiter. She responded telling me that I should expect to hear from my interviewer shortly. Another week went by without anything so I emailed one of the consultants that gave me a practice interview. He never responded and I haven't heard anything since. Pretty disappointing from such a respected company.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through my university. I heard back a week later and had a week to prepare for my back-to-back interview. They were two 30-minute case interviews. The first 5 minutes of each had general questions like "Why consulting?" "Why Bain?" But the bulk of the interview was case interviews. First case was with a Junior Consultant, the second case was with a Senior Consultant.

This was my first consulting interview, so I didn't really expect to get it... But the cases had way more math than I anticipated. The interviewers were really nice though and were good at helping you steer your way through the case without being dicks about it. I do think the Junior Consultant "helped" me too much though. He didn't give me any time to think it through, while the Senior Consultant gave me time and let me talk out my thoughts before steering me in a certain direction.

Interview Questions

• Should a telephone company charge per minute or per second?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Two first-round interviews conducted back to back, each 30 minutes. Marginal focus on fit questions - case studies took up the majority of the interview. Interviewers offered few guiding questions and tailored specific questions to match up with my responses.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1 half an hour case study focusing on solving a business challenge by asking for information from the interviewer, followed by a 15 minute fit interview, and another 15 min case study.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about yourself, both at home and after coming to college?"
      "Why are you interested in working for Bain?"

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two case interviews on campus with associates from Bain. They were very helpful and friendly and mostly guided me through the interview. First case was on the groceries industry, and second was on used-phones. Quite esoteric, but not unfamiliar markets to a typical college student. The math required was not very demanding.

Second round was with two analysts and a partner in the Bain SF office. The partner usually has the shortest and easiest case, but also asked a couple behavioral questions (Why Bain? What do you want to do in the future? What interests you? etc.)

Interview Questions

• A client in private equity is thinking of acquiring a IT security company (like McAfee). What would you recommend?

Includes: Market-sizing of the IT security market, growth potential for the IT security market, evaluation of competition.

Associate ConsultantFirst Round Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 back to back 40-minute cases with last 10 mins devoted to a behavioral conversation. Cases were pretty straight-forward, lots of graphs and charts to read. More interviewer-style cases. Profitability and market entry.

Interview Questions

• Size the market for refurbished/ reused phones. Should we enter that market?
      How to improve revenues at a grocery store.

ACI Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interviewed on campus. Two back-to-back 30-minute interviews. The first one was divided into behavioral questions and a mini case. The second interview has a longer case. Both cases were pretty quantitative.

Before the interview somebody from the company contacted me for a practice case, which was in addition to the workshop they ran on campus.

Interview Questions

• Why Bain? Why consulting? What do you like to do in your own time?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Fitst round interview at the office, two.back tk back, one is about profitability thebother about market entry.very laid back. Definitely need to practice prior to the interview, but nothing too extremely.hard

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

applied through campus recruiting. they give a great presentation and sell you on their great culture right away. However it is clear in the first round interview you are judged much more on your case performance than behavioral. I have been told by peers who made it to the second round that there is a much more extensive behavioral component to the interview then, but i would suggest focusing heavily on case prep if you do make it to the first round.

Interview Questions

• How many hot dogs are sold at NFL football games in a given year.   Answer Question

AssociateConsultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First round interview at Bain office, both cases aren't that hard, but they are looking for rly structured thoughts and it's very competitive. There are also some behavioral questions, but most of the focus is on the case