Banana Republic Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

The entire application/interview process took one week. I applied online; however, since Banana Republic, and any Gap store for that matter, gets so many applications; the trick is to ALSO hand in your resume and cover letter to the manager in store a couple days later, because that's when I scheduled an interview. (If not for that, I don't think I would've been contacted any time soon. Also try to go in when the store isn't busy). I scheduled my interview for a few days later, and when I went in I found it was a 1:1 interview. The manager was incredibly nice and asked me some basic questions. He then had me do a floor activity where I had to put an outfit together that easily transitions from work to a night out into town. I gathered the garments together, making sure it was something I'd actually see in a BR catalog. (Do your research beforehand)! He then told me he'd offer $9.25 an hour and we discussed my availability. Right after he offered me the job and asked if I would accept. I thought it would take longer to review my interview and resume, so I was surprised that he offered so quickly. I'm excited to start work!

Interview Questions
    • -Describe a time where you provided excellent customer service.
      -What was on experience in which you had to influence one of your peers.
        View Answer
    I didn't negotiate the price, because this would be my first job and $9.25 is a great rate already. If you had prior retail experience, you could definitely negotiate.

Brand Ambassador Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Banana Republic.

I was contacted by the General Manager and we scheduled an interview for two weeks from our phone conversation. I showed up and everyone working was very friendly. The General Manager and I walked to a Starbucks nearby, where we sat down at a table and had a very comfortable but still formal interview. I was very impressed by her demeanor, which was very charismatic but professional. She asked me pretty well-expected interview questions for about 30 minutes and then said that they were very interested in hiring me. She told me they would have to run a background check on me but as soon as that was clear, they would call me in for orientation. She contacted me a few days later with the okay and I began orientation that week!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of when you think about Banana Republic?   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2014.

Process did not take that long. I applied online, got a call the next day. Went in for an interview the same day they called me, and the next day they called me back and offered me a position. I even had my orientation the same day, and the next day I was training. So far I like it, if they really serious the hiring process is fast. Which is good if you need a job and quick and dont want to wait weeks for an answer.

Interview Questions
    They are really good with negotiation, but it also depends on your experience. I asked them for $10 (have worked at 2 macys, a kohls, and at davids bridal) and when they offered me a job it was for $10 hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2014.

Applying online for Sales Associate Position 9/5. Received a call on 9/8 asking if I could come in for a group interview on 9/12 but I was out of town and couldn't make It. Was told I'd be called back 9/12 after group interviews to set up either a one on one or group interview. Was called 9/12 at 7pm to schedule interview for Sunday 9/14. Interview went awesome! Was told I'd hear from hiring manager by 9/15 by 5pm. Received a call at 3pm with job offer for 13.25 (I told them my expected salary was 13). The entire process was simple, quick, and everyone has been very nice so far. Was asked to come in 9/16 for Orientation, but I couldn't make it. So I will be attending orientation 9/24 and starting training the following day and will begin work on the following Monday. Very applicable and relevant questions were asked: Where do you see yourself in 3 years? What does customer service mean to you? Describe to me a time where you had to go above and beyond in a difficult situation in order to achieve amazing customer service. Where does your personal style come from? How do you keep up with fashion trends?

Interview Questions
    • Where does your personal style come from?   View Answer
    I was asked what my expected salary was in the interview and I said 13/hr but that I was possibly open for some flexibility. When I received the call and was extended a job offer, I was told that the usual starting pay was 10.50, but because of my experience and my eagerness to move up quickly with the company, they extended a 13.25/ hr offer to me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. Two days later I got a call to schedule an interview. A few days later I had two interviews. Dressed professionally, but kept in mind Banana Republic's style. Interviews were one on one with basic interview questions and lasted around 30 minutes each. Two days after that, I got a call with an offer.

Banana Republic, Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2014.

I applied online and got a phone call two weeks later asking to schedule a group interview. Many time slots at the location I was applying at but the interview would take place at a mall not the town center where I applied.

Banana Republic Stock Supervisor Interview

Interviewed with a GM of another store. Asked leadership based questions. Asked questions regarding pass work experience and current work experience. Asked for me to provide many examples. Was an overall smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to demonstrate the ability to lead a team that was not functioning well?   Answer Question

Merchandise Presentation Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Had two one-on-one interviews with different managers. The interviews seemed to go well, but I had to initiate contact every time I wanted to know something. They called me initially saying that they were interested in an interview, and three weeks passed before I called them saying that I would like to set something up. They told me after my interviews that it would be two weeks before they would make a decision. I called two and a half weeks later to ask about progress and they said the manager was out of town and I would be called back in two days. A full month after my interviews, I got an automated email saying that I wasn't chosen for the position. After two interviews, I expect at least a quick phone call. I was very disappointed with their timeliness, communication, and how impersonal everything was. I would not apply for another position with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see your career in 5 years?   View Answer

Brand Ambassador Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Submitted an application online, was called shortly to schedule a phone interview and an in person interview! Phone interview was quite basic, questions about job history and work attitude. In person interview was more fun, we walked the floor and discussed product and then put together an outfit for a demanding customer. I would recommend visiting the store beforehand and mentally putting together a variety of outfits for men/women.

No negotiation.

Brand Ambassador Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

Went for an interview for a sales associate and found out i was being interviewed for an ambassador position. No idea if there's any difference. I read from review here and was prepared to do a group interview. However, I went to the store and I was the only one. The hiring manager was nice and professional. Asked me a lot of situational questions about customer service, bad and good experience, etc. I was told that if i wait, they should call me. I received a call on the 5th day with an offer. I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Would you go back to the store that you had a bad experience with if they give you a huge discount?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Was told upfront what the salary would be and that after 6 months, it would go up.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!