Banana Republic

Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2013.

I received a call inviting me to a group interview 1 day after I applied online and went on to the 2nd interview. The day following the 2nd interview, I received a generic e-mail that I didn't get the job.

There were about 10 people at the group interview. The group interview took about 1.5 - 2hrs. We were initially told it would take about 1hr 15 mins, "depending on how chatty we get". We met in the conference room on the 4th floor of the store. We sat down according to where there were folded pieces of paper with our first names on it. The interviewer was about 5 minutes late. During this interview, we were asked a question and sometimes the people on either end of the table would be picked to begin answering or maybe someone randomly from the middle of the table.

We were asked for our availability around the holidays and during the week in general and how many hours we were able to work. Other general interview questions that were asked:

Why are you interested in working at Banana Republic?
Describe a time when you approached a stranger.
When is a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
Describe how you handled a project with little to no direction.

After the questions, the interviewer told us a lot of information about the company, the brand, and the specific store. We were also asked our top 2 preferences for the different sub-groups as Sales Associates: visual, stock, sales, and cashier. Some interviewees asked questions to the interviewer towards the end and before leaving the room, the interviewer told us to say in one sentence or in a few words, what is something unique that we can bring into the job (or something like that).

We were told that we would hear back (via email or phone) by Monday night but I didn't get a call back from them until Tuesday afternoon for a 2nd interview.

The 2nd interview was a 1-on-1 and took place on the 3rd floor in a small room behind a heavy curtain in the Men's section. The very first question I was asked was: Why do you want to work at Banana Republic? (It's a very loaded question because I had so many reasons and had some trouble organizing my thoughts on the spot. Make sure that you have specific reasons and list them out with short explanations to back up your reasons. It'll make more sense that way to the interviewer and you'll have a better sense of direction for yourself, too.)

After that initial question, I was told the position was a visual position, which means merchandising. I was totally up for a visual role but I wish they would have specified in the job description (or even during the 1st interview) so that I could have presented my skills more appropriately when I was answering the question of "why do you want to work at Banana Republic". The 2nd interview isn't really a time to re-share your skills because that's already assessed in the 1st interview. During the 2nd interview, show more of your personality and ask questions that help you determine what that store's culture is like.

The interviewer described the visual position and for the rest of the interview, it was just me asking questions about the culture of this particular store. The interviewer was very patient and elaborate in the answers to the questions that I asked. The interview took about 30-35 minutes. There were also people that I saw from the 1st interview going before and after me.

Overall, Banana Republic is a great brand under a great company and I just need to remind myself that every store's culture is different even though they're under one brand. This is because different groups of people work in different stores. Although I may not fit in with the culture of this particular store, I might fit in well with another Banana Republic store elsewhere.

During the 2nd interview, I asked what the leadership style was like at that store and I was told that each supervisor has a different leadership style and in the end, "they're human". Another question I asked was, "What is a challenge of working in this position?" To which I was told something like, "Working in a large team." I like being around many different people so working on a large team is actually favorable to me. I just found it interesting that I was given that particular answer, which is, once again, culture-related. I guess it's all about the culture. And I agree, good cultural fit in any job is very important.

Usually, 1st interviews determine whether your skills fit the job and the 2nd interviews determine your cultural fit with the job.

Other Interview Reviews for Banana Republic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in October 2013.

Filled out an application online, received a phone called about 8 days later about the position and to come in for an interview. I had a 1 on 1 interview with the manager 2 days later. I walked into the store met with the manager for about 20 mins. After the interview he offered me the position.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

Called in for group interview. It was just me and three other people. The interview questions weren't really questions to be exact. The customer service supervisor (hiring agent) just asked us what it means to be a brand ambassador. We had a big discussion about our previous jobs, teamwork, how each of us acted when it got busy. It was a really relaxed environment, it felt like I was on break and just chatting it up.

Interview Questions
    • How would you divide your time between treating customers and doing other projects when it gets busy?   Answer Question
    I asked $8-9/hr and was offered $9.50.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

The hiring process went by extremely quickly, so I'm not sure if they were desperate to hire, liked me very much, or if everything just fell conveniently in that order.

