Baker Hughes Interview Questions & Reviews

533 interviews

2.9

Graduate Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Baker Hughes in March 2014.

Phone screen about a week before the BHE (are you eligible to work in U.S.? why do you want to work at Baker Hughes?). BHE is pretty much exactly like others have described. You give your product line and geographic preferences at the very end and it seems that that's how they eliminate people.

The only difference was they gave us an offer or not on the second day. We all waited outside a room and one by one they told us yes or no. They'll tell you they'll get back to you in a week but don't or that they'll keep your resume. They lie to your faces saying they are interviewing for all product lines and locations based on availability and where they think you'd fit but really are only hiring for the locations and product lines that they have hiring managers for there.

If you're looking for a good field job, this is it. Just be open to go into the product lines and locations that the hiring managers are from. Be personable, ask relevant questions. And for the part assemblies, the pieces are numbered. Just follow the instructions. Mayan test is fairly easy. Just know how it works and use lines instead of blocks to save time when converting between mayan and arabic (normal 1,2,3..). The quiz after the info session on the first day does not matter.

Interview Questions
    • Rate how you think you're doing during the interview on a scale of 1-10. Who was the leader in your group (from the final presentation where you sell Baker Hughes to college students)?   View Answer

Senior Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Baker Hughes in February 2014.

Very unprofessional. The hiring manager didn’t show up or give notice to other interviewers. With 18 plus years of experience in supply chain and sourcing on my resume, one of the interviewers was asking me questions about my high school graduation date, collage GPA, internships and what I did in school. Plus one of them couldn’t give a firm handshake or look me in the eye.

Interview Questions
    • High school graduation date, collage GPA   View Answer

Unprofessional and lack of etiquette

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

I submitted my resume. I received a call and phone screen which went very well. I then had an interview with the hiring manager which also went very well. I then had a 1 on 1 interview with the Manager +1. I also was asked to speak with the North American Vice President. The entire interview process was very professional and very well organized. The questions were directed towards my experience, skills, behaviors and work ethic. It was very thorough and the fact that three levels of management were concerned about hiring the right person was appreciated. In retrospect it may have been more of a control issue than the latter.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was probably in regards to my 5 years experience and whether it related to the position that i was applying for. I guess the strong implication that it did not apply and was not really considered valid was much unexpected.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was very profesional. We went back and forth a few times based on salary and vacation time.

Electronic Technician Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

I posted my resume on Monsterjobs. Baker Hughes of Yukon contracted with a recruiter to find at least three technician candidates. I spoke with recruiter only until the first interview, which was with the base lead technician. We talked in the tech lab about what they do, and about my experience as a navy technician. I took a basic electronics test. When the decision was made to select me, I then had to use the company HR website to officially apply for the job. This was a long and tedious website, as many still are.

Interview Questions
    Some negotiation during the interview on an acceptable rate. Job offer letter came in just above that amount.

Field Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in September 2013.

Most of what I can say about this interview process has already been said on this site. I attended the career fair at my school and was signed up for an on-campus interview two weeks later. The interview was conducted by a recent alumni, and lasted for an hour. My interviewer asked a few of the questions on his piece of paper, but mostly he wanted to get to know me personally to judge my character. He took my resume and said he would pass it along to his boss to try and get me in on the sales side over field engineering because it was a better fit for my personality.

About three weeks to a month later, I received an email inviting me to the Baker Hughes Experience (BHE) in Houston. The email comes very unexpectedly and you are expected to make a decision about the BHE very quickly, and then attend it with not many days to prepare (at least that's how quickly mine happened). The BHE lasts three days and two nights.

At the BHE, the first day you check into the hotel, get dinner with the different hiring managers and candidates, listen to some presentations and then go to the hotel bar afterwards. The key to this night is to really just meet everyone, hiring managers and candidates, and be very social. Ask knowledgeable questions, definitely go sit down at the bar and have a couple drinks, but don't get sloppy. I would recommend showing some responsibility and going to bed at a decent hour because the next day is extremely long. When you go back to your room research the product lines each hiring manager is representing.

