Baker Hughes

Average Difficulty
194 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2014.

Interview Details – Pone interview about 7 behavioral questions: 5 questions on the "tell me a time when type" base and give 3 reasons of why should we hire you. The interview was last about 35 minutes. She said at the beginning of the interview that she will not repeat a question so make sure you are ready to take note befor when the phone interview start.

Interview Question – tell me a time when you were behind a project.   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Baker Hughes in April 2014.

Interview Details – Had a video interview. Majorly general attitude test kind of questions. nothing technical. just as what everybody says, "Tell me the toughest situation you faced " kinda questions. So just try to be calm and collected. attend with a fresh mind and also do practise the test interview few times. each question had 5 minutes and i had 8 questions.

Interview Question – nothing technical. be casual calm and collected. everything is related to how u handled various situations.   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – had an interview a month ago, just typical behavioral questions. asked about previous experiences in a team and how we handled a difficulty. how I used my knowledge to help my team members to overcome that situation.

Interview Question – the questions were basically the same, so it was really confusing that they were kinda repeating themselves.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in April 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online. There was initialy a telephone interview after a couple weeks with a Human Resouces person and 3 weeks later there was a second interview face to face with technical personnel, after it a salary proposal that I accepted, medical exams and ready.

Interview Question – Why should we hire to you?   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – First interview was with two people. One was an engineering manager, the other was a woman from HR. They are definitely looking for someone who knows about their company. I recommend attending any information sessions they have if you want to be taken seriously. Questions were typical HR questions such as "tell me about time you had to make a decision quickly", "tell me about a time when you had to contribute to a group", "tell me about a time when you were given a very difficult task". The interview is very structured. There was very little chitchat and it felt a lot like being given a quiz. If you make it past the first round during the fall, you're sure to be given the opportunity to undergo the "Baker Hughes Experience". This includes going to Houston for second round evaluation of skills, professionalism, and teamwork abilities. It's quite a lot to go through for a job at a service company. Some people get hired this way, others I know simply got picked up by Baker Hughes randomly later on. One of the better service companies. You can definitely turn it into a job with a good interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with someone in a group or with whom you were working. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in September 2013.

Interview Details – Most of what I can say about this interview process has already been said on this site. I attended the career fair at my school and was signed up for an on-campus interview two weeks later. The interview was conducted by a recent alumni, and lasted for an hour. My interviewer asked a few of the questions on his piece of paper, but mostly he wanted to get to know me personally to judge my character. He took my resume and said he would pass it along to his boss to try and get me in on the sales side over field engineering because it was a better fit for my personality.

About three weeks to a month later, I received an email inviting me to the Baker Hughes Experience (BHE) in Houston. The email comes very unexpectedly and you are expected to make a decision about the BHE very quickly, and then attend it with not many days to prepare (at least that's how quickly mine happened). The BHE lasts three days and two nights.

At the BHE, the first day you check into the hotel, get dinner with the different hiring managers and candidates, listen to some presentations and then go to the hotel bar afterwards. The key to this night is to really just meet everyone, hiring managers and candidates, and be very social. Ask knowledgeable questions, definitely go sit down at the bar and have a couple drinks, but don't get sloppy. I would recommend showing some responsibility and going to bed at a decent hour because the next day is extremely long. When you go back to your room research the product lines each hiring manager is representing.

For the second day, you take off to a Houston office on a charter bus. Get some coffee in you before / during the bus ride and prepare to be social. Try and sit near a hiring manager and ask questions about their product line as well as being social with other candidates. This entire experience is how well you can interact with others. You will eat breakfast and lunch at the office accompanied with several activities and a tour. These activities included: Names/Hometowns/Interesting facts, group case study positions by choice of four different actions to a case and an opportunity to defend your option, mayan numerals test, case study test, some basic engineering tests, and a team oil rig construction activity. Take notes on everything and everyone. Drink even more coffee to stay alert throughout the day because there are some dull parts. Remember you are constantly being evaluated. After all of these things have occurred, you will depart back to the hotel to prepare for dinner. Dinner is the same as the night before, sit with a hiring manager and ask questions. There is a panel interview that lasts about 10 minutes per candidate after dinner. Very generic interview questions that you have probably already heard at this point. Go to the bar afterwards and have a few drinks, be responsible and go to bed at a decent hour. When I say decent hour plan on getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep haha.

The third and final day is only for the morning. You have to perform a skit on how a hiring manager would market BHI to a new student and incorporate the company values and basically everything you have learned over the last couple days. Be creative and funny. Stick around and eat lunch if you have a later flight.

My advice: Be yourself for this, it is a really down to earth experience. Don't overdress this event, if the email says business casual (as mine did), don't show up in a suit, you'll be the only one. Be as social as you can and drink a lot of coffee. I probably had four cups on the second day to stay alert the entire time because you really don't get much sleep, which is a culture for this job. Don't drink too much at the bar, and don't leave the hotel to go to another bar, but you should definitely stay up and drink with the managers at the bar for a few rounds. If you don't drink alcohol, just drink a coke or something, but be at the bar to socialize. Lastly, remember that you are constantly being evaluated from the time you step foot in the hotel until you leave it on the last day.

Interview Question – Very generic interview questions at the BHE. You can find them all in Google.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You receive a phone call the following Monday whether you are accepted or declined, which I liked because it was about a two day turn-around. The official offer is emailed to you the following Friday. You have a week to accept it, and if you wish to negotiate you must contact them as to why. I accepted mine instantly because it was higher than any other company had given me so they really didn't have any competition.

Interviewed at Baker Hughes

Interview Details – Although most interviews are either in person or on the phone, Baker Hughes has a new way of interviewing where you are asked to videotape yourself (similar to using skype) and answer the questions they had. It is an extremely awkward way to interview and is very unsettling. They asked typical questions, however you were only allowed to answer each question once.

Interview Question – They did not ask any technical questions only behavioral ones.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Baker Hughes

Interview Details – Not too bad. Everything that the others stated is pretty accurate.

Interview Question – BHE was quite intense. At this point it's all about YOU.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2014.

Interview Details – I attending BHE last week. The interview process was not different from what the others have said here. However, if you are not a white male then don't bother attending the event because you will not an offer.

Interview Question – Average difficulty, just read the reviews here.   View Answers (2)

Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Baker Hughes in December 2013.

Interview Details – The initial "Phone Screen" was a little weird at first but the interviewer was personable and made the conversation/interview comfortable. She asked general behavioral interview questions that related to your undergraduate and real life experiences. I have yet to hear back after 2 weeks due to it now being the winter holiday season and as the interviewer said, many hiring managers were out of town.

Interview Question – When was a time you experienced failure? What did you do to solve the problem and what did you learn from the situation?   Answer Question

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!