Bain & Company

3.7

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

First, there is a resume and cover letter drop by the recruiting deadline in early fall. Then, first of two interview rounds started three weeks later. We were notified a week and a half before the first interview date although they were flexible on the interview week in case there was any date conflict. Those outside the immediate office area did first rounds over the phone. First round is basically all case driven. Doing well on both case interviews while being able to answer a few personal fit questions meant that you passed the first round.

Interview Questions
    • What industry or type of work are you most interested in and why? What is the biggest leadership role you've had?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

I was referred and was contacted within a day for phone interview. Had basic questions such as What is your current salary? I haven't interviewed in a while which came across in my initial phone interview.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

Two case phone interviews for the first round. They paired me with a mentor who helped prep me for the phone case interviews, and he gave me lots of materials with which to prepare. The cases were fairly standard: market sizing, profitability estimates, etc. Round 2 would have been two in-person interviews.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interviewed through campus. case interview. interview was very nice and helpful, led me through questions. sent in application through campus recruiting. went to info sessions. invited to interview within a week of sending in resume. two rounds of case study questions. one of them you have to analyze graphs. great learning experience.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Received first round interview on campus. Two back to back cases, no graphs/charts, which I had been expecting. One vague case and then one straightforward private equity investment case. If you don't completely crush both cases, you will not get offered a 2nd round interview.

Interview Questions
    • Must be able to understand what they're asking for. Nothing stood out as unexpected though.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview was very standard, had me fill out paper application upon arrival. Interview was extremely short. Went over resume and job description, discussed previous roles. Interviewer asked case hypotheticals. Interview was set up through hiring agency so communication was minimal.

PTA Interview

submitted resume through an employee I met and had some conversation (the employee forwarded my resume to the HR), got phone interview by an employee (not HR) (rescheduled once because the interviewer was too busy and forgot the interview), got email within one week saying hired. It was for an PTA position in China, not in the States, though.

Interview Questions
    • what are the challenges in the next 3 years for any industry   Answer Question

Time & Expense Coordinator Interview

They keep you very well informed. They are honest. They do not list all of the positives that they should. Open communication. Hiring process- simple and straight forward. They use a 3rd party for a credit check and they are quick also :)

Interview Questions
    • Questions were typical interview questions, nothing too difficult or challenging.   Answer Question
    simple

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2014.

Initially I submitted online, and through the school. They emailed to notify us of first round interviews. The interviews consisted of 2 case interviews with 2 different people. Each case interview was fairly straightforward seeming, but it was important to look at the big picture, what the numbers mean. It was important not to get flustered when the interviewer pointed out mistakes or missed aspects.

Interview Questions
    • A case about implementation of ATMs showed that one option provided a higher profit, but it was important also to consider the risks involved with that option before recommending implementation.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2014.

Interviewed on campus. The people were all very nice and the cases were not extremely hard. Know the basics. A case about a wood mat company whose products were used by oil n gas companies due to environmental regulations.

Interview Questions
    • Things to consider to decide whether to invest in a firm.   Answer Question