Baltimore County Public Schools Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Baltimore County Public Schools

Special Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Baltimore County Public Schools (Baltimore, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted a resume in application to a pool candidate session and had a quick interview during the last pool interview session and I met with a principal from a local elementary school. I have been trying to work full time for Baltimore County for the last three years.

Interview Questions

• How do you reach difficult students?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Baltimore County Public Schools.

Interview

They were prompt. It was a panel interview. I did not feel as if the job description adequately conveyed what the position required. I had to fill out a lengthy application (which I think could have been done online) and they were unwilling to budge on interview times. It was the first day of school in the district I was employed in at the time.

Interview Questions

• What is your comprehensive technology plan for the next five years?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Baltimore County Public Schools.

Interview

I skipped the curriculum interview and went right to the individual school (I had a contact who got me through the door) so I can't speak to what goes on at the top. But at the school level it's mostly standard education questions. What's your educational philosophy? How do you handle diversity in the classroom? Describe a lesson that went wrong? How do you use formative and summative assessment? Essentially, if you've paid any attention at all in your pedagogy courses you'll be fine; it's the standard questions you'd expect.

Interview Questions

• All questions were fairly straightforward. I do not recall anything being particularly tricky.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; salary scale.

Classroom Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Baltimore County Public Schools (Baltimore, MD) in August 2009.

Interview

The job was in a low income area and I was informed during the interview that no training from a "white" university will help me regardless of being trained as a school teacher. I took the job anyway because the pay was nice, and the assistant principal seemed to communicate better than the principal.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok leaving everyday knowing what kind of conditions these children go home too, or knowing that this isn't some movie where you are going to save kids?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate, but I think I could have if I had more experience in the area of salary negotiation.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Baltimore County Public Schools in July 2012.

Interview

Was scheduled for an interview and when I arrived they told it was only a a panel screen. I was given 12 questions to review beforehand. I was not asked to come back for an interview.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Baltimore County Public Schools in June 2012.

Interview

I went for a screening interview and was completely turned off by this district. When I first went in, I was told they were "running behind" on interviews, so it would be a longer wait. I felt like just another number on their list, people were coming in and out like a revolving door. Finally, when a woman came to get me, she said "I forget who I am out here for, something like...." Of course, that was the woman who was going to interview me (let alone she was a principal!) She took me back to a room with her and another woman. They asked basic questions about special education, which is what I was there for. I was interrupted multiple times by the blonde one (I forget her name) during my answers. For example, one question was "What is your experience with IEP's?" When I answered, she interrupted me and asked me to say what IEP stood for. I answered. She then asked me to define what ABA was. Again, I was caught off guard because those are very common terms in special education. This part lasted maybe 10 minutes. After that, I was told to wait for another woman, who will go into more detail about what specific job openings there are. I waited another 10-15 minutes for this woman. When I finally arrived at her office, she explained to me that my previous two interviewers thought I knew my stuff (about special education) but I was too "arrogant and annoyed at their questions." I almost fell over in my chair. She explained that I used too many acronyms, such as IEP. At this point, I was ready for this interview to be over. She explained that she would still send my resume out to principals, but if I interview with them, I need to be more "down to earth". I agreed (just so I could get out of there) and will never return. I assumed that since I was applying for a special education position, I would be interviewing with people who have that background. If you do interview, dumb everything down! The blonde woman was very unfriendly, rude and not welcoming. It is not my fault that I used acronyms that she didn't understand (and asked IN the question!) I will not be working for a district that thinks I am arrogant. I have never been called that in my life (although I know that sounds arrogant :) ). PS: Just this morning I was called back by another MD SD for a second interview with the principal, so clearly they liked me. I have a feeling the blonde woman would have found something wrong with me no matter what.

Interview Questions

Unprofessional hiring staff and bad gut feeling. I felt like more of a "have to get this done" than being treated like a person.