Baltimore City Public School System

www.baltimorecityschools.org

Baltimore City Public School System Interview Questions

2.8

Human Capital Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System.

For this position, the hiring process consisted of a phone interview, a performance task, 2 panel interviews, and reference checks, all over the course of three months. The length of time between each step ranged from 1-3 weeks. While the interviewers were nice, I felt as if it was a waste of my time, because the hiring manager decided not to hire me because I didn't have enough experience in a particular area. I'd have rather found this out earlier vs wasting three months of my time participating in tasks, interviews, etc.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in March 2014.

Interview process went relatively quick, management was very candid about the details of the role and expectations.

Interview Questions
    I was submitted at the rate I negotiated.

Special Assistance Interview

Apply online; interview with a panel, and multiple one-on-one interviews with directors and potential colleagues

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when the goals for a project shifted - how did you approach and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System.

They contacted me almost immediately after I applied to set up an interview. They held first round and second round interviews and then made a decision.

Secondary Math Teacher Interview

I was placed in Baltimore as a secondary math teacher via Teach For America. I got my specific job placement at the summer hiring fair. The interview process was fairly quick. The then-principal explained what the philosophy of the brand new school was, and after a small handful of questions, I was hired.

Secondary Math Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in April 2013.

I was hired through a program similar to Teach For America. It is called the Baltimore Teachers Residency. It is a good deal for someone who is looking to get certified in public education while earning a full salary. There are a couple of rounds of interviews, but these are not the most competitive. The first round is a written application, with 3 references as well as a whole bunch of legal documents for working with children. The second round is a phone interview. The third round is an on-site interview. I interviewed with 2 cities and was not accepted. Then, I was accepted to a third city, because they offered me a phone interview and after I told them I could not travel for another on-site interview, they accepted me off of the results of my phone interview. Make sure that you are curt and tough in your interview. This is about the only thing that they will look for in the interview. Many people who start teaching do not make it through the summer training, because they are not expecting teaching to be so physically draining. Most people quit after 1 year, even more quit after 2 years.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if students were taking out their cell phones in class?   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. Every teacher is offered a salary based off of their salary step.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in June 2011.

I was hired based on my affiliation with the Teach for America organization. The principal wanted to know what I would do with students after school and what kind of clubs I would be willing to create. The interview also involved asking me a lot of questions about navigating relationships with other school personnel and staff. They want to know that you understand authority and who is in charge. Finally, it is important to understand that you are trying to work in an urban school that has a lot of students with difficult home lives. If you realize this gap and how it is going to effect your teaching you will be just fine.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked, what kind of hobbies or interests do you have that will help you to be successful in your professional work.   View Answer
    There was no negation phase and I was told to accept the first offer I was given. This includes salary.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in June 2011.

The process was rather straightforward. Interviewees had to deliver a sample lesson plan that lasted anywhere from 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, the panel of interviewers ask a series of question based off of you lesson. Following this, the leadership staff of the school will brief you on what the culture and climate is for the particular school and will ask how you might handle a number of hypothetical situations. It was pretty simple.

Interview Questions
    • How would you manage classroom behaviors knowing that our school does not believe in detention or suspensions? How will you manage to control your class?   Answer Question
    There wasn't a negotiation phase.

Teacher, Secondary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in July 2010.

I enjoyed the interview for the job. Wished they had given further details. The interviewer was well composed and nice. I seemed under-qualified for the position due to my lack of current certification to teach, so the position was not offered to me, understandably so I suppose.

Staff Specialist Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Baltimore City Public School System in December 2009.

I was contacted with strictly via email and asked to make the trip to interview for the position within a week. I felt really positive about the interview with the person I had been in contact with only via email and she invited me to come back the next day to meet with her boss. However, due to his busy schedule, the interview was cancelled about 3-4 hours in advance of the meeting. Instead of interview 2, I was asked to complete two assignments over the weekend. I heard about 2 weeks later that they were moving forward with the other 2 candidates. Although it required a lot of work, it has helped me prepare for subsequent interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Assignment 1 - Based on the information provided in our interview, what did I see as the top 10 priorities, in order from highest to lowest, for the department.   Answer Question