Bain & Company Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.7

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Need to apply online (it's best if one builds relationships with people at the firm before sending the application. If you're an MBA candidate of one of Bain's target schools, make use of all the opportunities given to you during the recruiting process. The more advocates you have in the firm, the more chances of getting an interview)

First round: 2 case interviews 45-60 minutes
    What's important here is to be structured and drive the case (vs. McKinsey, where you have to answer specific questions posed to you but you're not driving the case)

Second round: case interviews, written case interview and fit interview
    Important for the written case is time management. You'll get a big deck with a lot of information, and time management is key to quickly understand the problem, come up with a hypothesis and argue for a solution based on the data available

Important for the fit interview is to not give general answers (e.g., I like Bain because the people I've met are great". Be as specific as possible about why YOU and how you can contribute to Bain)

Interview Questions

• Be ready to have cases about every industry and capaiblity area (e.g., from music shows, to cement construction companies, food, retail, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Salaries and benefits are the same for each new class

Interview Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

on campus interview. Got 2 case studies, which were very boring. Both take 45 minutes long. The interviewer will disagree with you and question your opinions during the behavioral to see how you would react.

Help Desk Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a standard auto-confirmation receipt. I was contacted within a week to schedule a phone interview, which occurred two days later. At the end of the phone interview an in-person interview was scheduled for two days afterward. I went into their Boston office and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. I then met with 4 members of the Help Desk team in 15-25 minute increments. Each person was very energetic an welcoming, further enforcing the friendly atmosphere of the company. Even the rejection letter I received two days later was very warm and polite. Despite not being offered the position this was a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• I was given a laptop computer that could not connect to the internet and had to diagnose the problem.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Day 1 on campus, 2 case/behavioral interviews. Required to fill out office location but when put 50/50 for two cities was told to pick one. Turns out they only have you interview for your highest priority city.

Day 2 (next day when advanced to final rounds) in hotel near campus, 3 case/behavioral interviews.

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

My current recruiter referred me to Bain & Company. I had an excellent interview with the HR Manager. She was friendly and put me right at ease. All questions were easy to decipher. I asked many relevant questions to end the interview. The entire process took about 45 minutes.

Negotiation

I am in line for a final interview this week. I will meet with four members of staff including the person in the position for which I've applied.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

One Test, then one case interview, then 1st round 2 cases interviews. The HR was very helpful, the interviewers were ok, the working environment seemed gut. The only con would be making us flight 6h in the morning and then wait 3h hours in the office for the round beginn. Good experience overall

Interview Questions

• Business sense related, lots of graphical information, calculations envolved   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

On campus recruiting. First round and then final round interview. Both rounds were quite similar except first round had more market sizing. Second round one case had a chart.

Interview Questions

• Difficult private equity case without much information to work with.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Contacted for an interview after submitting an application via university recruiting. Great interview prep resources online and with a session at their office. First round interview consisted of 2 back-to-back case interviews, no experience questions were asked. One case was a little softer than the other in terms of quant/math questions, but both had those aspects to them.

Interview Questions

• Both cases had tricky aspects to their quant questions.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Career Center website, college recruiting. I submitted a cover letter, resume, and transcript to my college recruiting website. Heard back about a week later for an interview. Cases were actually not too very difficult. Mine was done over Skype. Overall, interview process was very enjoyable. I was contacted the next day regarding the results of the interview. Feedback was given.

Interview Questions

• Personal questions on my resume for the first 10 minutes then a twenty minute case. 2 30 minute interviews back to back.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

got the interview invite through on-campus career center. went through the 1st round by nailing two typical cases (no behavioral questions). the 2nd round was in a hotel. the interviewers really tried to throw you off by providing lots of information that were irrelevant to the case - i was tricked. If i knew before hand, i could have done better.

Interview Questions

• case questions: there was one case the interviewer threw 11-12 exhibits at me and asked for takeaways   Answer Question