Baker Hughes

Average Difficulty
194 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen interview, basic behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What was your biggest mistake and what did you learn from it   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in November 2013.

Interview Details – The company flew around 30 people out to Houston, TX. My flight was around 1400 dollars so I was sure to get the job due to the company spending so much money. Well it was obvious that they were looking for a white male to work for them. A few of the managers there showed no interest in me. I would smile, speak, as questions and they showed no interest.

Interview Question – No unexpected question. Everything that the others wrote is valid. There is a test about mayan numbers. We did not how to know all the managers name nor tested on it. We were not able to choose our top 3 product lines thou.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, contacted me by email requesting a phone screen interview. Called back, set up the interview and got asked 4 behavioral questions. The fact of not having an internship, really took a toll on me. This company is really interested in people who have had experience in the oilfield.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time in your life or work, that you encounter a technical problem, how you solved it? and what did you learn from that experience?   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – The interview process is like what many of the others have described. The first was phone, simple behavioral questions then a fly down to Houston to their facility and assessments. It was kind of boring (the tour), since I don't need to be seeing a mass balance (what does it show me about the company?). 3 45-minute assessments, just stay calm as you go through them. They are pretty easy.

On the first night, we had a quiz. I knew most of the answers, but I have a tendency to cross things out a lot so when I turned in the quiz they probably thought I got everything wrong (this happened to a few others also) [quiz was taken in pen they provided you with, so do not cross stuff out or do not fill stuff out because they will give you the answers BEFORE they collect it so you can fill it out]. The lady who was taking care of the logistics was kind of out of the zone and didn't seem to listen very much (I went to ask if I include a certain thing from an ID and she gave me a glare and made an announcement telling people "it's not that hard" (and she still didn't answer the dang gone question).

There were 12 hiring managers,and I did everything I can to show interest. Looks like it's an all white male [engineer] company, and they want to keep it that way. Well, to be fair, there was a manager there who looked 1/4 hispanic.

Interview Question – The mayan numerals, lol what?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through Career Center and on Baker Hughes' website. Got a call a few weeks later to set up an HR phone interview. Phone interview was awkward and the interviewer gave me another woman's email address who I had never spoken to so I could not easily follow up or thank interviewer. Expected to be rejected after phone interview, but surprisingly wasn't. Flew to Houston for 3 day "Baker Hughes Experience" which is a series or team-work and technical assessments. You need to find a way to interact with the hiring managers as much as possible if you want an offer. Research product lines before hand in an attempt to understand them or at least ask intelligent questions. The only true "interview" was a 10 minute panel interview where they ask 3 very basic questions and if you have done any research or paid attention during the BHE you should have no trouble. By the end of the 2nd day you should have a sense of whether you will get an offer or not. You need to make sure the hiring managers know you and like you. It seems like this matters more than the technical assessments.

Interview Question – None. They really don't "interview" you. Do research on the product lines. It will be really difficult to understand them, but having some basic idea of what they are will make a positive impression on hiring managers   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2013.

Interview Details – Initial 15 min interview on university campus with basic questions and 4 behavioral questions. Then invited to 3 day and 2 night event in Houston for Baker Hughes Experience. Long series of meeting manager and employees, exams, tests, and info sessions, and is a long process. 3 exams- logic/mathematics, case study, and hands-on. Series of behavior group questions and debates.

Interview Question – Given 10 mins to take apart and reassemble oil field tool with missing parts. No instructions given to goal, so you must come to your own conclusion that you must take it apart and assemble with missing pieces   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 1 week accept or decline offer

Field Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – Went through my university's career services office to apply for this position. We have a career fair every fall, lots of companies show up. Had to apply both through my school, and Baker Hughes' job application as well. It was a very basic application. Heard from a recruiter asking for a phone interview about 2 days after I posted my applications. Just confirmed basic info on my resume, then asked 3 questions: what was your biggest mistake, and what did you learn from it, a time you had to step up as a leader, and what did you learn from it, what was something you learned in school and were able to apply.

