Bain & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

First round interview on campus followed by final round elsewhere - did not advance to final round. applied online with a resume and cover letter and was contacted by their campus representative to set up the interview. Two standards cases for the first round, zero fit. You have to nail both cases to advance. You can't be passive, you really have to drive from beginning to end

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

two short interviews with both case and fit in the New York office, met with two younger consultants. Interview was mostly focused on case with about 5 min of fit

Interview Questions

• Typical Cases you might see in Case and Point....one market entry and one M&A....the cases were very multi faceted which made them more difficult   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through my university. I heard back a week later and had a week to prepare for my back-to-back interview. They were two 30-minute case interviews. The first 5 minutes of each had general questions like "Why consulting?" "Why Bain?" But the bulk of the interview was case interviews. First case was with a Junior Consultant, the second case was with a Senior Consultant. This was my first consulting interview, so I didn't really expect to get it... But the cases had way more math than I anticipated. The interviewers were really nice though and were good at helping you steer your way through the case without being dicks about it. I do think the Junior Consultant "helped" me too much though. He didn't give me any time to think it through, while the Senior Consultant gave me time and let me talk out my thoughts before steering me in a certain direction.

Interview Questions

• Should a telephone company charge per minute or per second?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bain & Company (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two case interviews on campus with associates from Bain. They were very helpful and friendly and mostly guided me through the interview. First case was on the groceries industry, and second was on used-phones. Quite esoteric, but not unfamiliar markets to a typical college student. The math required was not very demanding. Second round was with two analysts and a partner in the Bain SF office. The partner usually has the shortest and easiest case, but also asked a couple behavioral questions (Why Bain? What do you want to do in the future? What interests you? etc.)

Interview Questions

• A client in private equity is thinking of acquiring a IT security company (like McAfee). What would you recommend? Includes: Market-sizing of the IT security market, growth potential for the IT security market, evaluation of competition.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company in January 2015.

Interview

On Campus recruiting. Need to be very articulate right at the start, on which office and then connect with multiple (3 or more) persons from the office to get onto the closed list. I had 2 back to back case interviews with 2 managers.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Bain & Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Career Center website, college recruiting. I submitted a cover letter, resume, and transcript to my college recruiting website. Heard back about a week later for an interview. Cases were actually not too very difficult. Mine was done over Skype. Overall, interview process was very enjoyable. I was contacted the next day regarding the results of the interview. Feedback was given.

Interview Questions

• Personal questions on my resume for the first 10 minutes then a twenty minute case. 2 30 minute interviews back to back.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

The process was a two-round case interview, first on campus and then in the local office to which I applied. It required significant preparation, mental math agility, and being able to answer classic interview questions in a thorough manner. Many applicants do significant outreach and networking with the firm in advance, but I did not.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Two cases following the behavior questions. Very regular behavior questions like why consulting why your major. A bunch of handouts in the interviewer's hands. But I only got half of them to be given out. Regular profitability case. One with maths, one not. Very friendly interviewers.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bain & Company.

Interview

Interviewed through campus. case interview. interview was very nice and helpful, led me through questions. sent in application through campus recruiting. went to info sessions. invited to interview within a week of sending in resume. two rounds of case study questions. one of them you have to analyze graphs. great learning experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bain & Company (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Difficult but enjoyable, because you learned a lot through it. I stretched really hard to network as a student from non-target school. You just need to push yourself really hard, out of your comfort zone. Time after time, you'll find you have such a wide network. If you get the offer through networking, that's pretty rewarding.