Baker Hughes

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer I

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in April 2014.

Interview Details – Recieved call from "Millitary Recruiter", I was not comfortable with the fact that she knew nothing of the military jargon. This is the person the website said would help to translate my experience into a career...not so much.

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in March 2013.

Interview Details – Lengthy and cut throat on campus interview, Second round is tough on location and you get next to no sleep and are tested constantly. It ends up being a very long weekend with tests and presentations all week.

Interview Question – long and short division   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation allowed

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Baker Hughes in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and took a couple of days to hear back from them. I received an email inviting me for a virtual interview. The virtual interview consisted of 9 sets of 2-5 behavioral questions focused on technical work or school experience. Now I am waiting for the BHE.

Interview Question – If you want to minimize the chance of messing up or freezing in front of the webcam, you can do what I did. Prepare a list of questions from other reviews in glassdoor for this position. Then just answer them based on your experiences (doing it in front of a mirror helps with your confidence). You may not get asked many of the questions you got ready for, but at least you get to explore your brain for good stories and tailor them to answer any question you did not expect coming.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call on Nov. 1 for the Field Engineer I position. It was about 30-45min interview. Some questions were : why do you want to join Baker Hughes?, what does a field engineer I do?, what other companies have you applied for?

The rest were behavioral questions which take up most of the interview, depending on how much you talk. The Human Resource representative was nice. They just want to get to know you.

Field Engineer I

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – Campus Interview: Met at campus career fair and had an interview on campus. The interview was straight forward behavioral questions.Baker Hughes

Emailed about a week later about the next couple months they would review application. One month later I was contacted for the Baker Hughes Experience(BHE) and given three days to respond.

Onsite: The BHE is three days. On first day you arrive you have dinner with managers and HR representatives and get to learn about Baker Hughes. The second day you will wake up early and go to their site. At the site they will get to know more about you through behavioral interactions with the other BHE attendees. Be prepared to get evaluated every second on the BHE. There was a thinking/ problem solving exam. Followed by a teamwork workshop and a small series of tests to see how you work under pressure and your skills. After that a tour was given and you returned back to the hotel to have dinner with the managers and HR representative. On the third day, you eat breakfast with the managers and HR representatives. Then you arrive and they gave ~45 mins to design a poster presentation in a group. After you present to the group and as a group speak to the managers and HR representatives. You then give evaluations and the process and the BHE ends. They call you the next morning to give you an answer on your application.

Interview Question – Campus Interview: What will be the daily life of a field engineer?   View Answers (5)

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2012.

Interview Details – First, I had a 1:1 interview at my school with a recruiter I had met at a career fair on campus. A few weeks later, I got a phone call saying I had "passed" the first round and was invited to the Baker Hughes Experience (BHE) in Houston, Texas. I went in January 2012. It was a grueling mix of group work, hands-on mini tests, and listening/learning about what a career at Baker Hughes means. We were encouraged to talk to all the current Baker Hughes employees about their product line and their experience with the company. Overall, the entire 1.5 days was exhausting and extremely interesting. They gave us a chance on the last day to leave if we felt the company wasn't a good fit and that's what I ended up doing.

Interview Question – Are you okay with working 2-4 days straight?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in December 2011.

Interview Details – In one word: Thorough. I thought that BH went the extra mile in presenting themselves to us. I am so thankful to have been able to be a part of this Baker Hughes Experience. At Baker Hughes, you can expect to be given an opportunity to do much, and demanded to do much in return. They do a wonderful job in making the recruitment process as personal as possible, and that definitely shows the commitment they have in their future employees.

Basically they put us through various cases of real-life situations. As a group we had to work through a case study and propose a solution to a very difficult situation. They gave a thorough description of the career path they make available to their new hires.

Overall, very pleased with this experience.

Bryan, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in September 2011.