Got an email 10 days later, getting an invite to the 2nd round, in-person interview. I had 2 days to accept the interview and arrange travel through Baker Hughes' agent, to Houston the next week. Flew into Houston, (business casual dress for the first day) and we had a meet and greet, followed by a dinner/presentations given by the hiring managers there. The group of interviewees was about 30, with like 10 people there for interviewing/hiring. The hiring managers left the dinner, and we had a quiz about the names of the product lines in Baker, name of the CEO, and the history of the company. So read up on Baker Hughes, take notes during the presentations. They'll be seeing if you are paying attention. After that, we were told to go do as we please (it was about 10pm at this point); told to be in the lobby of the hotel ready to go at 6am.

They fed us breakfast. We had an icebreaker game, where they asked us to make a simple "coat-of-arms" about ourselves, write down an interesting fact, an adjective that describes you starting w/ the first letter of your first name, then degree, school, etc. We then present those to the group.

We do a team-building exercise; rig-building.

They gave us a tour of all the labs, and then we had this discussion panel. They give us ethics prompts with 4 answers, and we all show our answers to the group. Then it turns into a free-for-all discussion until the organizer stops it. I don't fully remember the questions; I think one of the other glassdoor interview reviews had them, and they were the same.

Each of the product line managers gives presentation on their stuff, during this we eat some lunch. After that, we had a set of 3, 45- minute assessments. One was we were given instructions on how to use mayan numerals (a base-20 system) and we were asked to do different basic math operations with it. We were then given a poorly written safety case-study, and asked poorly worded questions. After that was a set of hands on tasks. We sit in front of a different hiring manager, and do a different task (use calipers to measure things indicated on a chart on a physical part, pH testing, assemble a couple random oilfield parts using bad directions, use a multimeter, read resistor I.D. stripes that are kind of worn). After you complete the each little physical task they give you a couple minutes to talk to the hiring manager in front of you. Definitely talk to them. I can't reiterate that enough. They really want a chance to get to know their possible candidates, so give them that chance, and they want to see that you are really genuinely curious and interested in the jobs available. They also want to see that you're a real person too. It is an interview during all this, but be comfortable with yourself.

Drive back to the sheraton, and we have some dinner. They ask us what we like and don't like about the interview process so far. After this activity, individual applicants meet with a panel, they ask why you're a good fit for field engineer, what you're hesitant or nervous about in the position; basic interview questions, nothing too strange. Then we are let out.

(6am wake-up again). We go have the breakfast buffet, and then we have a presentation activity. We are given 30-minutes to come up with a presentation/skit about what we present to possible applicants for the Baker Hughes field engineer position. I know there's a BHE blog that told everyone to do a skit that has you pretending you are running a booth at a career fair; that's what every group did. It was painful to watch. They ask you to be creative, so please actually be creative, for your own sake. If you're a leader-type, this is your time to shine during the brainstorming and organizing part of this. After your group presents, the hiring managers have the whole room leave, and they ask you to rate your performance, what you did to contribute/perform, and how you felt the group did. This is repeated for each group. De-briefing happens, we're told they will decide applicants right after, and we'll get a yes-or-no offer phone call on Monday.

Biggest word of advice I can extend: talk to the interviewing people! Get to know them. They're going to be hiring you, they're going to be your co-workers, and they know so much about the type of product lines and locations you can work for.

Interview Question – The safety case study was the most abstract activity part of this.   View Answers (2)

Field Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview, not very hard, the representative sounds nice.

Interview Question – Tell about a time you applied your skills to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

Interview Details – Met at a career fair, presented myself, got called for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited to the BHE in houston. 2 and a half day event, all you're really doing is presenting yourself to hiring managers. Got a phone call the evening of the last day of the BHE offering me a job.

Interview Question – "What are your fears of being a field engineer?" all questions are behavioral based.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – On campus behavioral interview then invited to the Baker Hughes Experience which you can read all about here or other google results. Seriously just talk to the managers, I didn't do great on the evaluations but I made sure all the managers knew me and it worked all right. If you really need a job, find a manager or two you get along with, dedicate yourself to those product lines, ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS, and if you really want one, find out where nobody wants to go and request that area. Have a beer or two with them if they're in the bar but don't be an idiot.

Interview Question – weirdest part was prolly the ethics and safety case study test things.   Answer Question