Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.9

Finance Manager Interview

Job List comes out every week for Internal candidates and if not successful at filling it via Internal candidates, Apply via recruiter, firt interview with recruiter x1, followed by Co. HR interview along with Sr. Finance person at the Finance Dept seeking to fill the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference Finance Manager, Finance Director and Chief finance Officer?   View Answer
    Did not have one as the salary was fixed, times and location was fixed.

Business Management Graduate Interview

process was straight forward, Apply online and get through to online tests. the tests are not hard but just to make sure you finish which was my main problem.

Easy to contact the HR office to get more information as there is no set date for the completion of the tests.

There is also a video interview afterwards so ensure you are comfortable with that.

Interview Questions
    • Numerical, verbal and logical tests. not hard but make sure you practice good time management.   Answer Question

L&D Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom).

Contacted through recruiter. Attended panel interview at London HQ. Long interview, good questions, related to experience, interviewer provided overview of job, seemed to be a bit in the air what was required, no clear answers to questions regarding scope and requirements. Did not provide feedback after interview, other than 'weakest candidate'.

IT Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) in July 2013.

I applied from the Balfour Beatty Site for the IT Graduate position.
    I received a call for a technical interview in London and was scheduled in the morning.
    I reached on time, and the interview started after 10 minutes. There were 2 interviewers who had a sheet in their hand and a notepad.
    They introduced themselves and since how long they were with the company and then asked me about myself. I was working 2 part-times so they asked how is that going and what type of job you do.
    Then they asked me scenario based questions, examples on when I displayed leadership, effective communication, management skills, team working etc. After that they asked me about my education and my projects which I had mentioned on my CV. In the last, the line that made an impression on the interviewer I guess was when I said that I could assure you that whatever you invest in me I will give you 200% back. After a week I received a call that I was selected for the second interview which was HR based.
    I went for the second interview which was taken by the CIO of the company and the Head of HR. They asked me various value based questions like what I thought about the values of the company like integrity, teamwork, respect etc and then asked me to describe scenarios of when I displayed those.
    After a week I received a call to say that I am hired !! :) .. At that time I asked that can you please tell me what would my salary be because I was so nervous that I had forgotten to ask that.. :) .. she laughed and said this is your salary and asked if I was happy with it. It was my first proper job so honestly I was happy with anything :)

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I found was the scenario based. Because they were timed and it was hard to think of an example at that time. There were total 10 scenarios which I needed to explain in order to demonstrate my skills.   View Answer

Business Management Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) in April 2013.

I recently attended an Assessment Centre for Balfour Beatty Workplace for a Business Management Graduate Scheme. The recruitment process consisted of:

1) Online Application
    2) Numerical & Verbal Reasoning Tests / Personality Questionnaire
    3) Telephone Interview

- What do you know about BB?
    - Why the Business Management Grad Scheme?
    - Tell me about a BB project that you know about?

4) Assessment Centre

- Written Exercise (Can't prepare for this - on the day exercise)
    - Group Exercise (Can't prepare for this - on the day exercise)
    - Retesting of Numerical Reasoning Test
    - Face to face Interview

-- Why BB?
    -- Why this scheme?
    -- Tell us a time when you have worked effectively in a team? What role do you normally take? How do you work with difficult people? How do you operate within a team? What do you like/dislike about working in a team?
    -- Tell us a time when you have had different values/opinions to somebody else? What did you do about this?
    -- Tell us a time when you dealt with a demanding customer?
    -- Tell us a time when you made a decision without all of the information available?
    -- Any other questions?

Tip:

- Research Balfour Beatty group, and the different divisions they operate in. Research the division and business that you will be working at in detail.
    - Prepare competencies that fit their values: Integrity, Respect, Excellence, and Teamwork
    - Be prepared to express your openness to relocating and travelling

Interview Questions
    • For me it was: Tell us a time when you made a decision without all of the information available?   Answer Question

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) in January 2011.

I met the Hiring Manager at a hotel lobby. He was with a colleague. We liked each other. I was invited another senior manager. Met him briefly in the office. Questions were mostly generic. Both interviewers were largely assessing personality, communication skills, and gauging the ability to deliver. I succeeded at both interviews.

Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) in September 2008.

Hiring event was done through recruitment consultancy. Got invited to an assessment day where I had various interviews and had to do various aptitude tests.

n/a

Domestic Operative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunbar, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunbar, Scotland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) in August 2008.

i was called at home and invited in for an interview. when i went in i was met by interviewing officer. interview lasted 30 mins. i was called again at home 3 days after interview and told that i was being offered the job which i duly accepted. i then heard nothing for 2 weeks and i had to contact them when they told me they were waiting on my security clearance to come through. i was then invited in to do an induction and drug and alcohol test. i started work on 13 october 2009.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult or unexpected questions asked   View Answer
    no negotiations were offered and none asked for.

Industrial Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Balfour Beatty (United Kingdom) in January 2008.

Balfour Beatty has arranged an interview process in the uni, where before they interviewed they have made a brief presentation about background of the company and positions available within the company. They have then conducted an IQ test which lasted 30mins. After the IQ test applicants where taken for 1:1 interview with the man in charge of recruiting.