Baker Hughes

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer Interview

Field Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call and set up a phone interview. The questions were behavioral and technical. Nothing too difficult. The Baker Hughes experience was a little more involved. Had to take several assesments. One included building an offshore oil rig with school supplies. Try to stay as relaxed as possible and be outspoken. Interact with the hiring managers as much as you can.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you had difficulties with a team member and what you learned from the experience.   Answer Question

Field Engineer - LEAD Program Interview

Field Engineer - LEAD Program
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2013.

Interview Details – First phase included a standard phone interview. Standard behavioral questions regarding leadership/problem solving (no riddles or technical questions). If you've been to an interview before for an engineering company, you should be ready. Remember to always use the STAR method to speak about your experiences fully.

*Note, remember to follow up via phone because apparently they were e-mailing me but I didn't receive anything...so thank goodness I had their phone number.

Followed-up with recruiter to find out that they sent me an invite to BHE which I didn't receive...but they were able to reschedule it (thank goodness). This happened about 2 weeks after my interview but I found out a month later when I called to follow-up.

Next phase, got flown to Houston, TX to the headquarters. As everyone else has mentioned, it is the BHE interview where you are there for 2 days and 3 nights. Many assessments, and team activities to assess your individual/group contribution. First night is basic presentations, and dinner. Remember to ask questions on the first night because that's a good way to get noticed and show interest in the company early on. Second day is PACKED with activities and presentations so be ready for a long day -- most of the assessments will be done on this day. Be sure to speak with hiring manager from the product line to get noticed. After a panel interview at the end of the day, you will be dismissed to bed. Third day is pretty much just in the morning..there will be a final assessment presentation type of deal, again focusing on teamwork and contribution. After this you will give your preference in terms of product lines/locations.

Overall BHE is a great program (despite the lack of a field trip to an actual oil rig..but that's close to impossible to ask) to assess an individual to see if they are qualified to work at BH. Just be engaged, socialize (with mostly the hiring managers but the candidates too!), be yourself, and hope for the best.

As they mentioned, they're looking for honest and hardworking people. So don't try to suck up and ask every question about the technology they have -- they want to know that you'll fit into working as a team member with the current group as well so personality is another big factor.

I'm not sure how many people got hired but from my understanding there were about 30 candidates and 10 open positions (in various product lines).

Good luck to everyone going through this process! I will be working for BH soon.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working for Baker Hughes as a field engineer?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation -- deal was much more than what a competitor company offered me back in December so I was happy with the offer.

Very Easy Interview

Commercial Project Manager Interview

Commercial Project Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very simple taking into account my previous experience. If BHI sees the need, it will employ you right away. My current job is a mixture of things I used to do in the past in two previous positions.

Interview Question – In my case everything went very smoothly. Nothing surprising   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Field Engineer- Field Engineer Development Program (FEDP) Interview

Graduate Field Engineer- Field Engineer Development Program (FEDP)
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – Applied in January. Heard nothing until I attended a RIGZONE virtual career fair in about March and chatted online with a BH rep. About two weeks later I had a phone screen, and about a month later I was invited to the Baker Hughes Experience in Houston.

The Baker Hughes Experience is fun. Don't worry about that if you like solving puzzles, presenting, doing groupwork, and stuff like that.

Now, here is the important part:

Baker did not tell us, UNTIL WE WERE IN TEXAS AT THE BH EXPERIENCE EVENT, that they were only hiring for two product lines, and that you are immediately tied to a product line upon accepting an offer into the FEDP role. You then must spend three years NOT in a rotational position living in the geographic area where you'll work, cut off from everything else. Furthermore, it is impossible to change product lines once you're in- if they assign you "Artificial Lift in Midland TX," then that means that you have to live in Midland TX and do artificial lift for your career, take it or leave it.

This is in complete opposition to what my recruiter on the phone screen told me. According to him, specialties are not assigned immediately and you rotate during the development program. This is not correct.

I was not interested in either of the two product lines that Baker Hughes decided to hire us for, and was caught very much by surprise that they would withhold this critical information until the first day of the interview.

Also at the event, Baker explained the development program. The "training" is really only a few seminar-type classes that last a couple days- doesn't seem to be very valuable or useful. Just go to YouTube and google "Hydraulic Fracturing."

The "project" in your third year as an FEDP is just a two-week period in which you think about and propose something. Seemed very mundane and looked as though Baker is trying to get credit for "being innovative, spurring though" without actually doing much.

I communicated the fact that I was not interested in either of the product lines that Baker waited to inform me they were hiring for, and, of course, did not get an offer. I think I dodged a bullet though because it did not seem to me through my experience that Baker is a high accountability, high performance organization that invests in its people and is honest and upfront.

Interview Question – Don't worry about this. Just be yourself, they ask you so many questions during the two days that if you flub up on one or two it's no big deal.   Answer Question

Junior Field Engineer Interview

Junior Field Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in April 2011.

Interview Details – Baker Hughes Experience (BHE) is described in several other posts, in my particular case I was also interviewed by my managers before the BHE. It's not that the process is overly difficult, it's just very involved and you are constantly in interview mode for 2 straight days. Even the bus ride was an interview session.

Interview Question – The questions part of the BHE is all BDI, the difficult part of the BHE is staying up all night making a presentation you need to deliver the next morning at 6 am.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they have set rates for JFEs

Industrial Engineer Interview

Industrial Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied directly through their careers website. Got a call after a month. First it was a informal Hr round on the phone. Then they had a techincal round on the phone again. Asked about my resume and past experience. It lasted for about an hour. Not very tough though. It was good. After 3 days they made an offer.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Be good with your resume   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2012.

Interview Details – attend the baker hughes experiance. Very competitive and difficult to receive an offer. Not a good place to start if you are a sophomore or have a lack of work experience. However it is a great company if you are able to get the internship. However I do not recommend this if you have no previous work experience as you will probably not get an offer.

Interview Question – presentation about yourself and what you can bring to the company infront of all other 30 intern applicants and upper level management.   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Engineer Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in March 2013.

Interview Details – There is phone interview first, the HR ask some behavior questions. An onsite interview afterward, you'll do a presentation about yourself and a group case study. You'll have breakfast and lunch with the managers too. Don't forget how you talk in the meal is part of the interview too.

Interview Question – engineering degisn in the group study   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Software Tester
Houston, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview Details – Had 3 rounds of interviews. 2 telephonic and 1 in person interview.
The interviews were good and simple. Even the interviewer was friendly.
But 3 days, after presenting the offer, then said they don't sponsor visa, so they won't be able to proceed further.

Interview Question – All the questions were simple and general ones. No behavioral questions. Only technical.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer III Interview

Electrical Engineer III
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in December 2012.

Interview Details – After my first interview I was selected for a second and final round interview in Houston, Texas. I was one of 15 selected. The second round interview was a 3 day event. The first day was a network event followed by a test on Myan mathematics, we had to learn the rules of the Myan number system and then do math with it. The next day consisted of an overview of the company and their business as well as meeting with hiring managers. There was a difficult case study on drilling where groups of three would be given 1 hour to asses a case and explain what engineering methods and steps were taken to meet their constraints. The final day consisted of a tour, powerpoint presentation and a series of hand on experiements: assembling mechanical parts, chemical tests, electical analysis etc...We were all told that we would be contacted within days to see if we got an offer or not. I was never contacted, was not given an offer or rejection. After several unanswered e-mails inquiring about my status I stopped contacting Bake Hughes, it was very unprofessinal of them to at least not give me a rejection letter.

Interview Question – The group project on the engineering case study.   Answer Question