Bain & Company

3.7

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Great office work culture, nice laid-back people.

Did the accelerated interview process due to study abroad. First round in December, second round in January. First round: 2 case interviews back to back; second round: 3 case interviews back to back to back. Mostly case based, very few behavioral questions other than tell me about yourself or walk me through your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something interesting about yourself not on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Questions
    • Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview consisted of two cases. First case involved laundry as a service and breaking it down into segments to better understand how it could grow. Second case involved a company that owned a mall that was looking at growing its revenue through renovation. Had to calculate basic numbers such as payback period and return on investment.

Interview Questions
    • Had to calculate return on investment in my head with no paper or pen so be prepared to think on your feet fast.   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

The whole process is very friendly and well organized. Both first round and second round are both at the company. Frist round is two 30 min case with two associate consultants, second round is three 45 min case with two VPs and one partner. Everyone is really nice and willing to talk with you.

Consultant Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

It took about 2 weeks, and I applied through my campus recruiting center.

Everyone was SO nice! Although I did not get the position, I can say that it was an A+ experience. The people interviewing seem to care about making you feel comfortable.

I had a standard case interview, with two different individuals. One called me, that same day, and explained why I would not be progressing to the second round. He was kind, but frank. I appreciated it.

Interview Questions
    • "What is something that you are very proud of, but it is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2012.

On-campus recruiting event, followed by Information session on how to Ace a case interview. Overall very organized system. Got assigned a buddy (a 2nd year AC), even though just 4-5 days before the first-round interview.

First-round interview on campus made up of two 30 minute long case interviews.

Associate Consultant Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2012.

First round interviews consisted of 2 thirty-minute in-person case interviews, back to back. Followed the typical format of case interviews, so I knew exactly what to prepare for and expect, but at the same time had no idea what specific questions I would be answering. Definitely a hard interview, but the people were nice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself that isn't on your resume?   Answer Question
    • PharmaCo's sales have stagnated, why and how do we fix it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Bain & Company rarely interviews PhD candidates for associate positions, so I was surprised and flattered to land this interview at all. I attribute my success mainly to meeting a partner from Bain & Company for coffee who was one of the first PhD hires ever at Bain and also an alumnus at the institute where I am pursuing graduate studies. This partner was so impressed with me that she/he told me I had to apply.

The interview was standard consulting fare. There were two back-to-back case interviews. The first one with with an engagement-manger level associate, and the second one was with a principal level consultant. I had great rapport with my first interviewer; he even told me about the time half the office dressed up like vikings and "pillaged" the other employers with plastic weaponry. My first interviewer even remarked that I was not their typical interviewee, but he noted that the partner I met had recommended me.

From the start, my second interviewer seemed disinterested in me in general. He gave me a case, but he preceding it by telling me it would not very serious or structured. He delivered on his promise and the case was pretty open-ended. He didn't even ask me to sum up my findings when it was over. We had some pleasant Q&A after the case, but I could sense that he was just clearly not interested in hiring me.

The nicest thing about Bain & Company is that they call you right away. They don't leave you hanging in any sense; I got the rejection call that same evening--I was expecting a rejection of course. My first interviewer made the call--no doubt since he actually like me. He told me it was great to meet me, but that I wasn't "at the level they needed me to be at" for a call-back to interview for round two. I'm not sure that feedback was particularly helpful, but I did appreciate the quick phone call.

Interview Questions
    • A major chemical distribution firm wants to grow its business. How to approach outlining a growth strategy for them?   View Answer
    • A major casino company has been losing revenues over the past two years. How would you approach figuring out why?   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2011.

Standard consulting intervew. First round was way easier than on this board. KNOW HOW TO DO PERCENTAGES quickly e.g. 15 percent of a number. Stupid question on two cars with different intial costs and MPG, find breakeven point.

Gets trickier in later rounds. Zero stress tests, Bain is a nice company.

Interview Questions
    • Given charts and asked to estimate market size of IT developers who can create websites   Answer Question
    • Find breakeven point with two cars (Prius and Pontiac G6) given MPG, wanted to know how long in years given miles driven per week   View Answer

Better offer elsewhere