Banana Republic

2.2

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

I initially applied online on Indeed, and two days later after applying I got a call for an interview for the following week. I was out of town on vacation that week, so I was told to call back to set up the interview the next week, which is what I did. And I've got to say, it was a very laid back and easy group interview. There were 3 other people, 2 who were older than me and had work experience, and one girl like me who did not have work experience and was going to be a junior in high school too. We answered 7 or so questions, taking turns going in a group circle. The manager was very nice and agreed with everything we had to say. He talked for a majority of the time to kind of break the ice too and he made jokes to keep us from being too nervous. Afterwards, we did a short activity where an employee pretended they were a customer, and we were supposed to help them find two outfits for two different occasions, which was fairly easy also. It was hands down the best interview I have been to. There's nothing to worry about if you are confident, tell truthful answers, and practice a little bit beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • I will post the questions I remember from the interview (might be missing 1 or 2, probably in the order they came in.)

1. Tell me a little about yourself.

2. What does Banana Republic mean to you?

3. What does integrity mean to you?

4. Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

5. Tell me about a time you had a difficult work situation and how you overcame it.

6. (This was a very unexpected question just fyi. This is how I remember the question, not entirely sure if it's worded the exact way it was asked.) You are throwing a party. You want to make your party better than the one your friend is throwing, and you have unlimited resources. What would you do to make your party the best?

(part 2 of previous question) What is something that could go wrong with the party, even though you have unlimited resources?

7. What mistake are you the most scared of making the first day?

Answer Question
    I accepted the job offer and attended orientation the next day. I put $8.00/hour on my application, but minimum wage here in California is $9.00/hour (I didn't know they raised it), so that was I settled on. I didn't attempt to negotiate further, since it was my first job offer. The manager told me if I stay with the company for a year he would raise my salary to $10.00/hour, which was great to hear.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Point, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Point, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer
    I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Sales Associate & Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Commerce, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Commerce, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied in person in early February. Surprisingly got a call for an interview 3 months later. I walked in and told the front desk person that I was there for an interview and they said that I should go look for the hiring manager ____. After I had found the hiring manager, I was told to go on the sales floor and just look around. Taking my knowledge from the other glassdoor reviews, I took the time to look around and mentally put outfits in my head together. As I was walking around, I noticed several other nicely groomed and freshly dressed individuals at which point I realized it was a group interview of 7 including myself. After about 10 minutes of awkwardly walking around, the hiring manager found each one of us and brought us to the lunch room where he gave us a group interview. Like everyone else said, anyone can answer at any time. Tip: Make sure to answer each and every question. After around 25 minutes of questions, we were told that the last part of our interview would be an activity portion in which we would have to act out a situation in which we were to assist a "customer" (being the hiring manager) in buying a new outfit. After I acted out my portion, I was told I could leave.

For all of you wondering just as I was, it goes interview, background check, job offer.

Interview Questions
    I got a call from the same person that called me for an interview. He said that the pay would be $9 and should I choose to accept it, I would need to attend the orientation the following week. No negotiation, you either take it or you leave it .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarsdale, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarsdale, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

One in person, group interview, by which managers and other associates analyzed speaking competance as well as ability to determine proper dress attire for both the workplace and the customer.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions related to previous team oriented experience and communication skills (both positive a negative experiences e.g. how to handle upset customer)   Answer Question
    Nonnegotiable for entry level position.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

HIring and Interview process consisted of applying online, and one - two weeks later I received a call from the Customer Experience Manager of the store I applied to. Had an interview with him/her a couple days later. The second interview was with the General Manager of the store. Received a call about a week later offering the position.

Interview Questions
    • Both interviews were very typical of an entry level position in retail. The most difficult part of the interview was not a question but I (sales associate) had to role play with the General Manager (a customer) in the store. The goal was to view my ability to interact with a customer and the goal was to upsell the customer into a better quality item and additional items like scarves, ties, hats, or belts.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for salary. Everybody was started at $9.00 and experience did not play a factor.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

This was one of the most disorganized interview processes I've ever been through. I applied online and got a call 2 or 3 days later asking for me to come in for an interview, which I did. It went well, was quite easy, and the interviewer seemed to hint that all that was left for me to be hired was logistical stuff, and that he would contact me in a few days to set up training. 2 weeks later, I hadn't heard anything so I called him and asked. He gave some excuse about management, and said he still wanted to move forward, he'd call me in a few days. Another 3 weeks- nothing. Finally, over a month after I'd originally applied, he offered me the job and said he wanted me to come in for an orientation the next day, which I couldn't make on such short notice, so he said he'd call back the next week with a different orientation time. That was almost a month ago, I never heard back. At that point, I gave up. If they were this disorganized, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to work.

Interview Questions

The process was incredibly disorganized and handled unprofessionally.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

Application is all online, I was contacted about a week later for a group interview which had 4 people. I was contacted less than a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How many units do you think we have in our store?
      They like to see your ability to break down the question and give an educated guess.

• Who are your personal fashion icons?   Answer Question
    • What was your thought process in choosing the outfit you're currently wearing?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, I am unsure if there is opportunity to, but it's a fair wage for part time in retail.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I entered the store and spoke with the Hiring Manager, I was told to come back after I sumbitted an application online to set up an interview. After completing the application online I was given a time for an interview. I came to the interview and was taken to the back room into the managerial office. I sat one on one with the hiring manager I spoke to only a few days before about the open position. The interview was more of a conversation as she asked about my interests, and what I went to school for. I was then asked my interest in Banana Republic and then further asked basic fashion questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you see someone stealing something, should you say something to the customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

It was a very short half hour interview. It was me and another girl. We both looked very professional and sat upright. The manager of the store asked us simple questions, "Tell me about yourself, what makes you think you're qualified for the job, what past experiences have made you think you can qualify" and simple things like that. I just made sure to do some research on the company incase they asked us about our thoughts on it. Which they did. Just opinion stuff, nothing about trivia.

Interview Questions
    • "What does Banana Republic mean to you?"
      "What does style mean to you?"

View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They immediately offered me a $10 hourly pay despite this being my first job ever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I was 30 minutes early and during the interview there were two other people. The interviewer started off introducing herself and then later asked us to introduce ourselves. It was somewhat of an ice breaker. As the interviewer was asking questions, anyone in the group was allowed to give an answer. Answering the questions wasn't in order which was good. I made sure to answer first since it shows that you are confident showing good potential. It took about 20 minutes and my interviewer was really friendly and approachable.

Interview Questions
    • There was about 5-7 questions asked. I will only list the ones I remember:
      1. Why should Banana Republic hire you?
      2. Why did you choose to apply to Banana Republic?
      3. Have you ever encountered having to multi-task from your previous jobs?
      4. What were your previous job experiences?
      5. Name a time when you didn't know anyone in your new job, how did you deal with it?