Baker Hughes

3.1

141 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Research, Design & Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

Met recruiter at career fair and followed up with email... got link to a one way online interview (answer prerecorded questions via web cam). Simple behavioral questions, but generally too long to answer in 3 minutes example, tell me of a time you had you did not meet deadline, what was situation, what deadline missed, what happened, conclusions, what did you learn, what would you do differently next time.

Note after question is asked, you get 30 seconds to think and then respond. also you can pause/break or some time (1 or 2 minutes) between questions, that is right after you answer a question but before you click to view the next one.

Do the practice questions to get a better understanding of what to expect, you can do as many as you want anyways, you will get different ones during the interview.

Senior Buyer/Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

I received an email that Baker Hughes recruiter had been trying to contact me about my application. I returned their call and they scheduled a phone interview. I had my phone interview which was fairly straight forward and simple then another one of their recruiting managers scheduled my face to face interview with the hiring manager. I was then contacted by the hiring manager to schedule the interview himself, I met with him and the two other managers involved with the position for a panel face to face interview. Questions were in-depth and detailed but overall not a bad experience. All managers were friendly and professional.

Interview Questions
    • How would I be a good fit for a planner position.   View Answer

Graduate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in October 2014.

Digital Interview Process. They recorded the questions and you record your answers via an application. You have 30 seconds before answering and 3 mins to answer each questions. There were 9 questions in total, 3 of them were conventional interview questions. Those 3 questions were: "Why would you be a good fit for this job?", "Why should we hire you?", "Do you want to add something about yourself/ or do you have any questions?" It takes 20-30 mins. Focus on behavioral questions. One of them was similar to this: "Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your coworker, what was the situation?, what did you do to solve the problem?, what was the result?, would you handle it differently now?".

Interview Questions
    • There were many behavioral interview questions. They were not difficult but I did not expect that many behavioral questions. Questions were in the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) format. For instance, they asked "How can you handle different tasks at the same time if you have limited budget and time? Give an example from your experience. Did you need additional assistance for the task?" etc.   Answer Question

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in September 2014.

Impersonal HireView video where you answer prerecorded questions which are exactly like those that have been posted. 10 questions. If they like your recorded interview, they'll fly you to the Baker Hughes Experience (they accept 2% of their interviewed applicants). At this point, you still don't have the job. You go through 2 days of grueling tests and activities that will take you out of your element. Prepare to be very assertive, and prepare to go on a really bad week (I had 4 exams to take right after the event). You go to a beautiful hotel and you are fed steak, chicken, fish, and really good breakfast; you eat like a kings. Use the time wisely to mingle with the hiring managers, and know something about the product lines. Petroleum engineers will have a strong advantage, but only ONE of the petroleum engineers with us was hired. There were 16 engineering students; chemical, petroleum, mechanical, civil, structural, electrical, etc, and then there was me, the one physics major. After the experience you sit in a room with everyone for over an hour being called in one by one to find out if we have been selected. Very nerve racking. You still aren't done though. There is a HAIR drug test (can't be beat) and an extensive background test, IF you make it past the BHE and are picked. More than half of us flown to Houston were given offers. You will be able to select a few choice locations and jobs, they'll decide what's right for you. The offer is very good with a potential sign on (relocation) bonus.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Your job is chosen for you; however the more you mingle with the hiring manager of the product line you WANT, the better your chances of getting into that field. You mingle during eating times, and remember....they aren't there to eat. Just ask good questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

I applied online and after a couple of weeks received a call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was exhausting but was mostly general HR questions. Lots of "describe a situation where this or that happened." It was a little impersonal but that was the only complaint I had. After about 3 days I was e-mailed and told I made it past that round and I was welcome to come out for the Baker Hughes Experience. Even though I was one of quite a few people (20-30) there, it was such a great experience. The managers that would eventually hire you were there to talk about the work with them and there were several activities over the two days. All in all I thought it as a great process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a technical problem where you solved it on your own.   Answer Question

Strategic Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Baker Hughes.

First interview was with the recruiter via a phone call. I was asked some basic behavioral, non technical interview questions related to my experience, education, etc. If shortlisted, i would then be called for an in person interview with the hiring manager. Did not make it to the second round.

Interview Questions
    • A challenging situation you faced at work and how you responded   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

One hour phone screen, one hour interview, offer within one week. Director I interviewed with made me feel that she knew me. She had my resume memorized and rarely looked at it. Her questions, observations and comments were related as if I were casually chatting with an old friend...Low-stress environment and encounter.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked, outside of the job description and qualifications listed on my resume, how could I help my team and what did I feel I had to offer that other candidates might have.   View Answer
    There was none. I accepted immediately, it was paying $6-10k more than my last 4 offers with other companies and competitors functioning in the exact same role.

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Baker Hughes.

First interview was with two people. One was an engineering manager, the other was a woman from HR. They are definitely looking for someone who knows about their company. I recommend attending any information sessions they have if you want to be taken seriously. Questions were typical HR questions such as "tell me about time you had to make a decision quickly", "tell me about a time when you had to contribute to a group", "tell me about a time when you were given a very difficult task". The interview is very structured. There was very little chitchat and it felt a lot like being given a quiz. If you make it past the first round during the fall, you're sure to be given the opportunity to undergo the "Baker Hughes Experience". This includes going to Houston for second round evaluation of skills, professionalism, and teamwork abilities. It's quite a lot to go through for a job at a service company. Some people get hired this way, others I know simply got picked up by Baker Hughes randomly later on. One of the better service companies. You can definitely turn it into a job with a good interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with someone in a group or with whom you were working. How did you handle this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes in May 2014.

Went thought the BH experience. The first day they had dinner and a few activities. The second day was over 12 hours of group activities and other tests. Just be social.

I took the offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Baker Hughes in April 2014.

I applied online and took a couple of days to hear back from them. I received an email inviting me for a virtual interview. The virtual interview consisted of 9 sets of 2-5 behavioral questions focused on technical work or school experience. Now I am waiting for the BHE.

Interview Questions
    • If you want to minimize the chance of messing up or freezing in front of the webcam, you can do what I did. Prepare a list of questions from other reviews in glassdoor for this position. Then just answer them based on your experiences (doing it in front of a mirror helps with your confidence). You may not get asked many of the questions you got ready for, but at least you get to explore your brain for good stories and tailor them to answer any question you did not expect coming.   View Answer