Bain & Company

3.8

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in December 2014.

My current recruiter referred me to Bain & Company. I had an excellent interview with the HR Manager. She was friendly and put me right at ease. All questions were easy to decipher. I asked many relevant questions to end the interview. The entire process took about 45 minutes.

I am in line for a final interview this week. I will meet with four members of staff including the person in the position for which I've applied.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company in October 2014.

First, there is a resume and cover letter drop by the recruiting deadline in early fall. Then, first of two interview rounds started three weeks later. We were notified a week and a half before the first interview date although they were flexible on the interview week in case there was any date conflict. Those outside the immediate office area did first rounds over the phone. First round is basically all case driven. Doing well on both case interviews while being able to answer a few personal fit questions meant that you passed the first round.

Interview Questions
    • What industry or type of work are you most interested in and why? What is the biggest leadership role you've had?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company.

1 round of on-campus interview followed by a second and final round of interview at the Bain office in San Francisco.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer, who's a partner at Bain presented a case of an less-than-optimal investment opportunity, and asked me to evaluate this opportunity and give the potential investor, a retired senior management professional a recommendation.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

I got the interview through on-campus recruiting. Was studying abroad at the time so had to do a Skype interview. Two interviewers who seemed thoroughly uninterested in anything I had to say starting from the beginning.

Contacted same day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2013.

Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Advanced Ph D Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

First year they were accepting PhD applications. You must apply one year before you graduate like most internships. They were extremely friendly and efficient. Assigned everyone an interview buddy, and prepped you for the interview process (great considering many of us have never had a real interview coming out of a PhD). Interviewed with two Management Consultants, who were both kind and professional. Study your cases! And then be prepared to think outside the box.

Seems like an amazing place to work. Definitely a great first interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the demand of plastic bags in the U.S.?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in November 2012.

Case study + questions on resume & personal development

Interview Questions
    • Case study about various industries with varying questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Standard hiring process through college. Dates and deadlines announced online, with a generic info-session arranged at the college. Upload your resume, cover letter and transcripts online. First round is on campus, followed by at-office for the second decision round. Hardest parts are the resume screening and round 2.

Notwithstanding what anyone says - it helps to network and know people at the office. Also, Bain arranges a mock case study session like most other big consulting firms before starting the interviews and after resume screening is done. DO NOT go into the idea that the mock cases are in anyway representative of what the actual interview are like. Actual cases are very intensive and need ample previous practice.

Interview Questions
    • A round 2 case with the Partner. Case was about VAT (sales tax) recovery option for foreign tourists in a country. The agency that handles the VAT recovery is an investment target for a private equity firm. The task was to suggest growth strategies to the pr.eq. for the agency's business. Note the deliberate use of multiple confusing layers, and bringing up an industry that you are sure never to have heard of. The challenge is to be able to deal with such situations.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in October 2012.

Applied online before the early-bird deadline. Got invited to a half-day "Get to Know Bain" event that included presentation about the company, group case practice and a social dinner.

Got invited to 1st round interview one week after the official deadline.

Two 1:1 behavioral + case interviews. Heard the result from one interviewer the night on the interview day. Not invited to the final round.

Interview Questions
    • Please evaluate what a time-share developer should pay attention to when they want to buy a time-share exchange network company. After clarifying what is time-share developer and time-share exchange network, the interviewer told me he had no more data and I was asked to talk for the rest 30min.   View Answer

IT Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in June 2012.

Three different phases of interview.

Initial Phone call by the HR recruiter. Generally an all around good experience. Nothing too difficult here just some basic interview questions about yourself, your goals, and getting a general sense of who you are.

2nd Phone all by the Manager: A bit more in depth than the first. They asked some common technical questions and again try to get a general idea of your personality, your motivations and what drives you. The interview was fairly lengthy lasting about 30 mins or so.

3rd phase - In person interview: I was a bit surprised by this part. The interview is very lengthy and it consisted of three people separately. They go over some common questions about your work experience, systems you've had to deal with as well as giving you some common scenarios and asking you to walk them through your troubleshooting steps. The interview starts with the Manager, followed by the senior and lastly the regional director. Lasted about 1:30 hours.

Interview Questions
    • A user is having trouble downloading a file from the file server - it downloads but it does so extremely slowly. What could be the problem?   View Answer