Banana Republic Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

I applied online. Almost 2 weeks later, I was invited to a group interview. Everyone was asked very general behavioral and background questions, including availability, what style means to you, and why Banana Republic. Then, a one on one interview followed 2 days later. Very simliar questions, only with a different store manager this time. Offer and acceptance over next two days (~ 3 week process). Extremely friendly interviewers and comfortable, outside interview environment.

Interview Questions

• What piece of clothing most represents you and your style? Why? How would you sell that piece of clothing?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable salary. I did politely ask once offered the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

I walked in my very first time into a Banana Republic and was greeted by one of the managers. I asked if they were hiring and she gave me a piece of paper on how to apply. I got an email like a day or two later asking if i was would like to come by on Monday for an interview. Once Monday rolled around and I was waiting for the interview to start we were told to look around the store (We had to wait for everyone to get there.) We then went down stairs and sat at a table. There was 3 others plus myself in the group interview. The manager didn't bring any paperwork to write down and the interview was very informal and more like a group conversation. I was not expecting that at all and it was very laid back and it didn't make me nervous. I then got a call a day or two later with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep up with the latest fashion and trends?   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Easy group interview with manager Julie Arellano, very friendly lady. There were 4 others . Asked easy questions about experience. And we were asked to put together an outfit. It was fun.

Interview Questions

• Be willing to give the answers they want to hear. Do not seem uninterested   Answer Question

Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic (Tampa, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Very friendly and relaxed interview. Group interview with two other candidates. Manager discussed the company values and the store itself. Was asked to talk about myself and asked "Why Banana Republoc?"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for salary which is kind of upsetting considering the offer is pretty low. Beggars can't be choosers though.

Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2014.

Interview

Received a call and asked me questions about my application. Asked about my hours and explained what i wanted and when i was available. Then asked if I could come in for an interview. The interview was ok but person was rude.

Interview Questions

pay too low and received a better offer elsewhere

Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Vero Beach, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied on a Thursday morning and later that day I got a call that afternoon from the manager to set up an interview. The following Tuesday I came to the store to meet with the manager. The interview itself was very quick. She let me know about the company and the kind of people she was looking for. We talked about availability and who I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult but the one that stood out was: What does Joy mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. I wanted a certain rate but because it was seasonal that wasn't possible.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received a call to set up an interview about 5 days later. The manager was really professional when he called. He thanked me for my application and asked me to come in two days later for an interview. He let me know just to come dressed in business casual and to come prepared for a group or solo interview, depending on how many other applicants were available at the time. At the time of the interview the manager sat down with me and the 2 other applicants in the break room and led us in a very conversational group interview, but made clear the goals of the store and the type of approach they appreciated from their team - professional, creative, helpful, accountable, goal-oriented, and teachable. He called 2 days later to congratulate me and offer me the job. The manager was very professional from start to finish. I look forward to working with him.

Interview Questions

• The questions were clear and expected. He asked why we'd applied to Banana Republic, what example of good customer service we share from experience and how we'd handled a difficult situation in the past, if we considered ourselves goal-oriented and how we strove to reach a goal in the past, what the role of accountability was like in the work environment, and then he gave us each a fake client profile to go put together an outfit for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

He offered one hourly rate and because it was lower than I requested or expected, I asked if I could think about it and speak with my husband. He said they'd really love to have me and offered slightly higher, which he explained was the cap for seasonal employees in the region. I called him back a few hours later to accept. I'd recommend being honest about what will and won't work for you.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

The entire application/interview process took one week. I applied online; however, since Banana Republic, and any Gap store for that matter, gets so many applications; the trick is to ALSO hand in your resume and cover letter to the manager in store a couple days later, because that's when I scheduled an interview. (If not for that, I don't think I would've been contacted any time soon. Also try to go in when the store isn't busy). I scheduled my interview for a few days later, and when I went in I found it was a 1:1 interview. The manager was incredibly nice and asked me some basic questions. He then had me do a floor activity where I had to put an outfit together that easily transitions from work to a night out into town. I gathered the garments together, making sure it was something I'd actually see in a BR catalog. (Do your research beforehand)! He then told me he'd offer $9.25 an hour and we discussed my availability. Right after he offered me the job and asked if I would accept. I thought it would take longer to review my interview and resume, so I was surprised that he offered so quickly. I'm excited to start work!

Interview Questions

• -Describe a time where you provided excellent customer service.
      -What was on experience in which you had to influence one of your peers.

1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate the price, because this would be my first job and $9.25 is a great rate already. If you had prior retail experience, you could definitely negotiate.

Brand Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

I was contacted by the General Manager and we scheduled an interview for two weeks from our phone conversation. I showed up and everyone working was very friendly. The General Manager and I walked to a Starbucks nearby, where we sat down at a table and had a very comfortable but still formal interview. I was very impressed by her demeanor, which was very charismatic but professional. She asked me pretty well-expected interview questions for about 30 minutes and then said that they were very interested in hiring me. She told me they would have to run a background check on me but as soon as that was clear, they would call me in for orientation. She contacted me a few days later with the okay and I began orientation that week!

Interview Questions

• What do you think of when you think about Banana Republic?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Two days later I got a call to schedule an interview. A few days later I had two interviews. Dressed professionally, but kept in mind Banana Republic's style. Interviews were one on one with basic interview questions and lasted around 30 minutes each. Two days after that, I got a call with an offer.