Bain & Company Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

3.6

Associate ConsultantFirst Round Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 back to back 40-minute cases with last 10 mins devoted to a behavioral conversation. Cases were pretty straight-forward, lots of graphs and charts to read. More interviewer-style cases. Profitability and market entry.

Interview Questions

• Size the market for refurbished/ reused phones. Should we enter that market?
      How to improve revenues at a grocery store.

Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

My current recruiter referred me to Bain & Company. I had an excellent interview with the HR Manager. She was friendly and put me right at ease. All questions were easy to decipher. I asked many relevant questions to end the interview. The entire process took about 45 minutes.

Negotiation

I am in line for a final interview this week. I will meet with four members of staff including the person in the position for which I've applied.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

First, there is a resume and cover letter drop by the recruiting deadline in early fall. Then, first of two interview rounds started three weeks later. We were notified a week and a half before the first interview date although they were flexible on the interview week in case there was any date conflict. Those outside the immediate office area did first rounds over the phone. First round is basically all case driven. Doing well on both case interviews while being able to answer a few personal fit questions meant that you passed the first round.

Interview Questions

• What industry or type of work are you most interested in and why? What is the biggest leadership role you've had?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1 round of on-campus interview followed by a second and final round of interview at the Bain office in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer, who's a partner at Bain presented a case of an less-than-optimal investment opportunity, and asked me to evaluate this opportunity and give the potential investor, a retired senior management professional a recommendation.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I got the interview through on-campus recruiting. Was studying abroad at the time so had to do a Skype interview. Two interviewers who seemed thoroughly uninterested in anything I had to say starting from the beginning.

Contacted same day.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Everything was super professional. I had 2 interviews on campus and 3 interviews in-office. All the interviews included 10-15 minutes of behavioral questions and then a short case (20-30 minutes).

Advanced Ph D Internship Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

First year they were accepting PhD applications. You must apply one year before you graduate like most internships. They were extremely friendly and efficient. Assigned everyone an interview buddy, and prepped you for the interview process (great considering many of us have never had a real interview coming out of a PhD). Interviewed with two Management Consultants, who were both kind and professional. Study your cases! And then be prepared to think outside the box.

Seems like an amazing place to work. Definitely a great first interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the demand of plastic bags in the U.S.?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Case study + questions on resume & personal development

Interview Questions

• Case study about various industries with varying questions   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Standard hiring process through college. Dates and deadlines announced online, with a generic info-session arranged at the college. Upload your resume, cover letter and transcripts online. First round is on campus, followed by at-office for the second decision round. Hardest parts are the resume screening and round 2.

Notwithstanding what anyone says - it helps to network and know people at the office. Also, Bain arranges a mock case study session like most other big consulting firms before starting the interviews and after resume screening is done. DO NOT go into the idea that the mock cases are in anyway representative of what the actual interview are like. Actual cases are very intensive and need ample previous practice.

Interview Questions

• A round 2 case with the Partner. Case was about VAT (sales tax) recovery option for foreign tourists in a country. The agency that handles the VAT recovery is an investment target for a private equity firm. The task was to suggest growth strategies to the pr.eq. for the agency's business. Note the deliberate use of multiple confusing layers, and bringing up an industry that you are sure never to have heard of. The challenge is to be able to deal with such situations.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online before the early-bird deadline. Got invited to a half-day "Get to Know Bain" event that included presentation about the company, group case practice and a social dinner.

Got invited to 1st round interview one week after the official deadline.

Two 1:1 behavioral + case interviews. Heard the result from one interviewer the night on the interview day. Not invited to the final round.

Interview Questions

• Please evaluate what a time-share developer should pay attention to when they want to buy a time-share exchange network company. After clarifying what is time-share developer and time-share exchange network, the interviewer told me he had no more data and I was asked to talk for the rest 30min.   1 Answer