Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
317 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview with hiring manager and general manager. Offered job within 2 weeks. They asked questions such as a time where you received both good and bad customer service. They wanted to know how you would have handled the bad situation differently.

Interview Question – all basic best and worst experience type questions   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Estero, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted by application online and a few months later received a call for an interview at the store. I arrived early and I was called into the back along with other candidates for a group interview. It was very laid back and the interviewer just asked the standard questions like tell us about yourself and a time when you went above and beyond for a customer. They also asked to name both a positive and negative experience I've encountered as a customer at other businesses. Once the interview was over they thanked us for coming and about a day later I received a call with a job offer. Overall it was a very positive experience and a fun place to work.

Interview Question – If you could go back and do one thing differently at your old job what would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told they start everyone at $8.50 but that there is always opportunities for promotions and bonuses

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Interview Details – It was a very short half hour interview. It was me and another girl. We both looked very professional and sat upright. The manager of the store asked us simple questions, "Tell me about yourself, what makes you think you're qualified for the job, what past experiences have made you think you can qualify" and simple things like that. I just made sure to do some research on the company incase they asked us about our thoughts on it. Which they did. Just opinion stuff, nothing about trivia.

Interview Question – "What does Banana Republic mean to you?"
"What does style mean to you?"
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They immediately offered me a $10 hourly pay despite this being my first job ever.

Stony Point, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

Interview Details – You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Question – When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, as well as called and introduced myself to the manager. She called me soon after to ask about an interview. She did not mention that the interview was a group interview, with myself and one other girl present. The questions weren't that difficult: mostly about what part of the job I thought was the most important one, how I would balance organizing the store with offering customer support, etc.

Interview Question – How would you respond to a really rude customer?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call a couple days later. I scheduled an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It took about 15-20 minutes. He had basic questions about my work experience, background, what I liked about the brand, etc. He said there is usually a second interview but their general manager was gone for the week so we skipped that and just did the in-person interview. I heard back by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Where do you get your fashion inspiration?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided that retail wasn't really what I was interested in doing at that point.

Sales Associate & Cashier Interview

Sales Associate & Cashier
Commerce, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I applied in person in early February. Surprisingly got a call for an interview 3 months later. I walked in and told the front desk person that I was there for an interview and they said that I should go look for the hiring manager ____. After I had found the hiring manager, I was told to go on the sales floor and just look around. Taking my knowledge from the other glassdoor reviews, I took the time to look around and mentally put outfits in my head together. As I was walking around, I noticed several other nicely groomed and freshly dressed individuals at which point I realized it was a group interview of 7 including myself. After about 10 minutes of awkwardly walking around, the hiring manager found each one of us and brought us to the lunch room where he gave us a group interview. Like everyone else said, anyone can answer at any time. Tip: Make sure to answer each and every question. After around 25 minutes of questions, we were told that the last part of our interview would be an activity portion in which we would have to act out a situation in which we were to assist a "customer" (being the hiring manager) in buying a new outfit. After I acted out my portion, I was told I could leave.

For all of you wondering just as I was, it goes interview, background check, job offer.

Interview Question – Where do you get your style inspiration from?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a call from the same person that called me for an interview. He said that the pay would be $9 and should I choose to accept it, I would need to attend the orientation the following week. No negotiation, you either take it or you leave it .

Scarsdale, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – One in person, group interview, by which managers and other associates analyzed speaking competance as well as ability to determine proper dress attire for both the workplace and the customer.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions related to previous team oriented experience and communication skills (both positive a negative experiences e.g. how to handle upset customer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable for entry level position.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – HIring and Interview process consisted of applying online, and one - two weeks later I received a call from the Customer Experience Manager of the store I applied to. Had an interview with him/her a couple days later. The second interview was with the General Manager of the store. Received a call about a week later offering the position.

Interview Question – Both interviews were very typical of an entry level position in retail. The most difficult part of the interview was not a question but I (sales associate) had to role play with the General Manager (a customer) in the store. The goal was to view my ability to interact with a customer and the goal was to upsell the customer into a better quality item and additional items like scarves, ties, hats, or belts.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for salary. Everybody was started at $9.00 and experience did not play a factor.