Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Milwaukee, WI

Interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

Interview Details – (For the Milwaukee Office) I first completed a phone interview. The HR representative was very nice and it was more to get to know me rather than asking specific, tough, "interview questions". I made it past that point, at which time I was invited for an in-person interview, which is the final step. There were 4 interviewees, and we each met with 3 interviewers that day (30 mins each), and then we were taken to lunch, where it was 2 applicants and 2 employees to a table. It was a very nice experience, and I really wish I would have gotten the job. In any case, I enjoyed the lunch and getting to know the people, and maybe our paths will meet again in the future. The most important thing I'd like to stress in this review is that the in-person interview day seems intimidating, but I was actually quite relaxed once I got there and had a short welcome from the managing partner. They have a very solid interview process.

Interview Question – The questions they asked I mostly expected. The toughest one was a question that he kind of improvised which related to me specifically. Sorry, that probably doesn't help anyone preparing for an interview, but that's just how it was.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause.

Interview Details – They were very persistent in trying to hire me for the role.

Interview Question – Tell me about your biggest failure and how did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made their offer and I ended up asking for $25k more and they accepted.

Staff Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause.

Interview Details – Two bak-to-back interviews of at least 45 minuete each, both interviews with current employees (all who have been in you position before). There was also two moderators, who showed me to my interviewing room, and talked to me for a brief minuete inbetween interviews.

STAR interviewing process, nothing too different from any other STAR interview I've every been in. The shear lentgh of the interview process though wore on me.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to make a split-decsion? how did you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Staffing/Recruiting Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online via the Baker Tilly career site, and was e-mailed by a recruiter 2-3 days later to set up a phone interview.

During the interview (which lasted about 20 minutes), the recruiter was very professional and conversational, with the entirety of the conversation focusing on my experience, my future goals, and what I liked about the field/my current position. She did not ask me if I had any questions for her at the end of the interview, which I thought was a bit odd.

I thought the interview went exceptionally well, being confident in all of my answers and never hesitating to answer, but I received a "thanks-but-no-thanks" e-mail the next business day.

Overall it was a positive experience, but it was unfortunate it did not work out. I know they do tend to look for Accounting/Finance degrees in this role, whereas mine was strictly HR.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe my current organization's staffing process, from application acceptance through the hire.   Answer Question

Administration Interview

Administration
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause in July 2011.

Interview Details – - relatively quick and timely
- seemed organized and to have a set interview model

Interview Question – - "Give an example of a problem that you had to overcome. How did you address it, what did you do?"   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause.

Interview Details – The consulting interviews are all behavior based, no real case questions. Your knowledge of the industry and a consultant's ability to think will be tested, but they're are trying to gauge your passion and interest in the industry.

Interview Question – Asked my definition of management consulting and challenged any "buzzwords" used.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Standard package.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly lengthy - lasting for about 4 months. The interviews were comprised of 3 phone interviews, and one in-person interview. The first phone interview was the typical call from Human Resources to see if I would be a good candidate for the position. The other two phone interviews were more about getting to know me and how I would fit for the project they had in mind. The in-person interview was three 1:1 interviews following with a lunch after with two current consultants in a similar role.

Interview Question – There really were no questions that were unexpected or that difficult. Very straight to the point and not out to trick you.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause in June 2012.

Interview Details – I think it varies by team. My team is ~5 people in the Chicago office (2-3 are actually dedicated to the office, the others are either in WI or MI offices). My interviews were mostly done over the phone (3 phone interviews - recruiter in DC, manager, and then a lead) and one face-to-face over coffee (two other consultants).

Interview Question – I found the questions to be pretty standard. The recruiter covered the behavioral stuff ('tell me about a time when...') and the team I met with convered the technical abilities/'walk me through your resume' type questions. It was informal, comfortable and I didn't feel pressured.

My only advice is to come prepared with a lot of questions - especailly if your interview is long. I typically come to an interview with 5-10 questions, but I was strugglig to fill time with that many. I would be prepared to ask about 20-30 minutes of questions, to be safe.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not a lot of room at the Staff level.

Director Interview

Vienna, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was referred by a partner to the Sr. Manager of Recruiting who kept me abreast of where I stood in the process at all times. My office interview consisted of an interview with the Recruiting Manager and two one on one meetings with partners. The interview was scheduled very quickly after my initial referral to the company.

Interview Question – Why are you changing companies/jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer I was given was very fair so I did not negotiate anything other than my start date.

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause in March 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted through university recruiting. Completed phone interview and visited firm for second interview.

Interview Questions