Baker Hughes Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Met recruiter at career fair and followed up with email... got link to a one way online interview (answer prerecorded questions via web cam). Simple behavioral questions, but generally too long to answer in 3 minutes example, tell me of a time you had you did not meet deadline, what was situation, what deadline missed, what happened, conclusions, what did you learn, what would you do differently next time.

Note after question is asked, you get 30 seconds to think and then respond. also you can pause/break or some time (1 or 2 minutes) between questions, that is right after you answer a question but before you click to view the next one.

Do the practice questions to get a better understanding of what to expect, you can do as many as you want anyways, you will get different ones during the interview.

Petroleum Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes (Tulsa, OK).

Interview

I applied through University Recruiting and was requested for an On-Campus Interview. The interview was very straight-forward and was conducted by an HR-department employee. Questions focusing on my what was written on my resume. Some were behavioral-type questions. I was notified that I would be going on to a second stage interview in Houston, but never actually received the invitation. I later contacted HR and was informed that I would remain on-file.

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Impersonal HireView video where you answer prerecorded questions which are exactly like those that have been posted. 10 questions. If they like your recorded interview, they'll fly you to the Baker Hughes Experience (they accept 2% of their interviewed applicants). At this point, you still don't have the job. You go through 2 days of grueling tests and activities that will take you out of your element. Prepare to be very assertive, and prepare to go on a really bad week (I had 4 exams to take right after the event). You go to a beautiful hotel and you are fed steak, chicken, fish, and really good breakfast; you eat like a kings. Use the time wisely to mingle with the hiring managers, and know something about the product lines. Petroleum engineers will have a strong advantage, but only ONE of the petroleum engineers with us was hired. There were 16 engineering students; chemical, petroleum, mechanical, civil, structural, electrical, etc, and then there was me, the one physics major. After the experience you sit in a room with everyone for over an hour being called in one by one to find out if we have been selected. Very nerve racking. You still aren't done though. There is a HAIR drug test (can't be beat) and an extensive background test, IF you make it past the BHE and are picked. More than half of us flown to Houston were given offers. You will be able to select a few choice locations and jobs, they'll decide what's right for you. The offer is very good with a potential sign on (relocation) bonus.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Your job is chosen for you; however the more you mingle with the hiring manager of the product line you WANT, the better your chances of getting into that field. You mingle during eating times, and remember....they aren't there to eat. Just ask good questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview

I started my hiring process with Baker Hughes at a career fair. Things went well with the employees there, and I was able to get an on campus interview a few days later after going to a Baker Hughes information session. The second round of interviews was a video interview. This interview consisted of answering prerecorded questions, it was NOT a live interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions for the internship were very standard, but answering to just a camera and not a live or even skyped audience was somewhat uncomfortalbe   2 Answers

Negotiation

For the internship there was not much room for negotiation at all.

Wireline Operator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Odessa, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes (Odessa, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied through the corporate website. Initial contact from the company took approximately 3-4 weeks after online application submission. I then got call requesting a phone interview which took place immediately. This was very brief and basic. Basic job information. Basic questions verifying my information from the application was correct. The recruiter then scheduled a tentative F2F interview with the hiring supervisor and confirmed this appointment 2 days later.

F2F interview was very comfortable and relaxed. It was conducted by the direct supervisor of the position and the departmental manager. They told me I was overqualified for the position and under-qualified for the other positions they were seeking to fill. I demonstrated that, in that case, I'm the ideal candidate since I would progress quickly from the lower level position offered to the higher level positions they were seeking to fill. The atmosphere was conversational as opposed to interrogative and both men were very nice, friendly and honest.

No offer was made on-the-spot directly as it's this company's policy to funnel all offers through the HR department. However, they made it as clear as possible, ethically, that they wanted to extend an offer to me. I got the offer via HR 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Most unexpected was when they told me I was overqualified. If you really want a position, you need to be able and prepared to counter all potential rebuttals or misgivings they may have about you being the right person for the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Entry level position. No negotiation available.

AMO Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview

Promised advancement opportunities
    Promised training for advancement roles
    I was interviewed by multiple people including an HR rep
    I was walked around the plant and show the different processes
    They were willing to answer any questions I had.

Well Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes.

Interview

I was initially introduced software that you'd be using. Then they asked standard interview questions like greatest strengths/weaknesses. I then met some other staff members and toured the office. Then I got my parking validated and the hiring manager contacted me for a second interview the next day.

Interview Questions

• Several behavioral questions on 2nd interview about older projects.   Answer Question

Technical Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Claremore, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes (Claremore, OK).

Interview

I found the hiring process to be very formal and business-like. I was informed of the company's interest and followed-up with pre-interview questions by email. A few days later I had a phone interview with the company's recruiter and again asked the basic interview questions. I ended up getting an in-person interview and to my surprise, I was asked the same canned interview questions and was told from the beginning of the interview, they were looking for the right fit for the position. The entire process took about 2 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• What do you like least about your job. Not a tough question, but after answering it 3 times it become a bit redundant.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Baker Hughes in August 2014.

Interview

Got interview by applying through website. Also talked to recuriter at school's career fair. Got sent an email two weeks later to take an online interview which just recorded my answers with a webcam.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty difficult. All were multi-part and you only had 30 seconds to prepare. Most questions took 30 seconds to read. Then it started recording and you had three minutes to answer. More than enough time. Not nearly enough time to prepare, Most akward interview I've had.   1 Answer

Field Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Hughes (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied online and after a couple of weeks received a call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was exhausting but was mostly general HR questions. Lots of "describe a situation where this or that happened." It was a little impersonal but that was the only complaint I had. After about 3 days I was e-mailed and told I made it past that round and I was welcome to come out for the Baker Hughes Experience. Even though I was one of quite a few people (20-30) there, it was such a great experience. The managers that would eventually hire you were there to talk about the work with them and there were several activities over the two days. All in all I thought it as a great process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a technical problem where you solved it on your own.   Answer Question