Bain & Company

Updated Jan 5, 2015

4.4

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2014.

My initial contact was during on campus recruiting. Tradionally, Bain has a 5 stage recruiting proccess. The first is an analytical and business case multiple choice test. If you suceed, the next stage is a group dinamyc. The goal is to assess your behavior when working with a team. For those who are aproved, the remaining 3 stages are rounds of 2 interviews each. The interviews all have a similar structure: breaking the ice with personal questions, business case and final questions.

People were all very kind and the cuture in the office seems to be "work hard, play hard".

Interview Questions
    • Cost of one adittional passenger for an airline in an average flight.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in May 2014.

GMAT test, group dynamics, three rounds of two interviews each. Every interviewer was nice and helpful. I could sense they had a collaborative culture, and that made me want to work there. They emphasized the low-hierarchy environment, and the way they treated me made me believe that that was true.

Interview Questions
    • A business case regarding a crude oil storage industry. The first question was: why does it exist?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I just accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in June 2012.

Bain, as other premium consulting company has a tremendously hard recruiting process. To apply in Brazil you need to have studied at one of the top 5 universities. Phase 1 consists of of a GMAT-like test + multiple choice bussiness case test (~40% acceptance). Then there is a group interview that evaluates your capacity to work in group and your "Bain fit", which means the interviewer would personally enjoy working with you (~50% acceptance). For last is the really tough part, which is 3 rounds of doubles interviews with managers and later on with partners (~50% acceptance in each round).

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I had was after a mostly quantitative case in IT, which the interviewer asked me what I would do to reduce the excess headcount that I had just calculated.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in April 2012.

It starts of with a group interview where groups of 4 members are designed to solve a business case in three steps. This first phase is more to get a feeling of the applicants.
    Then there were three consulting rounds, each with two interviews with different interviewers, where were considered the proficiency in solving business cases, with increasing difficulty in each round.
    The interviewers were all really kind and seemed eager to help out when the applicant got stuck, but it’s a very difficult job interview overall

Interview Questions
    • It was not unexpected, but the reason why consulting and why Bain really seemed to be of great importance for each interviewer, where not “homemade” answers were greatly welcomed.   Answer Question
    I’m to start after I end my graduation, which were a great surprise as I expected then to send me over to apply next year

Junior Information Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in December 2011.

I was very nervous at the beginning, but they do their best to make you feel comfortable. First round interviews consisted of about 5 min talking about my resumé in English, and then we procceeded to the case question. Bain is known for its mostly quantitative case questions, and so they were. For both cases, the interviewer asked "qualitatively speaking, what do you think we should examine first to get to the root of the problem?". After that, came the numerical questions. One was a market sizing one, featuring a very difficult geometrical interpretation of a hypothetical age structure diagram (even though I have an Engineering background). I got dismissed at the very first round.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bain & Company in December 2011.

Applied online and got a phone call within a week. They scheduled an one hour written test that resembled the GMAT (8 questions on data sufficiency, 8 on critical reasoning and 4 on problem solving). After that I got another test, business related. That one was way harder and I did not had time to finish it properly. After passing both, I got scheduled for a two 1:1 interview. One was a case on profit decline, the other an estimation question.

Intern Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in September 2011.

Firstly, you'll have to take a GMAT test. Then, there's a group dynamic. Last of all, an interview. Everyone who took the first test thought they were very hard and the tests that the company provided at its website were so much easier! I haven’t started working at Bain and I’m looking forward to meet my team, colleagues and so on. Another thing: you’ll have to apply online and also send your curriculum vitae to them by the online application, never by email, because this is the only way they’d accept it. The overall image of the company is very good and work should be challenging.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negociate salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bain & Company in May 2010.

Very labor intensive process, requiring a lot of resources from the company. Nevertheless, it is worth it because you get a broad range of views about the company.