Bain & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Summer Associate Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – I got the interview through on-campus recruiting. Was studying abroad at the time so had to do a Skype interview. Two interviewers who seemed thoroughly uninterested in anything I had to say starting from the beginning.

Contacted same day.

Interview Question – Case on clothing company.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – 1 round of on-campus interview followed by a second and final round of interview at the Bain office in San Francisco.

Interview Question – The interviewer, who's a partner at Bain presented a case of an less-than-optimal investment opportunity, and asked me to evaluate this opportunity and give the potential investor, a retired senior management professional a recommendation.   Answer Question

IT Support Specialist Interview

IT Support Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – Three different phases of interview.

Initial Phone call by the HR recruiter. Generally an all around good experience. Nothing too difficult here just some basic interview questions about yourself, your goals, and getting a general sense of who you are.

2nd Phone all by the Manager: A bit more in depth than the first. They asked some common technical questions and again try to get a general idea of your personality, your motivations and what drives you. The interview was fairly lengthy lasting about 30 mins or so.

3rd phase - In person interview: I was a bit surprised by this part. The interview is very lengthy and it consisted of three people separately. They go over some common questions about your work experience, systems you've had to deal with as well as giving you some common scenarios and asking you to walk them through your troubleshooting steps. The interview starts with the Manager, followed by the senior and lastly the regional director. Lasted about 1:30 hours.

Interview Question – A user is having trouble downloading a file from the file server - it downloads but it does so extremely slowly. What could be the problem?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online before the early-bird deadline. Got invited to a half-day "Get to Know Bain" event that included presentation about the company, group case practice and a social dinner.

Got invited to 1st round interview one week after the official deadline.

Two 1:1 behavioral + case interviews. Heard the result from one interviewer the night on the interview day. Not invited to the final round.

Interview Question – Please evaluate what a time-share developer should pay attention to when they want to buy a time-share exchange network company. After clarifying what is time-share developer and time-share exchange network, the interviewer told me he had no more data and I was asked to talk for the rest 30min.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Case study + questions on resume & personal development

Interview Question – Case study about various industries with varying questions   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – Standard hiring process through college. Dates and deadlines announced online, with a generic info-session arranged at the college. Upload your resume, cover letter and transcripts online. First round is on campus, followed by at-office for the second decision round. Hardest parts are the resume screening and round 2.

Notwithstanding what anyone says - it helps to network and know people at the office. Also, Bain arranges a mock case study session like most other big consulting firms before starting the interviews and after resume screening is done. DO NOT go into the idea that the mock cases are in anyway representative of what the actual interview are like. Actual cases are very intensive and need ample previous practice.

Interview Question – A round 2 case with the Partner. Case was about VAT (sales tax) recovery option for foreign tourists in a country. The agency that handles the VAT recovery is an investment target for a private equity firm. The task was to suggest growth strategies to the pr.eq. for the agency's business. Note the deliberate use of multiple confusing layers, and bringing up an industry that you are sure never to have heard of. The challenge is to be able to deal with such situations.   View Answer

Advanced Ph D Internship Interview

Advanced Ph D Internship
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – First year they were accepting PhD applications. You must apply one year before you graduate like most internships. They were extremely friendly and efficient. Assigned everyone an interview buddy, and prepped you for the interview process (great considering many of us have never had a real interview coming out of a PhD). Interviewed with two Management Consultants, who were both kind and professional. Study your cases! And then be prepared to think outside the box.

Seems like an amazing place to work. Definitely a great first interview experience.

Interview Question – Estimate the demand of plastic bags in the U.S.?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – Standard management consulting interview process - a mix of written case interviews, oral case interviews, and "fit" interviews. The interviewers were genuinely interested in getting to know you and testing your knowledge, not tripping you up with trick questions.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary...   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – First round interviews took place on campus and consisted of two 1:1 interviews which included behavioral questions and a case. Interviewers are very pleasant and collaborative. Second round interviews were at the company's office downtown. Three 1:1 interviews. One traditional case with a partner, one behavioral interview, and one written case. For the written case, you are given one hour to read the case and prepare a slide deck. You then present your slide deck to a partner and work through the case with him/her. It was far more collaborate than I expected. The case focuses on interpreting pertinent information from a slide deck full of information. It is not a quantitative triangle like at firms such as Monitor or second round AT Kearney, but still challenging. All around great people and great experience.

Interview Question – What market should a mass retailer enter   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees and interview candidates.