Baltimore City Public School System

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Capital Specialist Interview

Human Capital Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System.

Interview Details – For this position, the hiring process consisted of a phone interview, a performance task, 2 panel interviews, and reference checks, all over the course of three months. The length of time between each step ranged from 1-3 weeks. While the interviewers were nice, I felt as if it was a waste of my time, because the hiring manager decided not to hire me because I didn't have enough experience in a particular area. I'd have rather found this out earlier vs wasting three months of my time participating in tasks, interviews, etc.

Interview Question – What do you do to relieve stress?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process went relatively quick, management was very candid about the details of the role and expectations.

Interview Question – Most difficult situation as a manager   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was submitted at the rate I negotiated.

Secondary Math Teacher Interview

Secondary Math Teacher

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was hired through a program similar to Teach For America. It is called the Baltimore Teachers Residency. It is a good deal for someone who is looking to get certified in public education while earning a full salary. There are a couple of rounds of interviews, but these are not the most competitive. The first round is a written application, with 3 references as well as a whole bunch of legal documents for working with children. The second round is a phone interview. The third round is an on-site interview. I interviewed with 2 cities and was not accepted. Then, I was accepted to a third city, because they offered me a phone interview and after I told them I could not travel for another on-site interview, they accepted me off of the results of my phone interview. Make sure that you are curt and tough in your interview. This is about the only thing that they will look for in the interview. Many people who start teaching do not make it through the summer training, because they are not expecting teaching to be so physically draining. Most people quit after 1 year, even more quit after 2 years.

Interview Question – What would you do if students were taking out their cell phones in class?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Every teacher is offered a salary based off of their salary step.

Special Assistance Interview

Special Assistance

Interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System

Interview Details – Apply online; interview with a panel, and multiple one-on-one interviews with directors and potential colleagues

Interview Question – Describe a time when the goals for a project shifted - how did you approach and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Production Assistant
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System.

Interview Details – They contacted me almost immediately after I applied to set up an interview. They held first round and second round interviews and then made a decision.

Interview Question – What is your editing style?   Answer Question

Secondary Math Teacher Interview

Secondary Math Teacher

Interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System

Interview Details – I was placed in Baltimore as a secondary math teacher via Teach For America. I got my specific job placement at the summer hiring fair. The interview process was fairly quick. The then-principal explained what the philosophy of the brand new school was, and after a small handful of questions, I was hired.

Interview Question – What is you philosophy of education?   View Answer

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher
Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in June 2011.

Interview Details – The process was rather straightforward. Interviewees had to deliver a sample lesson plan that lasted anywhere from 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, the panel of interviewers ask a series of question based off of you lesson. Following this, the leadership staff of the school will brief you on what the culture and climate is for the particular school and will ask how you might handle a number of hypothetical situations. It was pretty simple.

Interview Question – How would you manage classroom behaviors knowing that our school does not believe in detention or suspensions? How will you manage to control your class?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't a negotiation phase.

High School Teacher Interview

High School Teacher
Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was hired based on my affiliation with the Teach for America organization. The principal wanted to know what I would do with students after school and what kind of clubs I would be willing to create. The interview also involved asking me a lot of questions about navigating relationships with other school personnel and staff. They want to know that you understand authority and who is in charge. Finally, it is important to understand that you are trying to work in an urban school that has a lot of students with difficult home lives. If you realize this gap and how it is going to effect your teaching you will be just fine.

Interview Question – I was asked, what kind of hobbies or interests do you have that will help you to be successful in your professional work.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negation phase and I was told to accept the first offer I was given. This includes salary.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Special Education Teacher
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in June 2008.

Interview Details – find a school and interview with the principal, that way they can request your name through HR, otherwise you will never get a phone call. Make sure you are certified otherwise you could get an offer but if you do not meet highly qualified status they will place you as a surplus.

Interview Question – there really arent, they just need A BODY in the classroom   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there's none,, the first year they will try to keep you happy, but after that they will take advantage of your generosity

Very Easy Interview

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Teacher, Secondary School
Baltimore, MD

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in July 2010.

Interview Details – I enjoyed the interview for the job. Wished they had given further details. The interviewer was well composed and nice. I seemed under-qualified for the position due to my lack of current certification to teach, so the position was not offered to me, understandably so I suppose.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Baltimore City Public School System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baltimore City Public School System interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Baltimore City Public School System employees and interview candidates.