Bain & Company Interview Questions & Reviews

340 interviews

3.7

Anonymous Employee  in  Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Bain recruits at my school, but I got in communication with the firm early by reaching out to a friend of mine. I went through a weeklong networking process of information sessions, coffee chats, and receptions until I received an interview invitation. First round was two thirty minute interviews with Consultants--both case interviews with a good amount of math involved. In the final round, I had two 45 minute interviews with Managers that were more qualitative than my first round. I really enjoyed the people that I met and the vibe of the firm.

Interview Questions
    • Our client is a private equity fund that is looking to acquire company X in the Y market. The company has been growing over the past couple of years so the client believes it to be a good acquisition but they want us to come in and tell them whether their intuition is correct.   Answer Question

Consultant (First Year) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bain & Company.

They did not recruit at my school however I was lucky enough to receive an interview. First round was via phone with 2 principles. Fit interview for 10 mins then 1 case from each interviewer. Cases were not so hard straight forward but they were very dynamics and encompassed many different frameworks.

Interview Questions
    • How much to purchase competitor even if it is loosing money. Interviewer asked this question in many different ways.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2010.

Bain conducts case interviews as is the case with many management consulting firms. My experience was through on campus recruiting at Harvard Business School during the dedicated interview period for first year summer internships. The process was very fast with first round interviews, second round and offers all happening within one week. For first round, I had two case interviews with senior managers from the Boston office. For second rounds, I had 3 interviews, 2 cases with a partner and a senior manager, and 1 behavioral/fit interview with a senior partner. After this second round the senior partner called to give me my offer. The interviewers were all very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interviews are challenging because they are real-life business cases that the interviewer must work through. One of the more challenging ones involved some data in the software industry. It included a bubble chart with three dimensions of data - y-axis, x-axis and bubble size. There was a lot going on in the industry and the case involved synthesizing all of the information/trends and providing strategy recommendations for the client.   View Answer
    There isn't much room for negotiation. Bain hires large classes of consultants out of business school and keeps all contracts standard.

Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company.

First Round Interview: Two case interviews. I completely failed one of them and did all right with the other. Basically, I was ill-prepared and not comfortable with being able to think structurally. However, the Bain consultants were extremely friendly and supportive and provided great feedback and support.

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Campus recruiting. Bain was very organized throughout the process. They even hosted a case interview workshop prior to first round interviews, which was helpful for someone who hadn't interviewed in a while. Practice your cases back to front, and get good estimates about market sizing. All of that came up in my interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Two relatively basic cases, one about semiconductor growth and one about the bottled tea market.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Standard case interviews, 2 for 30 min each. Hardly anything on fit. If you prepared, it shouldn't be hard. There's also a reception the day before. Bain people are supposed to be "cool" compared to other consulting firms. I definitely gained insight into what kind of people I want to work with and what kind of work I consider meaningful. Good experience; really helps you clarify your thoughts about the job and the employees.

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

First round was conducted on my school's campus. Two back to back cases. Both were market sizing cases. Second round was at the office. Three back to back interviews. One was more structured case problem, the second two were more "think through a problem" cases.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for summer ACI salaries.

Summer Associate Interview

fit & case interviews for 2 rounds. Second round included written case interview

Interview Questions
    • Written case interview (you are given 20+ slides of charts and 60 minutes to come to a solution, then present it to hiring partners/managers who will challenge your assumptions and analyses)   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

First round was a case interview in their office in NYC. Two cases were presented, each with a different associate. They ask a few behavioral questions and about your resume, but the real interview's all about the cases. None of the interviewers were from the office I was interested in at the time, I guess Bain centralizes its interview process, or at least for international offices.

Interview Questions
    • Advising someone who wants to go into wine production.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Two first round interviews with Consultants; three second round interviews with Managers and Partners. Engaging in meaningful conversation and demonstrating fit with the office was key in the second round. In both rounds, cases were very straightforward and did not aim to be confusing or misleading, but therefore addressing every element correctly was essential.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing harder than Case in Point, however not a lot of emphasis on advanced frameworks.   Answer Question