Bain & Company Interview Questions & Reviews

340 interviews

3.7

Anonymous Employee  in  Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Bain & Company.

The interview process was interesting and intense too, I had 2 case interviews at my school and they tried to make it challenging and tested my math skills as well. I had to have a bit of creativity in the process.

Interview Questions
    • A question about healthcare revenue and customer growth threw me off. Practice your core math skills   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interviewed on campus and at a hotel - 2 rounds of 1-on-1 interviews that were fairly straightforward. 1 out of 4 interviews involved an exhibit (charts) and the rest did not. Found it useful just to talk through the problem as they were more interested in following the thought process. Messed up the math terribly but still made it to the second round. Also got market-sizing questions in almost all the interviews.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2009.

You must apply through a top school online or have a friend submit your app if they don't recruit on your campus

Interview Questions
    • It is all case based and will depend on the particular interviewer - you should prepare or you are screwed - use real case studies to prepare   Answer Question
    no negotiations except for on start date selection

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Went through a college recruiting process — standard resume, cover letter. Did not network at all with Bain before beginning the interviews and did only a few cases as prep. First round was two 30-minute case interviews with a few fit questions and resume reviews; they were behind schedule and felt rushed. The two interviewers were both young Consultants, recent business school graduates, who were friendly and supportive even in a few moments I struggled with a case. One complimented my socks.

Somehow, I got through them, and the next day was invited to another office for a final-round interview a week later. Three candidates were there for that position; the night before, we had dinner and drinks with a collection of managers, consultants, and associates in the office. It was a relaxed, no-pressure environment, and I had ample opportunity to schmooze and relax with the assembled staff. (I actually thought it was a fun dinner.)

On the day of the final round interviews, I was given my interviewers' biographies (which I should have gotten at the dinner, had I not needed to leave early). I and the other two candidates filled out background-check information forms nervously before our interviews. The recruiters and receptionists were very friendly and a calming presence. The format was three 40-minute interviews; two were case interviews (one with a manager and one with a partner) and one was a fit interview with a consultant who worked as a mentor within the firm. I luckily had my cases first and then my fit interview, which let me ease into the day.

Both case interviews were challenging, but stimulating. They were not framework-friendly, and instead were driven by intellection and inference — it was crucial to apply Bain's hypothesis-driven approach to succeed. I stumbled in both, but kept up a great rapport with both the manager and partner. They were fun. The second interview was by far the most challenging; I was essentially made to ask questions and throw out dozens of hypotheses for a case which was not exactly solvable. The fit interview was very relaxed and friendly — some "why consulting," "what makes Bain stand out," "what other firms are you considering," and "what should we expect if we give you an offer" questions, but mostly a nice chat with a lovely person.

I flew back to school and received a Saturday afternoon phone call from the partner who had interviewed me, both to congratulate me on receiving an offer and to offer immediate feedback on my approach to the cases. He dissected my approach and gave me constructive feedback and areas to focus on in the future with Bain. Perhaps his most interesting note was that, while the two other candidates (from engineering and business undergraduate programs) breezed through the cases mathematically, I was less detail-oriented but more right-brained, and that the firm valued liberal-arts students like myself. (His exact words were "your left brain is teachable.") I was extended an offer in writing three days later.

Interview Questions
    • Being flat-out told "You're wrong. Why are you wrong?" in a case with a partner.   View Answer
    There really wasn't that much negotiation there — I didn't have any other offers and was happy with what I had been offered, so it was an easy sign. Perhaps I should have fought for it.

Anonymous Employee  in  Providence, RI
    Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Participated in the on-campus interview. The process's really quick. Decisions are made on the same day. Questions are quite common. Tell me about yourself. Talk about something you're proud of. And a short case will be given.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Applied online. First round interview in NYC office. 2 30-minute cases.

Interview Questions
    • Normal profitability case. Most difficult questions are brainstorming questions that test creativity. Quantitative questions are easy.   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interviewed with supervisor, other girls in position that I was interviewing for and also the managers I would be supporting. I believe it probably took 2-3 weeks total for interviewing process to be completed. Very friendly people make it a comfortable interview.

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Went through on campus recruiting. First round interviews were essentially seeing if candidates were able to do a case well. They interviewed 140 applicants for the first round at my school. I advanced to the final round. Cases were of slightly higher difficulty in the final round, but not beyond what you would expect in an interview for a MC firm.

Interview Questions
    • In cases be sure to think of expected value and how to apply it to the situation.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

I applied to Bain through my university recruiting website. They took about a week to review my resume, and then offered me a first round interview. The interview had two back to back case interviews. They were a bit tricky, more qualitative than quantitative. I heard back from them in about a week.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to help the manager of a mining organization increase their profits, what are some costs of an operation like this and how can you mitigate them?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Applied through on campus recruiting. The application included transcript, resume and cover letter. First round interviews were on campus and had 2 30-minute case interviews. Second round interviews were at the office and had 3 40-minute case interviews.