Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

2.2

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied online and got a call a couple days later asking to come in for a group interview. The interview was very casual and relaxed and the hiring manager was very friendly. She had us do a couple exercises selling products and folding clothes.

Interview Questions
  • What is a decision you had to make recently?
    Why Banana Republic?

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2015.

I had applied a few times before but didn't get a call back until the last time i applied about three weeks later. Went in for the interview. the assistant manager was very nice. the process was not that long but not short either. She asked me basic questions about times that i have experienced certain situations and how i handled it. At the end of the interview she asked me to go to the floor and pick out an outfit that she would wear for a first date.

Interview Questions
    • When there was a problem how did you produce a resolution?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2015.

Was a group interview. This surprised me as I was not told that it would be a group one, so I was slightly off guard. Basic questions. Laid back. Two parts: question component, and role-playing where manager pretended to be a customer and you had to help select an outfit.

Interview Questions
    • How did you hear about Banana Republic?   Answer Question
    • Why would you choose to work at this store over any others?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were assigned a task/project with very little time to complete it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped someone.   Answer Question
    • What would you do in the situation where it was really busy, and there were many customers looking for your help at the same time?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

The process was super easy since it was a new store opening. I applied online, then I got an email telling me to call to schedule an interview. I had no idea it was a group interview but it made it more comfortable. they asked us a few questions and we answered one by one.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What would you bring to banana republic?
      2. Why should we hire you?
      3. Tell me about your passed work experience?
      4. How would you handle an angry customer?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napa, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in February 2015.

It was super friendly. I had a preliminary interview with the person I assume to be the assistant manager, and then had a very nice casual interview with the hiring manager. Nothing about it made me feel pressured or unwelcome. It was one on one, and I was hired there on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you bring to the store?
      What gives you joy?
      What do you hope to get out of your experience working here?

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Group interview, very easy and asked some questions about my background. The interviewer was very nice and courteous to all the people in the interview. The process was very short and simple and to the point. They described the entire process over the phone and that's exactly how it went.

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

Went in for a one on one interview.
    I absolutely hated it from the time I walked in the people working were so uptight.
    The manager seemed like she was in a rush she was just asking question after question, she barely smiled and just seemed so cold.
    Asked me to sell her a credit card afree learning the benefits.
    Took me out on the men's sales floor to different sections and asked me to tell her what they were and too sell. Which being a 20 yr old girl working for female retail I didn't know much about.
    All in all the interview seemed like more of an interagation and she seemed too scold me if I didn't answer correctly.
    I don't really care if I get a call back because I want to enjoy what I do and all of them seemed miserable.

Interview Questions
    • What are the top 5 key peices to a men's closet.   View Answer
    • What would your manager say about you if I called?   View Answer
    • Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   View Answer

I did not want to work at a place that everyone seemed miserable and the boss so rigid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in December 2014.

I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule an interview on Tuesday. The interview was 1 on 1 and lasted about 25 minutes. The manager was very nice and urged me not to be nervous. He said he just wanted to have a casual conversation, get to know each other, and ask me questions that corporates make him ask all interview candidates. It was in a mall so we had the interview at a table by a coffee shop. He pretty much starts the interview by talking about the store, how many employees they have, etc. Since I had retail experience he asked me situational and behavioral questions. If you have retail and/or customer service experience the answers to these questions should come naturally.

They really want people who are positive and joyful. Make sure you show you are interested in what they are saying and chime in when they start to talk about the positives and accomplishments of the store, show interest. Remember all answers to the questions don't have to be work related answers, they can be related to school and life experiences too. After the interview he pretty much explained the goals of the employees, the pay, and what is expected of the position. He then said he would call if they decide to move forward with me. He had more people to interview.

BIG NOTE: Make sure you leave a good impression on the interviewer, be memorable because mine didn't take any notes or write anything down, and I've heard a lot of them do this at other stores. They jot down notes after the interview when you leave so you have to make sure you leave a good impression.

The next day (Wednesday) I received an email saying he would like to schedule a 15 minute phone interview for tomorrow. When he called it wasn't even an interview it was to tell me I got the job, confirm my availability, and that he was just waiting for the background check. Was a very positive experience.

The easiest questions he asked was
    Tell me about yourself.
    Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with a team to accomplish something   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you influenced someone's decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to speak to a stranger. How did you initiate the conversation?   Answer Question
    • What made you choose to work retail instead of other service areas like restaurants, theaters, a bank, etc?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. 8.50 for seasonal but if they decide to keep me on it will go to 10.00

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied through Gap.com, selected stores I'd be interested in interviewing at, and was emailed a time I could have an interview. I went in for the interview with the manager and assistant manager, and was notified a week later that I received the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you measure our success as a store and its employees. [I think the question was slightly different than this, but that's to the best of my memory]   Answer Question
    They have a national standard rate for sales associates so I did not feel that I was in a position to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I submitted my application online, and within a week, I was contacted about a group interview. The interview had 4 other candidates, the store's hiring manager, and the store manager. Most of the questions were behavioral. I heard back about the results within a week.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to go into the store, pick out an outfit for a type of customer, then explain my choices.   Answer Question