Interview Details – Attended Career fair at university, had 1-1 interview at career services..then they said they would forward all the information to Houston HQ. received an email in 3 days asking me to attend Baker Hughes Experience in houston..Their agency book the tickets for us when u call and give them the information.. We stayed at a very nice hotel-Sheraton...We reached on wednesday evening and had a social and dinner. various product line managers and staffing agents are there..,.You are very encouraged to speak to all of them in various available opportunities and learn regarding the products and our role as field engineers. They hire all engineers as field engineers only because we get to learn and have hands-on-experience b4 we further move on.,.,...I really liked the concept..there will be 3 year LEAD program where you have to complete it in 3 years with each year having required training classes and hands-on experience is required..

Thursday morning, we meet arnd 6.30am and introduce ourselves to everyone n vice versa..we then went to baker atlas wireline and saw the wireline facility and ,met a couple of FE's there. later we go to the education centre and have lunch and then learn about the products from various managers -power point presentations. Then we perform some viscosity tests after a demo(v r supplied manuals) and detach and attach a machine...
later we go to hotel and do a 25 minute case study in group and express our views and have the question-answer for 5 minutes. later we go to dinner and after that, we are given some questions and are needed to creative in answering those questions. this is in team and they look more for creativity and new ideas than regular ppt. we worked till 2am and then met around 5.30 am to revise...this is a good assessment since it also gives us an idea what it would be like on-call as FE's...they also give us the locations and positions available. we have to give our choice from 1-3 and also select our priority --if location or position is
important to us.

v used some pictures for ppt and made it like discussion. other teams did very well than us...then we again have the question & answer for 5-10 minutes. We have to speak and be very active ball the time..they try to check the weakest link all the time...then we get a break for 1-1.5 hrs...we all checked out and then we all have panel interviews....all candidates sit lined up in front of all product managers. the product managers interested will ask us questions..an candidate will averagely answer 1-3 questions. these are mostly behavioral questions. then we break for lunch and have 1.5 hr break.,.. then if selected , we will be given offers and the Hr stuff like benefits, etc there itself.

I would strongly recommend to check the information about field engineers position and then apply. this is not a regular 8-5 job. U are on call on saturday and sunday. U have to go to site at any time u get a call...there may be trainings for 2-6 months depending on the product line. They do spend a lot on us even for the BHE..So think of all aspects and then decide.

21 of us went and 18 got hired as FE's...I had a great experience ....I have been hired and waiting for the offer letter .... I am 99% positive of joining BH after graduating in December 2011.

Interview Questions

• Which position do you think you would fit well-- Field engineer or research engineer??   Answer Question
  • What would you expect in your job??   Answer Question
  • If you were one of us and if there is only one field engineer position available, who would you hire and why??   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiations....

Field Engineer I

I applied online and interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – first is the telephone interview. Once you pass this, you will be required to take the English global test. Depending on your scores and the telephone interview, you will be invited to the Baker Hughes experience. This involves personal interviews and group activities. Questions and activities given are all discussed in detail on the web. Check this and you should be fine.

Interview Question – Check online. Most will be the same   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by an HR rep to schedule for a phone interview. 4 days later was called up and was interviewed for roughly 30 minutes. Quite straightforward questions, which they told you to prepare on (explained in the email). 3 days later, was told I passed and was required to do an English test online.

2 days after that, another email came in to invite me to Kuala Lumpur for the Baker Hughes Experience, to be held the following week for 2 days. They sorted out my ticket and flew off to the hotel where the assessment was carried out.

1st day was not much. Self-introduction and short briefings done by the employees. The 2nd day started at 6 am and lasted all the way until 5pm. It was exhausting.

Activities were:
-Group activity
-HSE Assessment (written test)
-Logical Assessment (written test)
-Technical Assessment (practical)
- Group debate
-Group presentation

At the end, we had to wait outside while the managers had a meeting. Then one by one was called in and told whether they got the job or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable. Standard package for Graduates.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Baker Hughes

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes Field Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees and interview candidates.