Banana Republic

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Getting the Interview

149 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call the very next day and was interviewed over the phone then scheduled a personal interview. After the interview I got a call after about 4 days and was offered the job.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – Interview was very laid back in the hall of a mall, somewhat unprofessional. Reasonable questions related to the nature of the job.

Interviewed at Banana Republic

Interview Details – Online phone interview. Followed by an in-person individual interview with store manager. After first interview I was scheduled for another interview with the general manager of the store. After completing all interviews was told that a background check would be done and if it came back positive would be getting the job.

Interview Question – Why did I chose that company over many other retail companies?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – You sub,it your résumé online and then speak to the manager in store who is in charge of hiring. They'll bring you into the store and conduct a pretty easy interview. I was hired on the spot. After that there's some easy paperwork and then you're put on the schedule.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Interview Details – one 20 minute interview

Interview Question – What determines a good shopping experience?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Banana Republic

Interview Details – After submitting an online application you will be contacted for a brief phone interview if you appear to meet the base requirements for the position. During the phone call they will ask questions about previous work experience and availability. If you meet those needs they will schedule you for a face to face interview at the store. You may be required to speak with both the hiring manager as well as the general manager.

Interview Question – What style resources do you pull from to guide your own personal style?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was not really room for negotiation.

Interviewed at Banana Republic

Interview Details – One interview before i got an offer, interview was brief.

Negotiation Details – Negotiate a good hourly rate

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I initially looked on the Gap careers website to see what openings were available in my area. I chose a location I wanted to apply to and filled out the application. Part of the application was a test to see if I paid attention to details and had good fashion sense. It involved picking the best articles to match an outfit or determining how many "mistakes" were on a table of merchandise that was sloppily arranged.

A week or so later I got a call from one of the managers inviting me in for an interview. I was working another job at the time (with plans of quitting) and they were very flexible in getting me in on one of my days off. They first asked a lot of really odd questions using language that the interviewer didn't seem very comfortable with (a lot of unnecessarily big words--as a writer I learned that it's best to use simple words when possible) and which sometimes caused me to have to ask for clarification.

I must have answered them correctly, because the next day I had a call asking me to come back and meet with the store manager. I gave up my other day off that week and had a much more informal chat where the manager basically indicated that I had the job (before actually telling me I had the job). We talked about my availability and all that jazz. And that was it.

They claimed they did a background check, but I don't think they did (my last background check took several weeks for some reason, even though there was nothing on it). They also said my references checked out, which was interesting because I didn't put any. I only put my employment history.

Interview Question – Do you think that most people will think about stealing something if they know they might get away with it?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – must apply online thru Taleo. Interview with the Operations Manager, if you get past the "test" on taleo.

Interview Question – Not really an intense interview, they only really every hire for part time seasonal sales positions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none, I was hired on 15 years ago and the process is very different now. I have described how it is now, not then

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – applied online.
two interviews. Group interview and one on one

Interview Question – very generic behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banana Republic

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 149 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees and interview candidates.