Banana Republic

Getting the Interview

149 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Glendale, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted quickly after for the interview and it was really easy, typical interview questions regarding work experience (I had none and still got hired), how you interact with others in the work place, etc. The interview was extremely easy for me and I just met with the GM of the store and she interviewed me. I found out i got the job the same day and started quickly.

Interview Question – None really too difficult, general interview questions to be honest   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Got a phone call 5 days later asking to come in the store for a group interview. Interview was held the next day. When I arrived at the store, I was told to wait in the men's dept. Two other people were in the interview. I was interviewed by 2 women. I was the only female candidate. The two women were very nice and easy going. Made everything go smoother by saying "there are no wrong answers" (haha). All took turns going around table answering questions. Every two questions or so you should take initiative in answering the question first. Interview lasted about an hour. Was told that they had another set of interviews tomorrow, but we would go through a background check, and if that cleared and they liked us then we would hear from them. Got a call about 5 days later offering a position.

Interview Question – About 5-6 typical questions, but At the end, unexpectedly, the interviewer told us we had a ten minute activity to do. We had to go out on the floor and then approach them as if they were a customer, trying to get them to buy something or help with something.   View Answer

Braintree, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, Got a call on Monday, Interviewed in person the following Thursday and got hired the next Monday.

Interview Question – What are your feelings about the Gap brand?   View Answer

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2010.

Interview Details – Group interview, but depending on store, can be 1:1. Answered a few easy questions about customer service and that was it. Some stores have second interview to role play.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – Main focus was on the ability to sell a credit card.

Interview Question – Where do you get your style inspiration from?   Answer Question

Emeryville, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I had tried submitting my resume previously, but found that once I actually went in to the store, I was able to get the correct link for the current open positions. I went through a group interview that involved a conversation about previous sales experience and customer experience management. At the time they were hiring seasonally. They extended me an offer after which the seasonal hires went through training and additional evaluation and conversation to determine which role we would hold while in the store. Finally, after seasonal employment ended (approximately 3 months around Christmas), they extended me a part-time offer during the exit interview.

Interview Question – Describe a time you have dealt with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because I had a degree and previous sales experience, I was able to get a salary increase after the seasonal work.

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2012.

Interview Details – Group Interview. Dress nice, almost resembling a mannequin in the store.

Interview Question – All of the questions were generic interview questions. Went in with a group of 8 and each person was asked one question. Then a select few were asked a couple more.   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online to the Stonestown store, heard back from them within a few days, and then scheduled an interview. I showed up 30 minutes early, they told me to hold on while they notified the Sales Manager, and was not addressed till 10 minutes after the scheduled interview time. The sales manager came in finally and greeted me and two other interviewees (which I was unaware there would be) and we were walked back to the break room. He was wearing camouflage pants, and the other two interviewees were wearing jeans, which I thought was odd considering the store. He then began reading from a packet he said Banana Republic "makes him read". Struggling over sentences, he read them off and had us all answer. We did so in no particular order, and the other two candidates usually waited as if unsure of how to answer, so I was usually speaking first. Once the questions were finished, which took about an hour, he had us go out and pick two outfits (one for a guy and one for a girl) and create and outfit they could change into without going home to change. This took about 25 minutes, we came in and then showed him. Pitched our scenarios. He said great, then awkwardly commented on how he didn't judge us on how fashionable our choices were because he doesn't know much about fashion.... Most important part of the interview was him making the case that you need to sell the Banana Republic credit card, which I was the only interviewee who knew what it was and the importance behind it. We left and within two days they sent out an email notifying me I did not get the job, besides being over qualified for the position. Not sure if the other two got the job, I would assume not considering they were extremely underdressed and did not answer the questions well, but the way the interviewer acted and presented himself, I wouldn't be too surprised. Completely unprofessional interview and really a waste of time.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just trying to get you to sell the credit card.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty easy to get hired- you just have to be assertive to get an interview after you applied online. Go to the store you want to get hired and just ask if they are looking to hire. If they do, from that point just ask for an interview and tell them you already applied online.

Interview Question – You really need to be assertive to get an interview. It's not easy to be a nagger mean while you are trying to look good so you'll get hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation- you get a final offer. You take it or you leave it.

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2011.

Interview Details – There are 2 phases to the interview one is a group with the hiring manager and if they like you, you will meet with the GM.
It takes about a week to 2 weeks to get a call back but be patient.

Interview Question – How do you want to grow in the company?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 149 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.