Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
331 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Applied through the university's career services website and received an interview through this system. Received a call from a Bain employee who walked me through a practice case interview one week before the on-campus interview.

Interview Question – Very difficult case. Would make sure to practice a variety of different cases beforehand.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – Heard of the position through the career services at my school. Was invited to a coffee chat to learn more about the firm. The first round interview was as expected and the interviewer mostly sat back and watched how you approached the case.

Interview Question – What are the benefits of acquiring a slow growth company vs. a fast growing company? What about size of the company?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Pretty good, they were very nice and friendly. I interviewed on campus and I had 2 back to back rounds. Overall both interviewers were very nice and guided me through the cases.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. If you've cased before you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a position for summer associate in Brazil. Interviewers were really, really friendly. Almost no fit questions, basically a conversation where they were trying to genuinely talk about the stuff they care about and get to know you a little better.
I did bad in both cases and was not accepted. Cases were more difficult than the ones I had been practicing for.

Interview Question – An airline cost analysis which involved fixed and variable costs and had percentages of percentages.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – round 1 two 45min case interviews - one bsic profitability case and one qualitative

Interview Question – where would u invest   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – 2 cases during the 1st round interview. Cases were fair if you did case preps.

Interview Question – I had a market entry case. I did a cost-benefit analysis, calculated the approx. break-even period, but i didn't realize that there was a capacity issue until the very end. thought that was tricky   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through my university, and completed a first round interview on campus. The interview was two separate case interviews with two separate interviewers. The cases were nothing too crazy. Minimal behavioral interview questions.

Interview Question – The case questions were largely graph and figure driven. Had to know to ask the right questions, but also how to be able to properly analyze the given data.   Answer Question

Consultant (First Year) Interview

Consultant (First Year)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interviews after initial screening process. First round consisted of 3 case interviews and lasted ~3 hours. Second round (later in the week) consisted of a full day of interviews - both behavioral and case studies. One of the case studies was a mock client presentation: you had 45 minutes to review a deck of ~50 graphs and data slides, and synthesize the data into the most important insights to address the client's issue. You then presented your analysis to the interviewer later in the day. The interviewer asked probing questions to challenge your insights, but was not unreasonable. I think they're testing how you handle pressure so the most important thing is to maintain your composure and have a good conversation with your interviewer.

Interview Question – How much does a 747 plane taking off from La Guardia en route to London Heathrow weigh?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Consultant Interview

Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – 1 round of on-campus interview followed by a second and final round of interview at the Bain office in San Francisco.

Interview Question – The interviewer, who's a partner at Bain presented a case of an less-than-optimal investment opportunity, and asked me to evaluate this opportunity and give the potential investor, a retired senior management professional a recommendation.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bain & Company