Bally Technologies

Updated Oct 31, 2014
Updated Oct 31, 2014

2.9

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bally Technologies.

Simple Questions from Databases and OS, DS and Algo. Quiz Questions in 2nd round interview.

Questions like : Swap two numbers, Difference B/w Thread and processes etc.

Company Profile

Software Release Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bally Technologies in June 2013.

There was a phone interview , skills test relating to the scripting knowledge,2 one to one interview one for scripting and linux side expertise , scm concepts as branching, merging , changelist tools, etc..... and one for windows expertise ASP.net , database, etc.....

Interview Questions
    • If there is a WinDifff tool which generates output from changelists of two versions as following files were Identical files , deleted files , added files from Version A to version B what is the logic behind it?   Answer Question
    My hiring manager was Very tough negotiator.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bally Technologies in November 2012.

First-a-technical-phone-interview w/ manager: definitions-pertaining-to-the-graphics-nature-of-the-position-such-as-description-of-anti-aliasing-and-culling, as-well-as-on-paper-algortihms-such-as-a-random-number-range-function. Also-spoken-design-questions-where-they-described-a-scenario-and-asked-for-a-design-solution.

Second-was-a-timed-email-test-that-was-a-maxium-of-4hrs. The-time-it-took-to-complete-and-algorithm-corrrectness-mattered-but-syntax-correctness-was-not-entirely-necessary-but-no-pseudocode. I-asked-for-a-few-days-time-to-prepare-and-the-manager-was-okay-with-that. What-came-was-4-relatively-simple-questions-about-memory-allocation-and-bit-manipulation-and-a-card-shuffling-algorithm-which-I-was-able-complete-in-45min-due-to-my-previous-preparation.

Third-was-a-personality-phone-interview-with-the-manager-and-two-others-on-the-team. I-gave-them-my-background. They-asked-the-usual-questions-such-as-why-i-want-to-work-for-them-and-what-kind-of-scenarios-I-had-been-in-which-prompted-STAR-stories. They-also-asked-questions-that-dealt-with-their-environment-such-as-"Can-you-handle-dealing-with-argumentative-people?"-and-"This-isn't-like-your-previous-work-experience-so-how-do-we-know-you-wont-get-bored-and-leave-after-a-year-or-two?". Lastly-they-asked-if-I-had-any-questions-of-my-own-which prompted-me-to show-my-knowledge-of-"what-I-know"-and-"what-I-know-they-do". It- was-meant-to-be-a-40-min-phone-call-but-they-seemed-to-like-me-so-we-ended-up-over-an-hour. They-called-back-5min-later-and-asked-when-was-a-good-time-to-fly-me-in.

When-I-came-in-for-the-face-to-face-interview-they-gave-me-a-tour-which-was-a-good-time-for-me-asking-questions-that-showed-my-knowledge-and-a-passion-for-my-profession-and-make-them-feel-like-I-am-already-preparing-for-my-tasks. When-we-got-to-their-questions-which-were-basic-problem-solving-questions-some-math-questions-GLSL-syntax-questions-and-some-advanced-C++-questions. I-did-need-help-through-most-of-them-but--knew-it-was-important-not-to-give-up-so-I-worked-them-all-out. Also-some-of-the-questions-seemed-like-the-group-came-up-with-them-the-day-before-so-some-of-them-were-flawed-which-is-partially-why-I-HAD-to-get-help.

We-did-lunch-and-I-made-the-conscious-decision-to-ride-with-the-guy-that-was-by-himself-so-I-could-ask-him-how-I-was-doing-so-far. He-said-that-he-thought-I-was-better-than-most-candidates-which-I-thought-was-funny-because-I-felt-I-was-doing-terrible-because-i-needed-help-too-often. He-said-the-biggest-advantage-I-had-over-other-candidates-was-that-I-was-being-completely-honest-about-what-I-knew-and-didn't-know. Other-candidates-would-get-nervous-when-they-didn't-know-something-fearing-it-lose-them-the-job-so-they-would-try-to-act-like-they-knew-a-certain-subject-when-they-obviously-did-not.

