Baker Installations

Updated Nov 7, 2014

1.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Baker Installations

Do You Know the Muffin Man? Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Baker Installations in January 2010.

I was interviewed in a bread shop, and this company has absolutely nothing to do with baking bread. I was met by two company representatives. The first was mostly concerned with hearing his own voice as shoveled muffin after muffin into his rapidly moving mouth parts. The second turned out to be one the best upper management members I've ever had the pleasure of working for. He would spend the next four years of my employment doing the job of three people with very little recognition.

Interview Questions
    • You wanna muffin?   View Answer
    • Will you hold be holding me accountable for this muffin stuffin nut jobs actions?   View Answer
    They don't negotiate with new hires.

Cable Installer Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Baker Installations in July 2011.

It took a couple days from the moment I turned in my resume. After that we proceeded to set up an over the phone interview. It consisted of them telling me what the job offered and what they needed. She initially asked me what made me think this company/job is for me.

After that it was about your driving record, background check, safety issues on the job. Once she went through all of the necessary things I proceeded to ask about the salary and the hours of the job. She mentioned the take home was around 35k. I stressed that I would like at least 2 days off a week as much as possible. I wouldn't mind working a sixth day once a month. She then told me that the hours were from 45-65 hours a week. I did some basic math in my head and realized if I was having a take home of 35k on this... 10-12/hr job (she also told me the earlier that rate) I would not be working less then 60 hour work weeks with only one day off. Most likely the work weeks would have to be about 70 hours for me to accomplish that kind of take home on that hourly wage with OT.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you believe our company fits your type of work?   View Answer
    • What do you like about our company?   View Answer

I declined the offer because it's like having TWO full time jobs. I refuse to not have an actual life out of work. I would simply have no life. Pushing your techs to work this ridiculous schedule INSTANTLY tells me that this company does not care if their employees have a personal life. Also, this company does not match your 401k plan.

Installation Technician Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Baker Installations in May 2010.

Found listing online & filled out initial company application. Wasn't sure if application went through as I had recieved an error msg so I called the company's HR dept. & left a msg indicating my problem sending as well as my continued interest in the position. Was contacted the following day by an HR rep who set up a phone interview the following day.

Phone interview took about 30 - 45 mins and consisted of fairly specific questions asking for examples of specific situations I've encountered @ work and how I handled them.. or would handle them should they arise. The rest of the questions were pretty straight forward: Why do you want to work for us? Why do you want to be an install tech? etc...

At the end of the phone interview the HR rep set up a personal interview with one of the supervisors... This is pretty much when you know if they're interested in you as the HR rep told me that if they don't follow up the phone interview with an immediate offer for a personal interview, you pretty much can expect that they're passing on you as a potential employee.

Personal interview was very casual & straight-forward. Again, some of the "formal" HR questions from above, but mostly consisted of the supervisor explaining the ins & outs of the job, the pros & cons, and making sure you were ok with everything.

All in all, a very thorough & efficient process.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult experience you had working with customers & how did you deal with it?   View Answer
    • What would you do if you encountered a problem on a job & were concerned that wouldn't be able to meet company timeframe standards?   View Answer
    Not much negotiaing yet, but planted seed that I feel my experience should put me above their relativley meeger opening wage. Agreed to opening wage through training period... but once settled, intend on seeking what I feel would be a more appropriate & resonable wage.