For the second day, you take off to a Houston office on a charter bus. Get some coffee in you before / during the bus ride and prepare to be social. Try and sit near a hiring manager and ask questions about their product line as well as being social with other candidates. This entire experience is how well you can interact with others. You will eat breakfast and lunch at the office accompanied with several activities and a tour. These activities included: Names/Hometowns/Interesting facts, group case study positions by choice of four different actions to a case and an opportunity to defend your option, mayan numerals test, case study test, some basic engineering tests, and a team oil rig construction activity. Take notes on everything and everyone. Drink even more coffee to stay alert throughout the day because there are some dull parts. Remember you are constantly being evaluated. After all of these things have occurred, you will depart back to the hotel to prepare for dinner. Dinner is the same as the night before, sit with a hiring manager and ask questions. There is a panel interview that lasts about 10 minutes per candidate after dinner. Very generic interview questions that you have probably already heard at this point. Go to the bar afterwards and have a few drinks, be responsible and go to bed at a decent hour. When I say decent hour plan on getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep haha.

The third and final day is only for the morning. You have to perform a skit on how a hiring manager would market BHI to a new student and incorporate the company values and basically everything you have learned over the last couple days. Be creative and funny. Stick around and eat lunch if you have a later flight.

My advice: Be yourself for this, it is a really down to earth experience. Don't overdress this event, if the email says business casual (as mine did), don't show up in a suit, you'll be the only one. Be as social as you can and drink a lot of coffee. I probably had four cups on the second day to stay alert the entire time because you really don't get much sleep, which is a culture for this job. Don't drink too much at the bar, and don't leave the hotel to go to another bar, but you should definitely stay up and drink with the managers at the bar for a few rounds. If you don't drink alcohol, just drink a coke or something, but be at the bar to socialize. Lastly, remember that you are constantly being evaluated from the time you step foot in the hotel until you leave it on the last day.

Interview Questions
    • Very generic interview questions at the BHE. You can find them all in Google.   Answer Question
    You receive a phone call the following Monday whether you are accepted or declined, which I liked because it was about a two day turn-around. The official offer is emailed to you the following Friday. You have a week to accept it, and if you wish to negotiate you must contact them as to why. I accepted mine instantly because it was higher than any other company had given me so they really didn't have any competition.

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Baker Hughes in July 2012.

The interview was a 2 day event that they called the "Baker Hughes Experience" that was held at a hotel. The interview consisted of multiple interviews, presentations and a group project involving 50 other candidates and a panel of 10 current Baker Hughes employees.

Interview Questions
    • They requested that you create a 3-5 minute presentation about yourself less than 12 hours before the presentation was to be presented to the panel (10 people) and room full of candidates (50 people)   Answer Question

Internship was only for a small period of time

Directional Driller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Baker Hughes in January 2011.

1st call - Short conversation with HR about my qualifications, she was very friendly.

2nd call - Phone interview with directional drilling coordinators about job specific questions. It was very easy to talk to the coordinators. None of the questions were behavioral.

3rd Interview - Web camera interview with several coordinators at one time. This was like sitting around with a bunch of friends talking about work. It wasn't intimidating at all.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question - What is better, Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate.

Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

I was interviewed on campus. They tend to interview a lot of students, and only few of them had the chance to move forward.

Human Resources Intern Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

The whole process was efficient and simple. I was referred to them by an employee in the HR department who passed them my resume. Furthermore, they conducted the interview online through an outside interview firm. Benefits of this type of interview included the fact that I was not forced to drive out to Houston for it. Although, the fact that I answered pre recorded questions rather than communicating with an actual person was a little off-putting.

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Baker Hughes.

Hated the experience, did not allow for interaction with the executives that were present.