During-lunch-the-manager-did-surprise-me-with-opinion-questions-such-as-time-based-vs-frame-based-animations-and-static-vs-dynamic-libraries. While-I-we-were-driving-back-from-lunch-I-asked-the-teammate-I-rode-with-if-there-was-around-two. He-said-he-didn't-know-and-that-it-was-all-by-ear. I-told-him-that-I-was-expecting-there-to-have-been-more-design-and-structure-questions. It-seemed-that-he-liked-me-and-I-think-he-might-have-influenced-the-rest-of-the-day-because-after-lunch-we-came-back-and-did-another-round-of-questions-which-were-software-design-and-data-structure-questions.

The-day-ended-around-4pm-or-so. I-asked-another-teammate-in-private-how-I-did-and-he-said-"You-did-good-because-those-werent-easy-questions-and-even-though-you-needed-some-help-you-figured-the-rest-on-your-own". The-manager-called-me into-his-office-after-that-and-told-me-the-hiring-decision-was-up-to-his-team-and-they-would-like-to-work-with-me. He-presented-the-offer-letter.

Interview Questions
    • Three black boxes that release one item in their content at the pull of a lever. They are labeled "Apples", "Oranges", and "Apples & Oranges". They are mislabeled, with all labels belonging to another one of the boxes. By only pulling any two levers once, how do you decide which labels go to the correct box?   View Answer
    No negotiations

Media Tech II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bally Technologies in November 2012.

Applied in July 2012 online. Got recruiter interview in Sept. 2012 which was suppose lead to one-on-one but job put on hold. Received call from same recruiter who asked same questions as in Sept. Had it submit 2 animation tests around Thankgiving. Got 2 separate day-long interviews at studio (1 team, 1 group, 1 one-on-one) in Nov. 2012. Finally got an offer in Dec. Had background, drug test. Hired in late Jan. 2013.

Interview Questions
    Verbally asked to get 3D software package with my deal. Never received software since employed at Ballys.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bally Technologies in May 2012.

Hiring process is slow if you need H1 sponsorship. Guys looking for new H1 sponsorship dont rely on Bally that they will apply your H1 in time even if they recieve all your documents well ahead of time. Finally they submitted my application to USCIS 1 day after the quota has closed and told me that quota for H1 is full we will try next year if position is still open. I dont know if it was a coincidence but I still doubt Bally's intentions on hiring me. This was my experience hope this helps you and you dont make the mistake I made.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Bally Technologies in March 2012.

The process was somewhat spotty

N/A

Odd Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bally Technologies in July 2011.

Several interviews, one with about 10 different people at one time. Had lots of technical questions that had nothing to do with the job.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a lot of questions about technology, including a few trick ones.   Answer Question
    Offered job on paper no negotiation.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bally Technologies in June 2011.

I was approached by an HR rep from Ballys. I spoke to her in the initial screening and then I spoke with the hiring manager. After the phone screening, I was flown to Las Vegas for a face to face interview and tour. The process wasn't hard, but seemed to be very slow. Very low level technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • The division head, asked me for 5 things that I could do with a pencil.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bally Technologies in January 2011.

It was basically an easy interview. The people I spoke with were clueless in term of there computer skils

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online – interviewed at Bally Technologies in January 2011.

3 interviews were conducted. Nothing substantial to any of the questions. Just conversation. I'm guessing they were attempting to conduct a behavioral interview. However, I'm guessing (as it is in many places) the behavioral stuff was just a lazy way to conduct the interview. No specific or technical knowledge was sought. Just smile and be personable and apparently the interview goes fine....lol

Interview Questions
    • Not one challenging question. Search the 10 ten interview questions on google. These are what you'll find in the interview.   Answer Question
    typical. They offered....i countered.....they offered a compromise...I said i'd take it