Baker & McKenzie

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

2.6

Corporate Lawyer Interview

Submitted application online, was first interviewed on the phone so that they can verify if your qualifications fit the job requirements and see if you are articulate. Once through that, I was then requested to come in for a personal interview. The personal interview was average in duration, about 30 minutes. The administrative staff are professional and polite.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change in your last job?   View Answer

Contract Billing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie in November 2013.

There was no interview other than a five-minute phone screening. Virtually no information was provided by the recruiter or the billing manager aboout the specifics of the job; it would have been helpful to note that a great deal of experience working with Word is necessary, as this is non-standard for this position industry-wide (and Baker provided virtually no training oon the job-specific software). Very slapdash. I should have seen it as the red flag it turned out to be.

Interview Questions
    • none - in fact, virtually nothing of substance was asked.   View Answer
    Done through Randstad USA (which was a BIG mistake)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie.

Slow interview process

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect them to be so thorough with their questioning. Great law firm from what I can tell. Will try again another time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie in August 2011.

Small office of a very large firm. The attorneys I met with were smart and seemed happy. Employees didn't seem to socialize much outside of work, but there seemed to be a lot of mutual respect among the attorneys. Work seemed interesting. Interview was standard for a lateral candidate. I left with a strong impression of the firm.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie in June 2010.

This was the most horribly offensive interviewing experience I have ever had. I was at a second round of interviews and interviewing with a high ranking partner in the labor and employment group for an associate position. He noticed that I had an engagement ring on and that I went to undergrad and law school in another state. He asked if I was originally from that state and, when I answered in the affirmative, asked me how they could be sure that I wouldn't move back to that state once I started "breeding." He said that in his experience, women go "running back to mommy" as soon as they have kids, so how could I convince him that I wasn't going to do that. I was completely shocked and told him that I was only licensed in Illinois, had been practicing here for 6 years, owned a home here, had no intention of leaving or having kids any time soon. I then stood up and left his office. I went directly to the head recruiter, told her that there was no need for me to continue on with the remainder of the interviews scheduled for that day or with the interview process, and pulled myself from contention.

Interview Questions
    • How could I assure them that I wouldn't run back to my mommy in my home state when I decided to have kids?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie in August 2007.

This was a lateral position to work directly for one person. So I only met with that person and with a member of the recruiting staff. After the interview, I was asked to provide references. They were checked quickly. Everything else went through my headhunter. It was a relatively quick and painless process.

Interview Questions
    Tried to but did not have any success.

Legal Secretary Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie in February 2007.

Very in depth but very relaxed. The people were great.

A bit awkward

Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Baker & McKenzie.

Really slow drawn out process- three rounds of interview. Hopeless HR- turned up for one interview to find partners couldn't make it, no-one bothered to tell me in advance.

Expectation that I would pay for my own PCert- had to push back hard on that.

Should have known from interview process what it would be like once working there!

Interview Questions
    Painful negotiation- hopeless HR.

Pupil Interview

Submission of CV is followed by email from HR to arrange an interview. Interview consists of personal and technical questions on general legal and broader economic issues. There is also a problem question to be answered. Receive responses within a few days (but some have encountered a few months wait).

Interview Questions
    • Written problem question is fairly basic and poses a contractual problem and how you would advise the client. Difficult questions involve conversations on general global economic issues.   Answer Question

Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Baker & McKenzie in October 2013.

CV analysis, interviews, english tests and an essay writing.

Interview Questions
    • Writing an essay related the compulsory voting regime in Brazil.   Answer Question