Banana Republic

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Getting the Interview

148 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Question – Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.
  Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in December 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. There were 7 of us, and 2 of the managers were "grading." The questions they asked were:

1) Tell me about yourself.
2) Has there been a time where you worked as a team and it didn't really work well? What did you do to overcome it.
3) Was there a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something you weren't assigned to do? Explain.
4) Was there a time in your life you were extremely busy and had many tasks? If so, tell us how you prioritized what to do first.
5) In one word, describe to us how you perceive Banana Republic Clothing.

I don't remember I think there was another question, but these questions were hard!! for me of course only. All the other group people answered it like a breeze because they had retail work experience at like BR, Macy's and A&F... some people just love to brag. Anyways, I felt over dressed because people wore casual things, like a nice silk shirt with pants... well I don't know this was my first ever interview. They think their clothing is "professional." The managers commented if they liked your work ethic... but obviously I couldn't answer HALF their questions so I based stuff on school work though because they let you do that. Well, I don't think I will get the job.. but here was my experience. Hope you do well in your interview, and just be prepared for these questions; they don't give you time to think... just sit in the middle because they have you sit in a circle like you're in an AA meeting. Ahhhhhh :(

Interview Question – Was there ever a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something that wasn't yours to do? Explain.   Answer Question

Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was called in for a group interview, and they asked me a number of questions. It was friendly and I liked it.

Interview Question – What would you do if you saw someone doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2009.

Interview Details – I went in and asked for holiday/part time work from the copley mall store. they gave me an app and got me an interview right away. I did a group interview first. the manager was nice and professional- it seemed organized. i got a call two days later that they wanted me to come in for the second interview- which is the one before they hire you. I learned that saturdays are madatory and that after 80 days they decide if they will make you part time from holiday work. The discount is great and people are nice. I am looking forward to starting work soon

Interview Question – when was the last time you had to resolve a conflict and all questions were to be answred 'briefly'   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview and group interview with general manager

Interview Question – What would motivate you to come into work everyday?   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in November 2009.

Interview Details – For a retail store that pays 8 dollars an hour the interview process seemed a bit much and not very proffesional. They kept me waiting for over an hour and the whole interview was about 15 minutes. They asked me a mistake I had made and hoe i rectified it and about a situation that i had where I did more than was expected of me. The interviewer was not an easy person to talk to and I felt uncomfortable as I was interviewed in the middle of the mall.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2010.

Interview Details – After a game of phone tag, I was finally able to set up an interview. It took place in an empty fitting room which was a bit odd at first. He asked about my previous experience, fashion sense and asked me to sell him the tie I was wearing.

Interview Question – How will you assist in increasing the stores goals?   Answer Question

Friendswood, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was recruited by Gap and applied to work at The Gap on-line but never received a call back. After checking in at the store. The manager asked that I be patient and if she calls me, I'll know that I cleared the application process. However, she never called because they apparently decided not to hire according to their budget, the sales and the recent remodeling. I did, however, receive an e-mail from Gap Inc's system about Banana Republic's recruiting within the same mall I'd applied for Gap employment. I'd forgotten about the submission, which was very simple since all I needed to do was take another personality test and answer questions about my Government (welfare, veteran, disabled, etc) status. I believe it'd been about 2 weeks since I submitted the app when I received a call back. The first question the assistant manager asked is whether i was seeking seasonal or permanent employment. It was later explained that they do not hire summer seasonal employees. Whew! Glad I'd passed that screening. I wasn't expecting a group interview; the AM made it seem as though they'd taken a particular interest in interviewing me personally. Nevertheless, reading and working through the questions on this site thoroughly prepared me for the interview. I wrote down answers to the questions that I saw on the site and was very prepared because I'd processed the answers and could fluidly explain my answer. I was smoothest speaking interviewee. However, I was also the most overdressed. They want you to look sleek but not stuffy. They definitely appreciated my professionalism but, recommend that employees fit into one of the rooms in the store and dress in season, wear no hosiery, flip flops, wild hair colors and other than that the dress code is quite flexible. The Manager was dressed to the T from fingernails to earrings, she was very well accessorized and energized. She had a great personality and was looking for an employee that could complement that but, ofcourse not take her place as company cheerleader. She'e be hard to top anyway. They value maturity and a few people in the group seemed to lack that. BR has mature clientele and they seek mature, helpful and attentive employees. The manager also seemed to value personality and light-heartedness. "We're not saving lives here guys; we're selling clothes. So, we should be able to have fun and lighten up a bit!" Overall, the group interview went well and I feel very confident about receiving a call back. The interview took place on a Thursday and the Manager promised to call us by Monday to schedule a second interview, although Monday's a federal holiday. Ofcourse, the mall is open.

Interview Question – What is the first thing you do when you walk into a social engagement (i.e. introduce yourself to people, go to the nearest corner)   View Answer

Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2012.

Interview Details – I received a call from an employee who set up a group interview. I was part of a group interview with three other applicants. I entered the store on my interview date. The music was dreadful and vociferous. The manager led us to a stockroom that was in complete disarray. There was one particular employee that was actually eating during the interview. The manager even invited her to sit with us. That was immensely unprofessional because it was distracting to watch and hear her eating. The manager, who was fairly overweight and looked older than her age, shared information about the Banana Cards. Furthermore, she talked about her boyfriend (another form of unprofessionalism at its finest). During the interview, one of the manager's (the interviewer) shared that she attended and graduated from the same university with the same major as me. Within one week, I received a rejection email. As far as advice is concerned, you should dress business professional (suit and tie for males). For females, you should wear a professional suit.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here? Why are you interested in this position? Why are you looking to leave your current position? What is your work history? What was your first impression when you entered the store?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 148 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.