Banana Republic

2.2

185 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2013.

Filled out an application online, received a phone called about 8 days later about the position and to come in for an interview. I had a 1 on 1 interview with the manager 2 days later. I walked into the store met with the manager for about 20 mins. After the interview he offered me the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Called in for group interview. It was just me and three other people. The interview questions weren't really questions to be exact. The customer service supervisor (hiring agent) just asked us what it means to be a brand ambassador. We had a big discussion about our previous jobs, teamwork, how each of us acted when it got busy. It was a really relaxed environment, it felt like I was on break and just chatting it up.

Interview Questions
    • How would you divide your time between treating customers and doing other projects when it gets busy?   Answer Question
    I asked $8-9/hr and was offered $9.50.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

The hiring process went by extremely quickly, so I'm not sure if they were desperate to hire, liked me very much, or if everything just fell conveniently in that order.

I submitted my application online sometime late in the night. I received a call the following afternoon in which I was pre-screened and then scheduled for an in-person interview in two days after the call. I went into the interview five minutes early (as specifically tipped, because they had a really tight schedule they were running; I believe there were interviews before and after me) and sat down for a good 45 minutes talking and answering questions, before we did a little role play activity where I played Sales Associate and the GM acted as a customer. I was thinking positively, because she introduced me to every room of the women's floor with a lot of detail, getting me on-board with the culture of the store. I was feeling pretty good except a few answers in the actual interview that didn't run off my tongue quite as smoothly. There's nothing scary about the workers there! They all wear very friendly faces and the atmosphere was very welcoming! The day after the interview, I received a call from the hiring manager (who had pre-screened me) and she had given me a job offer!

They're very cool about working with my schedule (although that may be in part due to my fairly open schedule), and she praised me on my positive and energetic attitude, so I would say to definitely bring that into any retail you're looking at getting into! Also, the GM was impressed with me being open to approaching people, so try to do that, too! I have experience working with customers, because I've been working at a craft store for a little under two years now, so it's good to feed off your experience at any work sites you've been to! Overall, the interview was casual and optimistic. Just show them your extroverted side and be honest!

Interview Questions
    • - What kind of components come into making a big decision for you?
      - With every company there are, of course, policies, but if it were up to you, how would you control a customer's situation if it meant violating a store policy?

View Answer
    I asked for $8 hourly, because when I started my other job, I was getting paid, $7.50 (which is only $0.25 above minimum..) and it took me two years to get a $0.50 raise. They offered $8.75 and the hiring manager said she was "confident in (me)" as a new hire, so I was more than ecstatic to accept! (Especially with the amazing discounts!)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

I applied online and got a email the next few couple of days. It was a small group interview. The interview took place at their break room. There were a few employee walking around and having their lunch. The manager was very nice and I felt comfortable talking to her.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

I applied online and received a call for a group interview the next day. The interview was with two other girls and was to my surprise, very casual. The interviewer asked basic questions (What is good service? What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses? Why should we hire you?) The interview lasted about an hour (most of it was just her talking about the store and what would be expected of us) and I received a job offer two days later.

Interview Questions
    There were no negotiations. This was my first job. I was offered $7.50 (minimum wage here is $7.40) and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Fill out a lengthy online application evaluating your knowledge of retail operations and loss prevention in a quiz style fashion.
    If selected, have a one on one interview involving questions about why you want to work there, what your strengths are, and how you have developed a base of fashion knowledge. The interview includes a tour of the sales floor and a brief test of fashion. You are required to select an outfit for a specific scenario given to you by your interviewer as a way of judging your abilities.

Interview Questions
    • The need to pick out an outfit. I was woefully unaware of this portion of the interview.   View Answer
    They offered me an hourly rate that I could accept or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

Pretty easy to get hired- you just have to be assertive to get an interview after you applied online. Go to the store you want to get hired and just ask if they are looking to hire. If they do, from that point just ask for an interview and tell them you already applied online.

Interview Questions
    • You really need to be assertive to get an interview. It's not easy to be a nagger mean while you are trying to look good so you'll get hired.   Answer Question
    No negotiation- you get a final offer. You take it or you leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

It was a group interview. It took place outside the shop - in a cafe place. There were two managers, the store manager and the regional manager. There were lots of situational questions, one of the managers would answer it first for you to give you an idea on how to answer that question and then they would asked you to tell your answers/stories. Or sometimes, they would answer first then hear your answer. It's a very laid back interview. We're more like chit-chatting with ourselves than having an interview.

After the interview outside, you would all go back to the shop and they would tell you to grab a work outfit and asked you to describe why you pick it.

Interview Questions
    • What is Banana Republic brand ambassador? How can you carry yourself as a brand ambassador?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I interviewed at Soho for a Sales Position with the head supervisor. Thanks to this website, I was able to prepare myself for this interview. I was so nervous for no reason. It was really simple. I applied online and got an email to schedule an interview. I picked the 4:30 group interview slot because I felt as though a lot of people wouldn't. The less people in your group interview the better because you have space for your own unique answers. The interview was probably 10-15 minutes and it was myself and another girl. Really sweet and straightforward. It was a good experience. Below are ALL the questions I was asked.