Baker Hughes

Getting the Interview

182 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in September 2013.

Interview Details – Most of what I can say about this interview process has already been said on this site. I attended the career fair at my school and was signed up for an on-campus interview two weeks later. The interview was conducted by a recent alumni, and lasted for an hour. My interviewer asked a few of the questions on his piece of paper, but mostly he wanted to get to know me personally to judge my character. He took my resume and said he would pass it along to his boss to try and get me in on the sales side over field engineering because it was a better fit for my personality.

About three weeks to a month later, I received an email inviting me to the Baker Hughes Experience (BHE) in Houston. The email comes very unexpectedly and you are expected to make a decision about the BHE very quickly, and then attend it with not many days to prepare (at least that's how quickly mine happened). The BHE lasts three days and two nights.

At the BHE, the first day you check into the hotel, get dinner with the different hiring managers and candidates, listen to some presentations and then go to the hotel bar afterwards. The key to this night is to really just meet everyone, hiring managers and candidates, and be very social. Ask knowledgeable questions, definitely go sit down at the bar and have a couple drinks, but don't get sloppy. I would recommend showing some responsibility and going to bed at a decent hour because the next day is extremely long. When you go back to your room research the product lines each hiring manager is representing.

For the second day, you take off to a Houston office on a charter bus. Get some coffee in you before / during the bus ride and prepare to be social. Try and sit near a hiring manager and ask questions about their product line as well as being social with other candidates. This entire experience is how well you can interact with others. You will eat breakfast and lunch at the office accompanied with several activities and a tour. These activities included: Names/Hometowns/Interesting facts, group case study positions by choice of four different actions to a case and an opportunity to defend your option, mayan numerals test, case study test, some basic engineering tests, and a team oil rig construction activity. Take notes on everything and everyone. Drink even more coffee to stay alert throughout the day because there are some dull parts. Remember you are constantly being evaluated. After all of these things have occurred, you will depart back to the hotel to prepare for dinner. Dinner is the same as the night before, sit with a hiring manager and ask questions. There is a panel interview that lasts about 10 minutes per candidate after dinner. Very generic interview questions that you have probably already heard at this point. Go to the bar afterwards and have a few drinks, be responsible and go to bed at a decent hour. When I say decent hour plan on getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep haha.

The third and final day is only for the morning. You have to perform a skit on how a hiring manager would market BHI to a new student and incorporate the company values and basically everything you have learned over the last couple days. Be creative and funny. Stick around and eat lunch if you have a later flight.

My advice: Be yourself for this, it is a really down to earth experience. Don't overdress this event, if the email says business casual (as mine did), don't show up in a suit, you'll be the only one. Be as social as you can and drink a lot of coffee. I probably had four cups on the second day to stay alert the entire time because you really don't get much sleep, which is a culture for this job. Don't drink too much at the bar, and don't leave the hotel to go to another bar, but you should definitely stay up and drink with the managers at the bar for a few rounds. If you don't drink alcohol, just drink a coke or something, but be at the bar to socialize. Lastly, remember that you are constantly being evaluated from the time you step foot in the hotel until you leave it on the last day.

Interview Question – Very generic interview questions at the BHE. You can find them all in Google.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You receive a phone call the following Monday whether you are accepted or declined, which I liked because it was about a two day turn-around. The official offer is emailed to you the following Friday. You have a week to accept it, and if you wish to negotiate you must contact them as to why. I accepted mine instantly because it was higher than any other company had given me so they really didn't have any competition.

Interviewed at Baker Hughes

Interview Details – Although most interviews are either in person or on the phone, Baker Hughes has a new way of interviewing where you are asked to videotape yourself (similar to using skype) and answer the questions they had. It is an extremely awkward way to interview and is very unsettling. They asked typical questions, however you were only allowed to answer each question once.

Interview Question – They did not ask any technical questions only behavioral ones.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Baker Hughes

Interview Details – Not too bad. Everything that the others stated is pretty accurate.

Interview Question – BHE was quite intense. At this point it's all about YOU.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2014.

Interview Details – I attending BHE last week. The interview process was not different from what the others have said here. However, if you are not a white male then don't bother attending the event because you will not an offer.

Interview Question – Average difficulty, just read the reviews here.   View Answers (2)

Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Baker Hughes in December 2013.

Interview Details – The initial "Phone Screen" was a little weird at first but the interviewer was personable and made the conversation/interview comfortable. She asked general behavioral interview questions that related to your undergraduate and real life experiences. I have yet to hear back after 2 weeks due to it now being the winter holiday season and as the interviewer said, many hiring managers were out of town.

Interview Question – When was a time you experienced failure? What did you do to solve the problem and what did you learn from the situation?   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen interview, basic behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What was your biggest mistake and what did you learn from it   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Interview Details – The company flew around 30 people out to Houston, TX. My flight was around 1400 dollars so I was sure to get the job due to the company spending so much money. Well it was obvious that they were looking for a white male to work for them. A few of the managers there showed no interest in me. I would smile, speak, as questions and they showed no interest.

Interview Question – No unexpected question. Everything that the others wrote is valid. There is a test about mayan numbers. We did not how to know all the managers name nor tested on it. We were not able to choose our top 3 product lines thou.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, contacted me by email requesting a phone screen interview. Called back, set up the interview and got asked 4 behavioral questions. The fact of not having an internship, really took a toll on me. This company is really interested in people who have had experience in the oilfield.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time in your life or work, that you encounter a technical problem, how you solved it? and what did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – The interview process is like what many of the others have described. The first was phone, simple behavioral questions then a fly down to Houston to their facility and assessments. It was kind of boring (the tour), since I don't need to be seeing a mass balance (what does it show me about the company?). 3 45-minute assessments, just stay calm as you go through them. They are pretty easy.

On the first night, we had a quiz. I knew most of the answers, but I have a tendency to cross things out a lot so when I turned in the quiz they probably thought I got everything wrong (this happened to a few others also) [quiz was taken in pen they provided you with, so do not cross stuff out or do not fill stuff out because they will give you the answers BEFORE they collect it so you can fill it out]. The lady who was taking care of the logistics was kind of out of the zone and didn't seem to listen very much (I went to ask if I include a certain thing from an ID and she gave me a glare and made an announcement telling people "it's not that hard" (and she still didn't answer the dang gone question).

There were 12 hiring managers,and I did everything I can to show interest. Looks like it's an all white male [engineer] company, and they want to keep it that way. Well, to be fair, there was a manager there who looked 1/4 hispanic.

Interview Question – The mayan numerals, lol what?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through Career Center and on Baker Hughes' website. Got a call a few weeks later to set up an HR phone interview. Phone interview was awkward and the interviewer gave me another woman's email address who I had never spoken to so I could not easily follow up or thank interviewer. Expected to be rejected after phone interview, but surprisingly wasn't. Flew to Houston for 3 day "Baker Hughes Experience" which is a series or team-work and technical assessments. You need to find a way to interact with the hiring managers as much as possible if you want an offer. Research product lines before hand in an attempt to understand them or at least ask intelligent questions. The only true "interview" was a 10 minute panel interview where they ask 3 very basic questions and if you have done any research or paid attention during the BHE you should have no trouble. By the end of the 2nd day you should have a sense of whether you will get an offer or not. You need to make sure the hiring managers know you and like you. It seems like this matters more than the technical assessments.

Interview Question – None. They really don't "interview" you. Do research on the product lines. It will be really difficult to understand them, but having some basic idea of what they are will make a positive impression on hiring managers   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Baker Hughes

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes Field Engineer interview questions and advice. All 182 interview reviews posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees and interview candidates.