Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Experience Lead

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted an application online, received a call a few days later to come in for an interview. I was on vacation at the time, they were very accommodating waiting until I came home to schedule a time to come in. One on one interview. You are now also required to do a role play with another associate, but I was not when I was hired.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. I don't recall anything very unusual. Biggest weakness was probably the most difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2012.

Interview Details – Promoted within the company. Definitely bring to plate measurable work performance; i.e. what you have contributed to a team that lead to success. Being able to influence store sales through KPI's (Key Performance Indicators).

Interview Question – Not really any particular question but in general being able to have a positive outlook.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Always check salaries on Glassdoor and ask for more as you will be talked down.

Very Easy Interview

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was called in to interview for a lead position. When I arrived the manager was not ready for me. We interviewed in the middle of the mall, and about 2 minutes into the interview she stated that she no longer had the lead position available but wanted to offer me a part time cashier position.

I left my current job early for that interview and wasted time only to be offered a job way below what I was looking for when I already have a full time management job. The interviewer stated she had not taken the time to read my application to know what I had applied for or that I currently had a job.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

Interview Details – The manager called on my phone on one Wednesday and see if I'd like to have an interview with them on Thursday or Friday. I told them I'm not at San Francisco at the moment and if he was fine with a phone interview on Friday at 5pm. He said yes. On Friday, I left my job early and waited for his call for 30 minutes, then I called him instead. He said he was unprofessional that he HAD FORGOTTEN and would like to reschedule it the next Wednesday. He ask me to call him in case he forget again. I called him on at 6 like we said on Wednesday but couldn't reach him. I called again, but he's co-worker said he has just left because he's off.... He forgot AGAIN!! then I get to talk to another manager. She said she was sorry about what happened but the position just got filled in on the same day that the other manager supposed to interview me....BAD experience!!

Very Easy Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was astonishingly unprofessional. The woman who interviewed me was exceedingly vapid and giggly and it was hard to keep her on topic, she seemed to want to talk about my school experiences in Media. I tried hard to steer discussions about TV technology into things relevant to the job, such as leadership and making plans but without much success.

To make matters worse I don't think they even took my application at all seriously, only after an hour or so of vacuous questions did she think it might be worth mentioning that not only was the company not interested in paying me the (relatively low) amount that I had asked, they were not even willing to pay me anywhere near the bare-minimum amount I had explicitly indicated that I was willing to take the position for! They wanted to pay me 50 cents more than minimum wage for a management job! I have five years of relevant experience!

They also indicated that the job required hours dramatically different from what I had indicated that I could work. I terminated the interview as politely as I could and hinted that I was not pleased that I had driven a half-hour to this location only to have my time wasted; the hint seemed to sail right over her head.

When I indicated that I could not accept the offer she tried to interest me in a part-time minimum wage job as a cashier. I was very insulted and told her that I was doing a better job at the moment at one of her competitors, she then made the suggestion that I could take this job and continue my existing job part-time. In addition to being simply bizarre the suggestion was flagrantly unethical and asked me to commit an obvious conflict of interest. This raises all kinds of disturbing questions about the ethical standards of the company and makes me wonder if they care at all about their associates or customers.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you had to let down a customer   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Offer made was not at all attractive:
Insultingly low offer of pay, 25% less than what I had offered as bare minimum acceptable pay.
Asked to agree to hours I had explicitly indicated prior to interview I could not work.
Description of job made by interviewer materially differed from description posted in taleo.
Unprofessional conduct of the interviewer turned me off of working with the company.

Metairie, LA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of first interview with General Manager over the telephone. First in-person interview was with the Customer Experience Manager (direct supervisor), followed by an interview with the General Manager as well as the District Manager (DM not usually present, but happened to be visiting the store).

Interview Questions

• Describe what you would change at your current place of employment.   Answer Question
  • What can you bring to the company as an outside hire and why should we choose you over an inside promotion?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Considerable negotiable range.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!