Banana Republic

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
302 candidate interviews

Stony Point, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and Store manager called me after about 2 weeks. She asked me if I am still interested and my availability, if I can work in early morning shift sometimes (around 5 a.m) and set a time for interview in 2 days. The interview was one-to-one and took around 1hour including general questions, situational questions and role play. After the interview she asked for my references. They call me one week after interview and offer me the job.

Interview Question – - What did u like and do not like about your last two jobs? (separate)
- Why banana public?
- Tell me a situation that you help other people initiative.
- When were you given a task with little or no direction and what did you do?
- Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.
- What is the process of making decision for you.
- Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
- Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?
- What did you like and do not like in your past 2 previous time?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nonnegotiable.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

Interview Details – You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Question – When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call a couple days later. I scheduled an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It took about 15-20 minutes. He had basic questions about my work experience, background, what I liked about the brand, etc. He said there is usually a second interview but their general manager was gone for the week so we skipped that and just did the in-person interview. I heard back by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Where do you get your fashion inspiration?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided that retail wasn't really what I was interested in doing at that point.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, as well as called and introduced myself to the manager. She called me soon after to ask about an interview. She did not mention that the interview was a group interview, with myself and one other girl present. The questions weren't that difficult: mostly about what part of the job I thought was the most important one, how I would balance organizing the store with offering customer support, etc.

Interview Question – How would you respond to a really rude customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate & Cashier Interview

Sales Associate & Cashier
Commerce, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I applied in person in early February. Surprisingly got a call for an interview 3 months later. I walked in and told the front desk person that I was there for an interview and they said that I should go look for the hiring manager ____. After I had found the hiring manager, I was told to go on the sales floor and just look around. Taking my knowledge from the other glassdoor reviews, I took the time to look around and mentally put outfits in my head together. As I was walking around, I noticed several other nicely groomed and freshly dressed individuals at which point I realized it was a group interview of 7 including myself. After about 10 minutes of awkwardly walking around, the hiring manager found each one of us and brought us to the lunch room where he gave us a group interview. Like everyone else said, anyone can answer at any time. Tip: Make sure to answer each and every question. After around 25 minutes of questions, we were told that the last part of our interview would be an activity portion in which we would have to act out a situation in which we were to assist a "customer" (being the hiring manager) in buying a new outfit. After I acted out my portion, I was told I could leave.

For all of you wondering just as I was, it goes interview, background check, job offer.

Interview Question – Where do you get your style inspiration from?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a call from the same person that called me for an interview. He said that the pay would be $9 and should I choose to accept it, I would need to attend the orientation the following week. No negotiation, you either take it or you leave it .

Scarsdale, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – One in person, group interview, by which managers and other associates analyzed speaking competance as well as ability to determine proper dress attire for both the workplace and the customer.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions related to previous team oriented experience and communication skills (both positive a negative experiences e.g. how to handle upset customer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable for entry level position.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – HIring and Interview process consisted of applying online, and one - two weeks later I received a call from the Customer Experience Manager of the store I applied to. Had an interview with him/her a couple days later. The second interview was with the General Manager of the store. Received a call about a week later offering the position.

Interview Question – Both interviews were very typical of an entry level position in retail. The most difficult part of the interview was not a question but I (sales associate) had to role play with the General Manager (a customer) in the store. The goal was to view my ability to interact with a customer and the goal was to upsell the customer into a better quality item and additional items like scarves, ties, hats, or belts.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for salary. Everybody was started at $9.00 and experience did not play a factor.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I entered the store and spoke with the Hiring Manager, I was told to come back after I sumbitted an application online to set up an interview. After completing the application online I was given a time for an interview. I came to the interview and was taken to the back room into the managerial office. I sat one on one with the hiring manager I spoke to only a few days before about the open position. The interview was more of a conversation as she asked about my interests, and what I went to school for. I was then asked my interest in Banana Republic and then further asked basic fashion questions.

Interview Question – If you see someone stealing something, should you say something to the customer?   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I was 30 minutes early and during the interview there were two other people. The interviewer started off introducing herself and then later asked us to introduce ourselves. It was somewhat of an ice breaker. As the interviewer was asking questions, anyone in the group was allowed to give an answer. Answering the questions wasn't in order which was good. I made sure to answer first since it shows that you are confident showing good potential. It took about 20 minutes and my interviewer was really friendly and approachable.

Interview Question – There was about 5-7 questions asked. I will only list the ones I remember:
1. Why should Banana Republic hire you?
2. Why did you choose to apply to Banana Republic?
3. Have you ever encountered having to multi-task from your previous jobs?
4. What were your previous job experiences?
5. Name a time when you didn't know anyone in your new job, how did you deal with it?
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic interview questions and advice. All 302 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.