Banana Republic

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.2

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

The process was super easy since it was a new store opening. I applied online, then I got an email telling me to call to schedule an interview. I had no idea it was a group interview but it made it more comfortable. they asked us a few questions and we answered one by one.

Interview Questions
  • 1. What would you bring to banana republic?
    2. Why should we hire you?
    3. Tell me about your passed work experience?
    4. How would you handle an angry customer?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Napa, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in February 2015.

It was super friendly. I had a preliminary interview with the person I assume to be the assistant manager, and then had a very nice casual interview with the hiring manager. Nothing about it made me feel pressured or unwelcome. It was one on one, and I was hired there on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • What do you bring to the store?
      What gives you joy?
      What do you hope to get out of your experience working here?

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

Went in for a one on one interview.
    I absolutely hated it from the time I walked in the people working were so uptight.
    The manager seemed like she was in a rush she was just asking question after question, she barely smiled and just seemed so cold.
    Asked me to sell her a credit card afree learning the benefits.
    Took me out on the men's sales floor to different sections and asked me to tell her what they were and too sell. Which being a 20 yr old girl working for female retail I didn't know much about.
    All in all the interview seemed like more of an interagation and she seemed too scold me if I didn't answer correctly.
    I don't really care if I get a call back because I want to enjoy what I do and all of them seemed miserable.

Interview Questions
    • What are the top 5 key peices to a men's closet.   View Answer
    • What would your manager say about you if I called?   View Answer
    • Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   View Answer

I did not want to work at a place that everyone seemed miserable and the boss so rigid.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Group interview, very easy and asked some questions about my background. The interviewer was very nice and courteous to all the people in the interview. The process was very short and simple and to the point. They described the entire process over the phone and that's exactly how it went.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in December 2014.

I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule an interview on Tuesday. The interview was 1 on 1 and lasted about 25 minutes. The manager was very nice and urged me not to be nervous. He said he just wanted to have a casual conversation, get to know each other, and ask me questions that corporates make him ask all interview candidates. It was in a mall so we had the interview at a table by a coffee shop. He pretty much starts the interview by talking about the store, how many employees they have, etc. Since I had retail experience he asked me situational and behavioral questions. If you have retail and/or customer service experience the answers to these questions should come naturally.

They really want people who are positive and joyful. Make sure you show you are interested in what they are saying and chime in when they start to talk about the positives and accomplishments of the store, show interest. Remember all answers to the questions don't have to be work related answers, they can be related to school and life experiences too. After the interview he pretty much explained the goals of the employees, the pay, and what is expected of the position. He then said he would call if they decide to move forward with me. He had more people to interview.

BIG NOTE: Make sure you leave a good impression on the interviewer, be memorable because mine didn't take any notes or write anything down, and I've heard a lot of them do this at other stores. They jot down notes after the interview when you leave so you have to make sure you leave a good impression.

The next day (Wednesday) I received an email saying he would like to schedule a 15 minute phone interview for tomorrow. When he called it wasn't even an interview it was to tell me I got the job, confirm my availability, and that he was just waiting for the background check. Was a very positive experience.

The easiest questions he asked was
    Tell me about yourself.
    Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with a team to accomplish something   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you influenced someone's decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to speak to a stranger. How did you initiate the conversation?   Answer Question
    • What made you choose to work retail instead of other service areas like restaurants, theaters, a bank, etc?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. 8.50 for seasonal but if they decide to keep me on it will go to 10.00

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I applied through Gap.com, selected stores I'd be interested in interviewing at, and was emailed a time I could have an interview. I went in for the interview with the manager and assistant manager, and was notified a week later that I received the job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you measure our success as a store and its employees. [I think the question was slightly different than this, but that's to the best of my memory]   Answer Question
    They have a national standard rate for sales associates so I did not feel that I was in a position to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I submitted my application online, and within a week, I was contacted about a group interview. The interview had 4 other candidates, the store's hiring manager, and the store manager. Most of the questions were behavioral. I heard back about the results within a week.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to go into the store, pick out an outfit for a type of customer, then explain my choices.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Lakes, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Lakes, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

group interviews , easy quick hiring process because it was a new store opening..they give no HOURS!!!! when its not in the season..easy questions, gave everyone an oppurtunity to answer if the wanted to..

Interview Questions
    • easy questions, gave everyone an oppurtunity to answer if the wanted to.   Answer Question
    asked if 8.50 was ok....but after working for 6 months the company changed all there workers to 9.00

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I called the store I wanted to work at and they said they were hiring so I applied online. After that about three days later I got a call back and they scheduled an interview. They had a 1:1 interview and also asked me to make two outfits: date night and work outfit.

Interview Questions
    Called me and asked if $9.25 was okay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2014.

I applied online and two weeks later i received a call asking me to do a interview the next day. When i arrived there i waited a good 30 minutes with a group of people to do the interview. It was a group interview and very quick. The hiring manager was great. So down to earth and sweet. He liked everyone and it was a good vibe. So 4 weeks later i received a call asking me to come in and do new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations because it was seasonal but she did say it goes up after the season.