Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Boston, MA) in November 2009.

Interview

I went in and asked for holiday/part time work from the copley mall store. they gave me an app and got me an interview right away. I did a group interview first. the manager was nice and professional- it seemed organized. i got a call two days later that they wanted me to come in for the second interview- which is the one before they hire you. I learned that saturdays are madatory and that after 80 days they decide if they will make you part time from holiday work. The discount is great and people are nice. I am looking forward to starting work soon

Interview Questions

• when was the last time you had to resolve a conflict and all questions were to be answred 'briefly'   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic (Paramus, NJ) in June 2009.

Interview

I was called in for a group interview, and they asked me a number of questions. It was friendly and I liked it.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw someone doing something wrong?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

It was a group interview. There were 7 of us, and 2 of the managers were "grading." The questions they asked were:

1) Tell me about yourself.
    2) Has there been a time where you worked as a team and it didn't really work well? What did you do to overcome it.
    3) Was there a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something you weren't assigned to do? Explain.
    4) Was there a time in your life you were extremely busy and had many tasks? If so, tell us how you prioritized what to do first.
    5) In one word, describe to us how you perceive Banana Republic Clothing.

I don't remember I think there was another question, but these questions were hard!! for me of course only. All the other group people answered it like a breeze because they had retail work experience at like BR, Macy's and A&F... some people just love to brag. Anyways, I felt over dressed because people wore casual things, like a nice silk shirt with pants... well I don't know this was my first ever interview. They think their clothing is "professional." The managers commented if they liked your work ethic... but obviously I couldn't answer HALF their questions so I based stuff on school work though because they let you do that. Well, I don't think I will get the job.. but here was my experience. Hope you do well in your interview, and just be prepared for these questions; they don't give you time to think... just sit in the middle because they have you sit in a circle like you're in an AA meeting. Ahhhhhh :(

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time in your life where you took on the responsibility for something that wasn't yours to do? Explain.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2012.

Interview

After applying online, I received a callback from HR and was scheduled for a group interview. The group interview consisted, primarily, of "on the job" questions. After that, I was called back for a in-store interview. They asked me to run around the store and pick items for the manager to wear to an interview (pretending she was a customer) and tell her why she should buy them. Something that made the second interview a little annoying was the fact that there were several people in the store doing the exact same thing.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you did something that positively impacted others.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied online in the summer, went through that whole annoying Taleo questionnaire and didn't hear anything back until about 2 months later. I received an email from Gap Inc. saying to call the manager for an interview if I was still interested. I did, and she asked me if I was available the coming Saturday at 4, so I said yes. I got there, she wasn't ready yet, so I was asked to just look around the store until she came out. Then I noticed there were other people my age walking around with report covers in their hands and I realized it was a group interview. I started to panic. No one had told me, so I had the initial impression that it would be one-on-one with the manager, which I would have preferred. It wasn't. There were 7 OTHER CANDIDATES. Very unprofessional of Banana Republic Square One. Also, the interviewer was rude and awkward. You'd think she would have looked at my resume, but I guess not, as she proceeded to ask questions about customer service experience, something I did not have, forcing me to make scenarios and examples up as to not embarrass myself in front of the other (far more qualified) candidates. Half way through the interview I literally wanted to get up and walk out. She said that if we have good references that we can expect an email within 3 days, but if not, they would not be taking the hiring process any further. It was my third interview and by far the worst. I do not even wish to work there anymore. Everyone is very superficial. Long story short: don't apply if you do not have prior experience. This interview will be hell for you.

Interview Questions

• Describe the last time you struck up a conversation with someone you didn't know.
      Describe a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer.
      What is your approach to handling many customers at a time?
      Which particular item in the store would you like to sell and why?
      Describe a time (at work or in school) when you had been given little direction on a project.

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Went in for a one on one interview.
    I absolutely hated it from the time I walked in the people working were so uptight.
    The manager seemed like she was in a rush she was just asking question after question, she barely smiled and just seemed so cold.
    Asked me to sell her a credit card afree learning the benefits.
    Took me out on the men's sales floor to different sections and asked me to tell her what they were and too sell. Which being a 20 yr old girl working for female retail I didn't know much about.
    All in all the interview seemed like more of an interagation and she seemed too scold me if I didn't answer correctly.
    I don't really care if I get a call back because I want to enjoy what I do and all of them seemed miserable.

Interview Questions

• What are the top 5 key peices to a men's closet.   1 Answer
    • What would your manager say about you if I called?   1 Answer
    • Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer

I did not want to work at a place that everyone seemed miserable and the boss so rigid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Carlsbad, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Group Interview with manager. It was very casual, with many opportunities to showcase your individuality. Since my interview in 2013, the process has become more challenging with customer simulations being added. The manager will pretend to be a customer and you will have to answer their questions. I recommend brushing up on different materials and whether or not they are machine washable and dry clean appropriate because one of the managers will ask that.

Interview Questions

• What/who is a source of fashion inspiration?
      Do you have any prior retail experience?
      If you could be a superhero, what powers would you choose?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

The first interview was a group interview asking about past experiences, role plays and problem solving. Try and be the first person to answer so they see that you have leadership experience. After the group interview, I got a call back for a one on one interview. The one on one interview was more focused on getting to know your personality as well as answer questions and explain the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to tell a customer something they did not want to hear?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beachwood, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (Beachwood, OH) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day to schedule an interview on Tuesday. The interview was 1 on 1 and lasted about 25 minutes. The manager was very nice and urged me not to be nervous. He said he just wanted to have a casual conversation, get to know each other, and ask me questions that corporates make him ask all interview candidates. It was in a mall so we had the interview at a table by a coffee shop. He pretty much starts the interview by talking about the store, how many employees they have, etc. Since I had retail experience he asked me situational and behavioral questions. If you have retail and/or customer service experience the answers to these questions should come naturally.

They really want people who are positive and joyful. Make sure you show you are interested in what they are saying and chime in when they start to talk about the positives and accomplishments of the store, show interest. Remember all answers to the questions don't have to be work related answers, they can be related to school and life experiences too. After the interview he pretty much explained the goals of the employees, the pay, and what is expected of the position. He then said he would call if they decide to move forward with me. He had more people to interview.

BIG NOTE: Make sure you leave a good impression on the interviewer, be memorable because mine didn't take any notes or write anything down, and I've heard a lot of them do this at other stores. They jot down notes after the interview when you leave so you have to make sure you leave a good impression.

The next day (Wednesday) I received an email saying he would like to schedule a 15 minute phone interview for tomorrow. When he called it wasn't even an interview it was to tell me I got the job, confirm my availability, and that he was just waiting for the background check. Was a very positive experience.

The easiest questions he asked was
    Tell me about yourself.
    Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to work with a team to accomplish something   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you influenced someone's decision.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to speak to a stranger. How did you initiate the conversation?   Answer Question
    • What made you choose to work retail instead of other service areas like restaurants, theaters, a bank, etc?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. 8.50 for seasonal but if they decide to keep me on it will go to 10.00

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in August 2014.

Interview

Interviewer will ask basic questions. Why did you apply to BR, Why do you think you should be hired? How do you keep up with trend? What skills do you have? Any previous experience?

Interview Questions

• Providing specific situation, interviewer will ask you to style them appropriate to situation they provided   1 Answer