Bain & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

3.8

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2014.

The Company recruited on-grounds at our MBA program (Darden). They came and made a presentation and then it was the student's jobs to get to know them after the presentation and get a few email addresses to follow up with people later. I did a poor job at the initial networking event but leveraged my linkedin network to get a few contacts at the company. Once you get contacts you have to set up a number of coffee chats and phone calls where you ask about the Company - questions like, "What is the typical day in the life of a consultant?" "What is the difference between Bain and some of the other top tier consulting firms?" etc. These calls and chats last about a half an hour and I did probably 8 of them. The goal is to get at least one consultant to be a champion for you (i.e., really like you) and 4 or 5 others to know who you are and like you, this way when you submit a resume and they all sit around and decide who to interview you are well known and you have a champion to push for the interview.

Interview
The first interview was on grounds and consisted of two 45 minute interviews both case questions. I'm not gonna talk much about case interviews, because if you google case interviews you will see nine million results all of which do a better job preparing you then I will in a paragraph. Suffice it to say that Bain allows interviewers to use cases that they have actually done in real life - thus I found it important to have a structured approach to the case but also to talk and ask questions about what actually happened (maybe even make a joke or two), as the interviewers seemed much more passionate about the interview and case question than say the McKinsey or BCG interviewers.

The second interview was at the Bain office. This consisted of three interviews 1 regular case, 1 written case , and 1 behavioral interview - all with partners. Case interview was pretty typical - maybe fewer numbers than a typical case (it seemed the partners were less interested in the can you do ridiculous math in your head types of questions). The written case was tough, they give you an hour (or so) to prepare it and then you basically have to present a series of power point slides (that you have pulled from charts already given to you or created on your own). I felt this was more about communication and presentation abilities than it was about what was in the case, but since they gave you an hour to prepare it there were some difficult math problems and some tricky insights I think they expected you to pull out. I made a few mistakes and the partner really grilled me, but I kept my cool and I think that was what was most important. The behavioral interview was basically me just listening to the partner talk.

Other Interview Reviews for Bain & Company

Summer Associate Interview

Heard of the position through the career services at my school. Was invited to a coffee chat to learn more about the firm. The first round interview was as expected and the interviewer mostly sat back and watched how you approached the case.

Interview Questions
    • What are the benefits of acquiring a slow growth company vs. a fast growing company? What about size of the company?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bain & Company.

round 1 two 45min case interviews - one bsic profitability case and one qualitative

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company.

fit & case interviews for 2 rounds. Second round included written case interview

Interview Questions
    • Written case interview (you are given 20+ slides of charts and 60 minutes to come to a solution, then present it to hiring partners/managers who will challenge your assumptions and analyses)   View Answer

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bain & Company.

On campus interview. Two 45-minute cases with 2 interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • One of the two cases was a little bit hard with several charts showing statistical curves.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

Received interview invitation 2 months after I submitted application. Two back-to-back case interviews. Interviewers are nice overall.

Summer Associate Interview

Submitted resume through my school's jobs portal, set up interview on-campus, did first round interview in my school's career center, did my second round interview in the Bain office I was applying to.

Interview Questions
    • Some obscure quant question - the more cases you practice, they better off you'll be.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

I interviewed off-campus for the Moscow office. First round: two back to back interviews with senior consultants. Both interviews were in English and exclusively case interviews with no fit or behavioral questions. First round cases with Bain are medium-to-high difficulty with abundance of charts. Thus try to be brief from the beginning as the saved time will be handy for getting insights from the charts. Be brief on charts as well.

Summer Associate Interview

Included two case interviews with two separate interviewers and some fit questions with both. One case was very qualitative, and the other more balanced quant with some brainstorming required.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with an ambiguous situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Bain & Company in January 2013.

Applied via campus. Was selected as an alternate. Only 2 employees showed up to do interviews, seemed very unhappy to be awake at 8:30am. No behavioral questions, only cases. First interview went well but was a very open-ended question "Should we keep our business open longer?" Second interview was a basic P&L case and was very easy. One interviewer told me that he loved working at Bain because he could goof off, and he didn't have to be as professional with clients as he expected he would be at other firms.

Interview Questions

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!