Bain & Company

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Process was very quick from application to first round interview. interviews took place on campus. it was a straightforward 2-5 minutes of small talk and then the case interview. two back to back 30 minute cases and done.

Interview Question – study your cases   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – I got the interview through on-campus recruiting. Was studying abroad at the time so had to do a Skype interview. Two interviewers who seemed thoroughly uninterested in anything I had to say starting from the beginning.

Contacted same day.

Interview Question – Case on clothing company.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – I applied through our campus recruiting, and had a first round phone interview that consisted of two cases back to back, then had final rounds at the Bain Boston office that were again two cases back to back. The final rounds also had a "fit" component in addition to the case.

Interview Question – The cases were all fairly similar, and not too complicated. Each had a creative portion and a number portion   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Great office work culture, nice laid-back people.

Did the accelerated interview process due to study abroad. First round in December, second round in January. First round: 2 case interviews back to back; second round: 3 case interviews back to back to back. Mostly case based, very few behavioral questions other than tell me about yourself or walk me through your resume.

Interview Question – Tell me something interesting about yourself not on your resume.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – I applied through my college career center website , got invited to interview on-campus.
First-round interviews consist of two 30-minute back-to-back interviews with two Associates.
Interviewers were very nice, and made me feel at ease. The cases were purely mathematical, with very little business insight required (not expecting that at all). If you were good at math and kept calm, you would pass the first round easily.

Interview Question – The qustions were not very difficult. The first one required me to estimate revenues and profits for a family-owned restaurant wanting to open a second branch in a town nearby. Second case was about a high-end luxury watch manufacturer in New England considering whether to enter the affordable watch market.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I interviewed at Bain & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews with 2 cases per interview. The cases are very straight forward but they all involve some calculations. Most of the calculations are either market sizing or break even point. The first round lasts 1 hour and the second round is an hour and a half. The interviewers are very friendly an will give feedback.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was concerning my resume and lack of econ background.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Applied through the university's career services website and received an interview through this system. Received a call from a Bain employee who walked me through a practice case interview one week before the on-campus interview.

Interview Question – Very difficult case. Would make sure to practice a variety of different cases beforehand.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Consultant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview Details – Pretty good, they were very nice and friendly. I interviewed on campus and I had 2 back to back rounds. Overall both interviewers were very nice and guided me through the cases.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. If you've cased before you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a position for summer associate in Brazil. Interviewers were really, really friendly. Almost no fit questions, basically a conversation where they were trying to genuinely talk about the stuff they care about and get to know you a little better.
I did bad in both cases and was not accepted. Cases were more difficult than the ones I had been practicing for.

Interview Question – An airline cost analysis which involved fixed and variable costs and had percentages of percentages.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Bain & Company

Interview Details – I applied to Bain through my university recruiting website. They took about a week to review my resume, and then offered me a first round interview. The interview had two back to back case interviews. They were a bit tricky, more qualitative than quantitative. I heard back from them in about a week.

Interview Question – You are asked to help the manager of a mining organization increase their profits, what are some costs of an operation like this and how can you mitigate them?   Answer Question

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!