Banana Republic Merchandise Presentation Lead Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Center Valley, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Center Valley, PA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called for an interview within 4 hours. I went in for the interview optimistic, but ended up having my interview with the Store Manager instead of the manager I'd be directly reporting to. This seems pretty typical, but I think it ended up interfering with the success of the interview. It became pretty clear pretty quickly that this lady hadn't read my resume. The questions she asked me didn't seem to have any concept of the job at hand or the experience I was coming with. The other woman, who I would have been a direct report of, seemed pretty excited and aware of what my resume was putting forward (hence her eagerness in calling me within the same day). I feel like she probably would have been the best one to execute the interview because she had a handle on the position. Oh well. Also, the job description on their website and with the job posting is bizarrely vague and shallow. I had to ask a lot of questions to get an idea of what the job would entail day-to-day and even then the Store Manager just gave me a print out of the same description that was on the website...so basically, no info. Once we really got into the interview - which lasted an hour - it made a total left turn when she stopped me and told me that I seemed "really passionate" about merchandising and that that I wouldn't actually be doing that regularly...So weird. Basically, for anyone thinking that this job would be a great fit for someone looking for a visual merchandising position my advice is: NO WAY. This job is just basically glorified "Queen of the Stockroom." This job is something that they shouldn't waste the time of anyone with managerial experience with. What they're asking to be done can totally be done by a full-time associate. What a waste of time!

Interview Questions

• I was asked about how I'd dealt with conflict among associates before.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Hiring process is driven by sales generator and economy.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a negative customer service experience   1 Answer
    • How do you work with a difficult team player   1 Answer

Merchandise Presentation Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2009.

Interview

Completed an online application Interviewed by recruiter at headquarters on phone Interviewed by general manager Interviewed by merchandise presentation supervisor Everything was just kind of planned on the fly and was a bit disorganized. The general manager made me wait over 20 minutes for the interview to start and then forgot to give me a time for my 3rd interview which delayed it a day. The employees seem kind of nice but a bit snoody. There is no diversity at all in the employees. Everyone was White, young, and acts as if they are hot stuff when the clothing they were is very dry and boring. I stood inside for my interview to start while everyone else stood around. The 2nd interviewer gave me the impression that his time was more valuable then mine and went on and on about nothing in particular.

Interview Questions

• What are some creative activities you are involved in?   Answer Question
    • Can you point out in this area of the store as merchandiser what you would want to change or improve upon?   Answer Question
    • What would your friends say is the best attribute about your personality?   Answer Question

I am not a shopper of Banana Republic and could not see myself working with such plain clothing or stuck up employees. They also expected me to do more than merchandising by some times being leader on duty, working the cash register, and anything else a regular sales associate could do. The merchandising leading would really only take place 2 days a week.