Banana Republic

Updated Aug 14, 2014

Average Difficulty
167 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2009.

Interview Details – I went in and asked for holiday/part time work from the copley mall store. they gave me an app and got me an interview right away. I did a group interview first. the manager was nice and professional- it seemed organized. i got a call two days later that they wanted me to come in for the second interview- which is the one before they hire you. I learned that saturdays are madatory and that after 80 days they decide if they will make you part time from holiday work. The discount is great and people are nice. I am looking forward to starting work soon

Interview Question – when was the last time you had to resolve a conflict and all questions were to be answred 'briefly'   Answer Question

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was called in for a group interview, and they asked me a number of questions. It was friendly and I liked it.

Interview Question – What would you do if you saw someone doing something wrong?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. There were 7 of us, and 2 of the managers were "grading." The questions they asked were:

1) Tell me about yourself.
2) Has there been a time where you worked as a team and it didn't really work well? What did you do to overcome it.
3) Was there a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something you weren't assigned to do? Explain.
4) Was there a time in your life you were extremely busy and had many tasks? If so, tell us how you prioritized what to do first.
5) In one word, describe to us how you perceive Banana Republic Clothing.

I don't remember I think there was another question, but these questions were hard!! for me of course only. All the other group people answered it like a breeze because they had retail work experience at like BR, Macy's and A&F... some people just love to brag. Anyways, I felt over dressed because people wore casual things, like a nice silk shirt with pants... well I don't know this was my first ever interview. They think their clothing is "professional." The managers commented if they liked your work ethic... but obviously I couldn't answer HALF their questions so I based stuff on school work though because they let you do that. Well, I don't think I will get the job.. but here was my experience. Hope you do well in your interview, and just be prepared for these questions; they don't give you time to think... just sit in the middle because they have you sit in a circle like you're in an AA meeting. Ahhhhhh :(

Interview Question – Was there ever a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something that wasn't yours to do? Explain.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Question – Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
  Answer Question

Chandler, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and two days later a manager called me in for an interview. The interview was one on one, and it helped that the manager was very laid back and friendly. She asked a number of questions and because I did some research on this site for possible questions they would ask, I was prepared to answer most of them. After she interviewed me, she brought in another manager who asked either the same questions and a number of different ones. When that was complete, she thanked me for my time and said I'll hear from them by email or phone call by Monday. I assume email means you didn't get the job and a phone call was a job offer. My interview was on Friday afternoon and I got a phone call Sunday afternoon with a job offer at the starting rate of 8.50/hr.

There was many unexpected questions, i'll try to list as many as I can remember.

Questions:

Tell me about yourself.

If you were to choose a favorite clothing item of yours, why is it your favorite?
(At this point I suppose they're wanting you to sell that item with your reasons why it's your favorite.)

Why do you want to work here, why Banana Republic?

Do you have customer service experience?

What is great customer service to you?

Give an example of how you started a conversation with someone you didn't know.

Name a time you exceeded a customer's expectations.

Are you looking for something short term or long term?
(Say you're absolutely open to the possibility of long term because it makes you look better. If the position is seasonal, they'll explain that it will depend on your performance.)

I suggest that your answers be unique and also be open to further conversation. They're looking for someone who is friendly and who can converse with customers. Don't be afraid to have a conversation with the manager, just don't get off topic too much.

Ask questions and input more of your knowledge and experience into your questions.

For example: I used to work for Macy's where selling credit cards and meeting sales goals was a large part of the job. I know that Banana Republic has cards where customers can earn points for their purchases, does Banana Republic have credit quotas or Sales goals?

Hope this helped a little!

Interview Questions

• Name something you're absolutely proud of that you've done so far.   View Answer
  • Do you have any questions for me?   View Answer
  • Do you see yourself more as a Sales Associate or more of a Sales Support Associate.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They offered me 8.50/hr, which was more than I was expecting.

Interviewed at Banana Republic

Interview Details – Basically, I submitted an online application and recieved a call about 2 weeks later from HR to set up an interview. The interview lasted around 30 minutes and se asked me basic questions like tell me about yourself and a lot of situational questions. She then told me about selling the store card and how they how special bonuses for anyone that sells the most for the week. Then the store manager came by and asked me to pretend she was a customer and I had to try sell something to her. Then she basically talked to me about availability and said they would call me back in a few days

Interview Question – Name a problem you have faced at work and how you solved it   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2010.

Interview Details – First interview was done in a group setting, second was one on one with a manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation took place.

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2012.

Interview Details – I initially applied online for the sales associate position. Maybe a week like I got a phone call asking if I was still interested in working and if I was, to come to a group interview. On the day of the group interview, I arrived 20 min early, and they told me to come back at the designated time or to browse around. At the interview time, they had the group of us go to the mall patio for the group interview. The asked us why we wanted to work at BR along with why they should hire us. They also asked us our availability, and what section we would like to work at (cashier, sales and non sales). A couple days later I got a call from the GM asking me to come in for a 1 on 1 interview. He was really nice and helped me get over my nerves and asked me a bit about myself and why I should work at BR. At the end of the interview, he offered me a Sales Support Associate position and told me what the job would entail and the salary.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out an application through gap.com a couple weeks ago and got a phone call from one of the store managers to come in for an interview. I was expecting it to be a group interview because that's what she had told me on the phone but for some reason the interview was solo (not complaining I detest group interviews..) I made sure I was dressed business/professional and when I got to the store everything was very neat and tidy as always. I told the cashier I was there for an interview and she was very friendly and pointed me to the manager in the back and he took me to the employees section in the back where the main manager was sitting in her office on a conference call. She was very friendly, she asked me a bunch of basic questions. Tell me about yourself a little, why do you want to work here, based on your previous sales associate experience how do you think Banana Republic is different, What my availability is.. etc. I thought the interview process was simple and I appreciated her honesty and bluntness with me. She told me exactly what they were looking for in an employee, and that she liked how I was calm, and seemed mature and responsible. Then she wrote a big YES on my application and circled it and told me she would get back to me within three days, which is exactly what happened. I got the call earlier today and accepted the job =] As far as the other employees there everyone was dressed very business/professional and looked good.

Interview Question – She asked me what I knew about the company and I completely blanked   View Answer

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!