Baker Hughes Inteq

Baker Hughes Inteq Interview Questions

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

MWD Field Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq in July 2014.

I received a call from a recruiter for Baker and he submitted my resume for me. Once he submitted my resume I went to the Baker website to verify the accuracy of his submission and received a phone call from HR about 3 hours later to set up a video interview. Interview was fairly casual with three managers from the regional office.

Interview Questions
    • Was questioned on troubleshooting techniques, technical expertise and work traits and habits.   Answer Question
    Offer is being sent out, still mulling over whether to accept

Field Engineer I -LWD Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq.

Once you fill out the online resume, if you are going to be considered for a job you will get a call from an HR rep in Houston. They will ask you a series of standard questions and take a few background notes. If you move on past that you will get a call from the local supervisor to setup a phone or face to face interview. Once that is done you will submit to the background check and drug test. This whole process GREATLY varies based on who you know and how quick they want you to start.

Interview Questions
    • Name 3 reasons why you want to come to work for Baker Hughes?   Answer Question

Research Development and Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq in January 2014.

Most of these reviews cover all the bases, and the process for RDD engineers is quite similar to the Field Engineer interview process. You will either have an on campus or phone interview (mine was the later) where they ask you a few basic behavioral questions. I would recommend doing some research on what Baker Hughes does because they will ask you what you know about the company.

Next, if your interview went well you will be invited to the Baker Hughes Experience, a 3 day program where you and a group (mine was 14 others) will be closely observed by 10-15 hiring managers who are looking to find out where you fit in at Baker Hughes. My advice: get to know them all, be friends with all of them, and try to learn as quickly as possible which ones you want to work for so you can target your free time conversations to them.

Day 1:
    Dinner where you sit and chat with many of the hiring managers, and then you will take the Mayan numeral test. Its not very difficult but you will have to add and multiply large numbers occasionally, so prepare for that.

Day 2:
    Be downstairs at 6:20, go to the facility for breakfast, followed by an introduce yourself exercise where you might be called on to remember the names and adjectives of everybody before you. Don't be afraid to use your notepad to assist you with this.

Next you will be put into groups and given 90 minutes to solve a real engineering problem and then present it for 15 minutes using flip charts. My advice: Make sure you get everything you can onto the flip charts to help you with your presentation, because they will grill you with tough questions. Make sure you listen to your teammates and exemplify teamwork, because the hiring managers will notice and pay attention to how you work in a team.

After this process you will eat lunch while the hiring managers give presentations on who they are and what they are looking for: PAY ATTENTION. Take notes, especially if they are targeting your major. After lunch is over and the presentations are finished, they will give you an opportunity to find and talk to the managers of your choice, so choose wisely and ask good questions.

After meeting the hiring managers, the group splits up into two: half go on a tour of the facility, while the other half will do 5 basic assessments. For the assessments, make sure you follow directions but not too closely because they will try to throw you off. 2 of the stations have a part you have to assemble, and some of the steps will already be completed for you. Another station where you have to measure things with a caliper, use the diagram to make sure you measure the right distances. Another station to measure pH of two sodas, very basic test, make sure you read instructions on how to use pH meter and rinse it in water after measuring. Finally measure 3 resistors using ohmmeter, and then a fourth one using a chart. My recommendation: use the other 3 resistors to determine how the chart works, it can be confusing at first.

After both groups have done both activities, there will be an ethics debate that is pretty simple, just make sure you can justify your choice (half the time there is only one "correct' answer). I would advise going back to the 4 core principles of baker hughes: integrity, teamwork, performance, and learning, as well as safety, which is huge at baker hughes, to justify your answers.

After these activities, you will be grouped and asked to build an oil rig in 35 minutes - 5 to buy supplies with limited "Baker Hughes Dollars", and then 30 (which they cut down to 20 while we were working) to build the rig itself. You want to make sure it can withstand structural tests (he will bounce the table up and down, and then push it) and also resemble one of the towers. Be creative and you should do fine. That was it for day 2.

Day 3:
    Same deal with wake up, be downstairs at 6:20 AM. The only assessment for Day 3 is the presentation they asked you to do on a technical subject. Make it something interesting that you have worked on, and make sure you can answer technical questions about what you present (they may not ask any questions, but I don't know if that can be considered a good thing or not). More opportunities during and afterwards to talk to hiring managers, take advantage.

Most helpful tips I can give are the following: Be friendly, engaged, and interested in the positions that are available. Know the product lines well, and harp on the 4 core principles and safety at any chance you get. Good Luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you make it to the BHE, you will not be able to prepare for any specific question more than I have given you in the review, just be on your toes and keep your cool and you should do fine.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, offer was substantial.

Well Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person – interviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq.

Hiring and salary is based on who you know. Not what you know. You can present any type of degree and you will never be questioned. I know of people fudging degrees and resumes acquire more money (mouth). All and all it's a reflection on management for encouraging and letting this happen. If your a hunter you will love this place.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a hard worker? You hunt or have a lease?   View Answer
    Low balled me at 45,000 and I accepted. I didn't know other companies were paying 25,000 more. What you don't know will hurt you...

Directional Driller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pleasant, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pleasant, PA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq.

HR is Mickey Mouse operation

Interview Questions
    • everythinbg is easy but to deal with un professional HR, they will keep ypu hanging!   Answer Question

This company is run by Mickey Mouse operation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq in December 2010.

Campus application - Campus recruitment by lower management - Email confirmation for succeeding to second round - Baker Hughes Experience in Houston, TX - Airfare and Limo service at airport paid for - Stay at Sheraton Hotel Houston for 2 days - first day mechanical test, chemical lab experiments competency tests - Group discussion - Divided us into 4 people teams and gave 500 page long case study to prepare and present upon next day morning only to test is we can work without sleep - Next morning presentations individual group in front of 10-12 member panel followed by safety related trick questions - Next 10-12 member panel interview however all the participants were seated in one row opposite to the panel and were individually asked personal questions in front of everyone to test confidence.

Non-negotiable Fresher recruitment program for Engineers

Graduated Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limbe (Cameroon)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Limbe (Cameroon)

I applied online – interviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq in November 2014.

I summited my online application for the post of graduate field engineer at Baker. Two days after, I received a Hirevue email inviting me to take a digital interview. I was about 9 questions where you have 30 secondes to think about each question and 3 minutes to answer. Questions were very long but enoug easy to answer. I am waiting for the next step.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a situation where you worked on a project with deadline and a budget given, how did you handle the situation? what was the outcome and what would you do differently next time?   Answer Question

Mud Logging Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq.

Had one interview, was informative and good.

Field Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes Inteq in July 2013.

After chasing up an interview with a recruitment agency, I went through a 2 stage interview process (both of which were over the phone.) The first consisting of a lengthy chat with recruitment, the second was a 40 minute interview with my current co-ordinator about my qualifications and what I can expect from the job.

Field Engineer I -LWD Interview

Bureaucratic process. But the interview was very casual. Lots of paperwork and tests. Questions had little to do with the job or what would be required. Mostly trying to determine if you were comfortable with the miserable life of a field specialist in the oil fields. Had to arrive multiple times at the office in order to get an interview and followup. Everybody is so very busy in the oil business.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions, basically casual conversation with the boss to see if you had a sense of humor.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiations. It was take it or leave it.