Banana Republic Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

I arrived on time but was told to look around the store for awhile. Once the manager came out, she recognized me from shopping in the store previously and complimented my outfit, which boosted my confidence. The interview flowed naturally and I was offered the job the next day.

Interview Questions

• Describe your personal style and how can you relate to our customers?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Applied online, received a call the very next day and was interviewed over the phone then scheduled a personal interview. After the interview I got a call after about 4 days and was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Fill out the application online and do an in store interview.

Interview Questions

• How often do you read style magazines? What are some current styles?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Interview was very laid back in the hall of a mall, somewhat unprofessional. Reasonable questions related to the nature of the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic (San Antonio, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Very simple to get hired when you know somebody that works there.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Pay is what it is... Low/min

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic (Vacaville, CA).

Interview

I turned in my application and they called me for an interview a few days later. First, it was a group interview, then you get a call back for a one-on-one interview. I first applied here when I was a senior in high school so they knew I didn't have much experience. They ask you a lot of behavioral questions like "how would you handle if a customer did ....?"

Interview Questions

• Most questions were pretty basic. No unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You started at minimum wage and got a very little raise the longer you work there.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Group interview, in a stock room setting . After introductions, you will answer a few questions about store situations. Then it's out to the sales floor to complete a sales exercise! Great interview process- everyone was very relaxed!

Interview Questions

• If you have worked in retail- you will not find the questions difficult. If not then just think about how you would like a situation to be handled at the store.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I received a call inviting me to a group interview 1 day after I applied online and went on to the 2nd interview. The day following the 2nd interview, I received a generic e-mail that I didn't get the job.

There were about 10 people at the group interview. The group interview took about 1.5 - 2hrs. We were initially told it would take about 1hr 15 mins, "depending on how chatty we get". We met in the conference room on the 4th floor of the store. We sat down according to where there were folded pieces of paper with our first names on it. The interviewer was about 5 minutes late. During this interview, we were asked a question and sometimes the people on either end of the table would be picked to begin answering or maybe someone randomly from the middle of the table.

We were asked for our availability around the holidays and during the week in general and how many hours we were able to work. Other general interview questions that were asked:

Why are you interested in working at Banana Republic?
    Describe a time when you approached a stranger.
    When is a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
    Describe how you handled a project with little to no direction.

After the questions, the interviewer told us a lot of information about the company, the brand, and the specific store. We were also asked our top 2 preferences for the different sub-groups as Sales Associates: visual, stock, sales, and cashier. Some interviewees asked questions to the interviewer towards the end and before leaving the room, the interviewer told us to say in one sentence or in a few words, what is something unique that we can bring into the job (or something like that).

We were told that we would hear back (via email or phone) by Monday night but I didn't get a call back from them until Tuesday afternoon for a 2nd interview.

The 2nd interview was a 1-on-1 and took place on the 3rd floor in a small room behind a heavy curtain in the Men's section. The very first question I was asked was: Why do you want to work at Banana Republic? (It's a very loaded question because I had so many reasons and had some trouble organizing my thoughts on the spot. Make sure that you have specific reasons and list them out with short explanations to back up your reasons. It'll make more sense that way to the interviewer and you'll have a better sense of direction for yourself, too.)

After that initial question, I was told the position was a visual position, which means merchandising. I was totally up for a visual role but I wish they would have specified in the job description (or even during the 1st interview) so that I could have presented my skills more appropriately when I was answering the question of "why do you want to work at Banana Republic". The 2nd interview isn't really a time to re-share your skills because that's already assessed in the 1st interview. During the 2nd interview, show more of your personality and ask questions that help you determine what that store's culture is like.

The interviewer described the visual position and for the rest of the interview, it was just me asking questions about the culture of this particular store. The interviewer was very patient and elaborate in the answers to the questions that I asked. The interview took about 30-35 minutes. There were also people that I saw from the 1st interview going before and after me.

Overall, Banana Republic is a great brand under a great company and I just need to remind myself that every store's culture is different even though they're under one brand. This is because different groups of people work in different stores. Although I may not fit in with the culture of this particular store, I might fit in well with another Banana Republic store elsewhere.

During the 2nd interview, I asked what the leadership style was like at that store and I was told that each supervisor has a different leadership style and in the end, "they're human". Another question I asked was, "What is a challenge of working in this position?" To which I was told something like, "Working in a large team." I like being around many different people so working on a large team is actually favorable to me. I just found it interesting that I was given that particular answer, which is, once again, culture-related. I guess it's all about the culture. And I agree, good cultural fit in any job is very important.

Usually, 1st interviews determine whether your skills fit the job and the 2nd interviews determine your cultural fit with the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic (Brea, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Filled out an application online, received a phone called about 8 days later about the position and to come in for an interview. I had a 1 on 1 interview with the manager 2 days later. I walked into the store met with the manager for about 20 mins. After the interview he offered me the position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview

Called in for group interview. It was just me and three other people. The interview questions weren't really questions to be exact. The customer service supervisor (hiring agent) just asked us what it means to be a brand ambassador. We had a big discussion about our previous jobs, teamwork, how each of us acted when it got busy. It was a really relaxed environment, it felt like I was on break and just chatting it up.

Interview Questions

• How would you divide your time between treating customers and doing other projects when it gets busy?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked $8-9/hr and was offered $9.50.