Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
159 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Stony Point, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, as well as called and introduced myself to the manager. She called me soon after to ask about an interview. She did not mention that the interview was a group interview, with myself and one other girl present. The questions weren't that difficult: mostly about what part of the job I thought was the most important one, how I would balance organizing the store with offering customer support, etc.

Interview Question – How would you respond to a really rude customer?   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

Interview Details – You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Question – When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call a couple days later. I scheduled an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It took about 15-20 minutes. He had basic questions about my work experience, background, what I liked about the brand, etc. He said there is usually a second interview but their general manager was gone for the week so we skipped that and just did the in-person interview. I heard back by the end of the week.

Interview Question – Where do you get your fashion inspiration?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided that retail wasn't really what I was interested in doing at that point.

Scarsdale, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – One in person, group interview, by which managers and other associates analyzed speaking competance as well as ability to determine proper dress attire for both the workplace and the customer.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions related to previous team oriented experience and communication skills (both positive a negative experiences e.g. how to handle upset customer)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable for entry level position.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – HIring and Interview process consisted of applying online, and one - two weeks later I received a call from the Customer Experience Manager of the store I applied to. Had an interview with him/her a couple days later. The second interview was with the General Manager of the store. Received a call about a week later offering the position.

Interview Question – Both interviews were very typical of an entry level position in retail. The most difficult part of the interview was not a question but I (sales associate) had to role play with the General Manager (a customer) in the store. The goal was to view my ability to interact with a customer and the goal was to upsell the customer into a better quality item and additional items like scarves, ties, hats, or belts.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for salary. Everybody was started at $9.00 and experience did not play a factor.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I was 30 minutes early and during the interview there were two other people. The interviewer started off introducing herself and then later asked us to introduce ourselves. It was somewhat of an ice breaker. As the interviewer was asking questions, anyone in the group was allowed to give an answer. Answering the questions wasn't in order which was good. I made sure to answer first since it shows that you are confident showing good potential. It took about 20 minutes and my interviewer was really friendly and approachable.

Interview Question – There was about 5-7 questions asked. I will only list the ones I remember:
1. Why should Banana Republic hire you?
2. Why did you choose to apply to Banana Republic?
3. Have you ever encountered having to multi-task from your previous jobs?
4. What were your previous job experiences?
5. Name a time when you didn't know anyone in your new job, how did you deal with it?
  Answer Question

Fresno, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in Febuary, got a call in April.
The person who called asked me to come in for interview 2 days (which is monday) from the day she called me.

We did a group interview even though she didn't let me know on the day she called me.
I just came in the store, seeing 2 other people coming in and looking for Margaret (which is the person who called me and the same person who will interview me) for interview.

We went in the back room. The room wasnt very big. There were 4 of us in it including Margaret, the interviewer.

First she introduced herself then she started off by asking the following (we each took our turns to answer first, so I wasnt always the person who answers the question first):

Q: Tell me about yourself?

Then the following I listed are not in order. I just tried to remember which ones she asked

Q: Why do you want to work in banana republic? why not others?

Q: Tell me a time when you initiated a conversation with a stranger?

Q: Tell me a time when you went out of your way to resolve an issue?

Q: Tell me about a time when you resolve something through listening?

Q: Tell me about a time when you were given a project that doesnt have a clear instructions?

Q: Tell me a time when you have to make a decision?

Q: What is the environment / situation that brings out the best in you?

After the interview questions, she verified our availability.
When we were dismissed, we met the store manager again, which was the person who we all first talked to, that we were there for an interview.

He asked a couple other questions, like "What have you learned during the interview?"
And he talked about how you cant be timid in Banana Republic.
Then he asked if we know about the Banana Republic Credit Card, which seemed to be I was the only one who knew about it among us 3. Well I researched about it that's why.

Store manager was very friendly, and not very uptight, he's a bit of a joker, he seemed easy to get along with. Same with the interviewer

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you have to make a decision?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – Pretty much average, dont usually like group interviews. This one was a group of 9-10 people, largest group Ive seen. Answer questions like why banana, why want to work, try to sell us what you are wearing. Any questions you have for us. The usual.

Interview Question – Trying to sell us what you are wearing.   Answer Question

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted quickly after for the interview and it was really easy, typical interview questions regarding work experience (I had none and still got hired), how you interact with others in the work place, etc. The interview was extremely easy for me and I just met with the GM of the store and she interviewed me. I found out i got the job the same day and started quickly.

Interview Question – None really too difficult, general interview questions to be honest   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 159 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.