Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014

2.2

170 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2011.

Only had one interview. I applied online and a few days later I recieved a call from the hiring manager at the time. Went in for an interview, and it lasted for about half an hour. Hiring manager said she would make up her mind by the beginning of the following week, but it took about a week and a half/2 weeks for her to get back to me, and she offered me the job.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you went above and beyond in the workplace   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aurora, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

I applied online and got a call back in about 2 weeks. Had a very laid back, one-on-one interview with one of the managers who was super friendly and fun to talk to. The interview lasted about half an hour. Then I had to do an activity where I was on the floor and had to put together an outfit for a pretend customer. It was nothing to worry about, just a simple exercise to see how well you can interact with customers. I got a call back and was offered the position about 4 days after my interview.

Non-negotiable.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got an interview within a week after applying. I thought the interview process would've been one on one. It wasn't. It was a group interview, and one almost had to be aggressive to get noticed. I received an offer less than a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What are the main expectations of the store?   View Answer
    There is no room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2014.

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks to get a call back from the hiring manager. There were two interviews with two different managers who asked your run of the mill questions - both situational and behavioral. I got a phone call a week later with an offer. From there, it took another 2 weeks to go through training before I could work on the sales floor. Don't worry, you will get paid for training.

The manager asked about my salary requirement. I said $13/hr. She said that the best she could offer me was $9.50 due to declines in revenue from the last few years. I accepted out of desperation. I was making more 10 years ago at my first retail job...

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

This was one of the most disorganized interview processes I've ever been through. I applied online and got a call 2 or 3 days later asking for me to come in for an interview, which I did. It went well, was quite easy, and the interviewer seemed to hint that all that was left for me to be hired was logistical stuff, and that he would contact me in a few days to set up training. 2 weeks later, I hadn't heard anything so I called him and asked. He gave some excuse about management, and said he still wanted to move forward, he'd call me in a few days. Another 3 weeks- nothing. Finally, over a month after I'd originally applied, he offered me the job and said he wanted me to come in for an orientation the next day, which I couldn't make on such short notice, so he said he'd call back the next week with a different orientation time. That was almost a month ago, I never heard back. At that point, I gave up. If they were this disorganized, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to work.

Interview Questions

The process was incredibly disorganized and handled unprofessionally.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Wales, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Wales, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2010.

Great interview. They were very informative about what the job would require and about benefits and a salary. I got a call later that day telling me I could start right away:)

Not very negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2013.

The interview was okay, straight forward and to the point. I came in, they asked me some questions and then talked to me about the company. A lot of the interview was the interviewer explaining the differences between BR and other retail companies. Overall, the interview process was relatively painless.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

Interview with hiring manager and general manager. Offered job within 2 weeks. They asked questions such as a time where you received both good and bad customer service. They wanted to know how you would have handled the bad situation differently.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2014.

It was a very short half hour interview. It was me and another girl. We both looked very professional and sat upright. The manager of the store asked us simple questions, "Tell me about yourself, what makes you think you're qualified for the job, what past experiences have made you think you can qualify" and simple things like that. I just made sure to do some research on the company incase they asked us about our thoughts on it. Which they did. Just opinion stuff, nothing about trivia.

Interview Questions
    • "What does Banana Republic mean to you?"
      "What does style mean to you?"
        View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They immediately offered me a $10 hourly pay despite this being my first job ever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stony Point, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Point, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2014.

I applied online to Banana Republic and Gap about 1.5-2 months before I heard anything back, so I was a bit surprised when I received an email inviting me to a group interview. Usually I dislike group interviews, but there were only two other girls in the interview, along with two managers, so it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Definitely one of the more laid back interviews I've ever had. The main hiring manager was very honest and talkative, so that helped break the ice a little bit. The interview lasted probably an hour. The manager said we would receive a phone call within the next day which was very reassuring.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were fairly standard. The one that was the most difficult to answer, I guess, would be "Why did you choose Banana Republic over other places?"   View Answer
    I did not attempt to negotiate, but it seemed as if negotiation was possible.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!