Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – There were multiple rounds of interviews. 2 shorter interviews in one block for the first round (~30 minutes) with 3 interviews in the second round (~45 minutes). The first round emphasizes quantitative skills and ability to do the case a bit more while the second round places a bit more emphasis on candidate fit.

Interview Question – Just run of the mill business cases. Nothing especially difficult or tricky.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication was through email to set up the first round of interviews. This process was very smooth and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful in answering any questions. Once in the office, they will provide you with a description of the interviewers along with their backgrounds. The interviewers themselves were friendly but became really stoic during the actual interview.

Interview Question – Interview was 1.5 hours long with 2 cases lasting 45 minutes each. Both cases were drawn from the same industry - U.S. airlines   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Summer Associate Consultant
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Great office work culture, nice laid-back people.

Did the accelerated interview process due to study abroad. First round in December, second round in January. First round: 2 case interviews back to back; second round: 3 case interviews back to back to back. Mostly case based, very few behavioral questions other than tell me about yourself or walk me through your resume.

Interview Question – Tell me something interesting about yourself not on your resume.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant Intern Interview

Consultant Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – It took about 2 weeks, and I applied through my campus recruiting center.

Everyone was SO nice! Although I did not get the position, I can say that it was an A+ experience. The people interviewing seem to care about making you feel comfortable.

I had a standard case interview, with two different individuals. One called me, that same day, and explained why I would not be progressing to the second round. He was kind, but frank. I appreciated it.

Interview Question – "What is something that you are very proud of, but it is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – The whole process is very friendly and well organized. Both first round and second round are both at the company. Frist round is two 30 min case with two associate consultants, second round is three 45 min case with two VPs and one partner. Everyone is really nice and willing to talk with you.

Interview Question – Just case interviews   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of two cases. First case involved laundry as a service and breaking it down into segments to better understand how it could grow. Second case involved a company that owned a mall that was looking at growing its revenue through renovation. Had to calculate basic numbers such as payback period and return on investment.

Interview Question – Had to calculate return on investment in my head with no paper or pen so be prepared to think on your feet fast.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – On-campus recruiting event, followed by Information session on how to Ace a case interview. Overall very organized system. Got assigned a buddy (a 2nd year AC), even though just 4-5 days before the first-round interview.

First-round interview on campus made up of two 30 minute long case interviews.

Interview Question – What is the market size of surfboards in the US?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in December 2009.

Interview Details – Lots of networking. 2 first round interviews - one case, one behavioral. 3 second round interviews, 2 cases and 1 "presentation"

Interview Question – A case about restaurant profitability.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Internship Interview

Associate Consultant Internship
Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – First round interviews consisted of 2 thirty-minute in-person case interviews, back to back. Followed the typical format of case interviews, so I knew exactly what to prepare for and expect, but at the same time had no idea what specific questions I would be answering. Definitely a hard interview, but the people were nice.

Interview Questions

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Los Angeles, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – Standard consulting intervew. First round was way easier than on this board. KNOW HOW TO DO PERCENTAGES quickly e.g. 15 percent of a number. Stupid question on two cars with different intial costs and MPG, find breakeven point.

Gets trickier in later rounds. Zero stress tests, Bain is a nice company.

Interview Questions

• Given charts and asked to estimate market size of IT developers who can create websites   Answer Question
  • Find breakeven point with two cars (Prius and Pontiac G6) given MPG, wanted to know how long in years given miles driven per week   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!