Banana Republic

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
302 candidate interviews

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2009.

Interview Details – I went in and asked for holiday/part time work from the copley mall store. they gave me an app and got me an interview right away. I did a group interview first. the manager was nice and professional- it seemed organized. i got a call two days later that they wanted me to come in for the second interview- which is the one before they hire you. I learned that saturdays are madatory and that after 80 days they decide if they will make you part time from holiday work. The discount is great and people are nice. I am looking forward to starting work soon

Interview Question – when was the last time you had to resolve a conflict and all questions were to be answred 'briefly'   Answer Question

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was called in for a group interview, and they asked me a number of questions. It was friendly and I liked it.

Interview Question – What would you do if you saw someone doing something wrong?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. There were 7 of us, and 2 of the managers were "grading." The questions they asked were:

1) Tell me about yourself.
2) Has there been a time where you worked as a team and it didn't really work well? What did you do to overcome it.
3) Was there a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something you weren't assigned to do? Explain.
4) Was there a time in your life you were extremely busy and had many tasks? If so, tell us how you prioritized what to do first.
5) In one word, describe to us how you perceive Banana Republic Clothing.

I don't remember I think there was another question, but these questions were hard!! for me of course only. All the other group people answered it like a breeze because they had retail work experience at like BR, Macy's and A&F... some people just love to brag. Anyways, I felt over dressed because people wore casual things, like a nice silk shirt with pants... well I don't know this was my first ever interview. They think their clothing is "professional." The managers commented if they liked your work ethic... but obviously I couldn't answer HALF their questions so I based stuff on school work though because they let you do that. Well, I don't think I will get the job.. but here was my experience. Hope you do well in your interview, and just be prepared for these questions; they don't give you time to think... just sit in the middle because they have you sit in a circle like you're in an AA meeting. Ahhhhhh :(

Interview Question – Was there ever a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something that wasn't yours to do? Explain.   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Question – Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Lead Interview

Customer Experience Lead
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2012.

Interview Details – Promoted within the company. Definitely bring to plate measurable work performance; i.e. what you have contributed to a team that lead to success. Being able to influence store sales through KPI's (Key Performance Indicators).

Interview Question – Not really any particular question but in general being able to have a positive outlook.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Always check salaries on Glassdoor and ask for more as you will be talked down.

General Manager Interview

General Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interview with Recruiter
Interview with District Manager
Interview with peer group
Interview with Regional District Manager

Interview Question – All questions where skill base and self examing. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiter offer a salary. It was more than I was making and I accepted.

Brand Ambassador Interview

Brand Ambassador
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in December 2013.

Interview Details – Sat me down in the back office.

Tell me about yourself?

How have you dealt with an unruly customer?

Why do you want to to work at Banana republic?

How does your previous experience benefit the Banana Republic work place.

How have you displayed good customer service?

Have you ever failed to give good Customer Service? How did you fix the problem?

What is one of your most valued traits?

What is something negative about you?

Interview Question – How have you failed to give good Customer Service? Pause... waited for answer How did you fix the problem?

Had me try to put together a men's outfit with a clothing piece the manager chose.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for 10 dollars an hour. They offered me 9.00 with no other offers.

CEM Interview

CEM

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

Interview Details – Straightforward usual retail interview.

Interview Question – Nothing challenging. Just need to be able to speak to experience   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call a week and a half later to come in for an interview. I assumed it would be a one-on-one interview but it was actually a group interview and none of us were informed about that until we were there. There was a group of 6 of us in total being interviewed by the manager and assistant manager of the store. You had to first introduce yourself and why you applied to work at Banana Republic. They then asked typical retail interview questions and went along the line and answered one by one. It was hard if you were one of the last to answer to think of something that hadn't already been said by the others. At the end they said they were going to contact the successful people by the end of that day. I received a call and accepted the offer. Two other people also got offered jobs and accepted them, so 3 out of the 6 at the interview were hired.

Interview Question – Banana Republic sales associates are known as Brand Ambassadors. How would you describe a brand ambassador?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic interview questions and advice. All 302 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.