I submitted my application online sometime late in the night. I received a call the following afternoon in which I was pre-screened and then scheduled for an in-person interview in two days after the call. I went into the interview five minutes early (as specifically tipped, because they had a really tight schedule they were running; I believe there were interviews before and after me) and sat down for a good 45 minutes talking and answering questions, before we did a little role play activity where I played Sales Associate and the GM acted as a customer. I was thinking positively, because she introduced me to every room of the women's floor with a lot of detail, getting me on-board with the culture of the store. I was feeling pretty good except a few answers in the actual interview that didn't run off my tongue quite as smoothly. There's nothing scary about the workers there! They all wear very friendly faces and the atmosphere was very welcoming! The day after the interview, I received a call from the hiring manager (who had pre-screened me) and she had given me a job offer!

They're very cool about working with my schedule (although that may be in part due to my fairly open schedule), and she praised me on my positive and energetic attitude, so I would say to definitely bring that into any retail you're looking at getting into! Also, the GM was impressed with me being open to approaching people, so try to do that, too! I have experience working with customers, because I've been working at a craft store for a little under two years now, so it's good to feed off your experience at any work sites you've been to! Overall, the interview was casual and optimistic. Just show them your extroverted side and be honest!

Interview Questions
    • - What kind of components come into making a big decision for you?
      - With every company there are, of course, policies, but if it were up to you, how would you control a customer's situation if it meant violating a store policy?

View Answer
    I asked for $8 hourly, because when I started my other job, I was getting paid, $7.50 (which is only $0.25 above minimum..) and it took me two years to get a $0.50 raise. They offered $8.75 and the hiring manager said she was "confident in (me)" as a new hire, so I was more than ecstatic to accept! (Especially with the amazing discounts!)

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

I applied online and got a email the next few couple of days. It was a small group interview. The interview took place at their break room. There were a few employee walking around and having their lunch. The manager was very nice and I felt comfortable talking to her.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

I applied online and received a call for a group interview the next day. The interview was with two other girls and was to my surprise, very casual. The interviewer asked basic questions (What is good service? What are your greatest strengths/weaknesses? Why should we hire you?) The interview lasted about an hour (most of it was just her talking about the store and what would be expected of us) and I received a job offer two days later.

Interview Questions
    There were no negotiations. This was my first job. I was offered $7.50 (minimum wage here is $7.40) and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Fill out a lengthy online application evaluating your knowledge of retail operations and loss prevention in a quiz style fashion.
    If selected, have a one on one interview involving questions about why you want to work there, what your strengths are, and how you have developed a base of fashion knowledge. The interview includes a tour of the sales floor and a brief test of fashion. You are required to select an outfit for a specific scenario given to you by your interviewer as a way of judging your abilities.

Interview Questions
    • The need to pick out an outfit. I was woefully unaware of this portion of the interview.   View Answer
    They offered me an hourly rate that I could accept or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2013.

Pretty easy to get hired- you just have to be assertive to get an interview after you applied online. Go to the store you want to get hired and just ask if they are looking to hire. If they do, from that point just ask for an interview and tell them you already applied online.

Interview Questions
    • You really need to be assertive to get an interview. It's not easy to be a nagger mean while you are trying to look good so you'll get hired.   Answer Question
    No negotiation- you get a final offer. You take it or you leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in August 2013.

You can apply online, submit your application, and expect to be called in about a week if you receive an interview. The interview takes place with a group with a store lead at the head of the discussion. The group interview may seem intimidating at first, but the interview is very informal and conversational.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you turned a negative situation into a positive situation in a past job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

It was a group interview. It took place outside the shop - in a cafe place. There were two managers, the store manager and the regional manager. There were lots of situational questions, one of the managers would answer it first for you to give you an idea on how to answer that question and then they would asked you to tell your answers/stories. Or sometimes, they would answer first then hear your answer. It's a very laid back interview. We're more like chit-chatting with ourselves than having an interview.

After the interview outside, you would all go back to the shop and they would tell you to grab a work outfit and asked you to describe why you pick it.

Interview Questions
    • What is Banana Republic brand ambassador? How can you carry yourself as a brand ambassador?   Answer Question