Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Skokie, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online, had a short phone interview, then was called for an interview in person. I was offered the job on the spot after some easy behavioral questions and a role play scenario where I assisted a manager-playing-a-customer pick out some work appropriate clothes. There was a background check as well.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to deal with someone who was difficult to negotiate with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked what my salary expectations were, we agreed quite easily

Toledo, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Banana Republic in December 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process went smoothly. I was hired in 2007 to participate as a Sales Support Associate and work closely with the lead visual merchandiser. This was helpful for me as I was studying retail at the time, so I benefited from his expert advice.

Interview Question – I don't think I ever experienced a difficult question. The interview process was straightforward and comfortable. Having worked in retail for some time, I was prepared and knowledgeable.   Answer Question

Sales Support Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – Group interviews, then got call for a second interview one on one. Two weeks later got a job offer.

Interview Question – The second interview was fairly easy I simply had to talk about my interest, and what I wanted for my future.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first retail job and I was content with the offer.

Sales Support Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – Phone Call. Group Interview with all behavioral questions.

Interview Question – All questions were normal and come up often.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call just a few hours after. The lady called to schedule a spot for me at the group interview sessions. So we made an appointment. I went in wearing a pretty casual attire, while everyone else was oddly dressed up so bad. I was glad the supervisor was also very casual with flats and a shirt with a cardigan. There were 9 of us in one conference room and we had to answer questions one by one. We also got paired up and were told to introduce our partners and explain why they deserve the job they were applying for. We also had a role playing exercise where we had to try to sell a dress.

Overall it was a fun and easy interview.

Interview Question – Tell us about your most favorite and least favorite bosses in the past.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in December 2011.

Interview Details – Were asked about our best and worst service experienced and told to elaborate on why they were good or not so good. We were also asked in customer service what was most important.

Interview Question – What is good customer service?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in July 2010.

Interview Details – I came in for a one on one interview with the hiring manager. It took about a half hour. She asked me questions such as "Why do you want to work here?" and "What does great customer service mean to you?" pretty much questions I have been asked when applying to other positions. When we were done she asked me if I had any questions for her. I asked her about the dress code (which has since changed) and she proceded to tell me that, and all the other requirements for the position I was applying to. I felt pretty confident at the end of the interview but got a little nervous when I didn't get a call the next day. My interview was on a Tuesday, and I received a phone call Friday afternoon telling me I was hired. Orientation took place the following Thursday.

Interview Questions

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call about a week later from the customer experience manager. She asked me to come in for a group interview the next evening and told me the interview attire was business casual. I arrived about 10 minutes before the interview started; a few minutes later, another girl came in. The "group" interview ended up consisting of just me and that other girl. After waiting several minutes, the customer experience manager showed up and took us back to the stock room. She told us a little bit about the company and basically talked about the Gap Inc. brand and praised how great it is. She then asked us a few questions (we both had to answer all of the questions she asked), she talked more about the company, and that was it. I'd say we were only asked about 4 questions in total - the woman interviewing us talked more than we did. She said she'd let us know either that night or the next day if we got the job. I didn't hear back so I assumed I hadn't gotten it. 4 days later I receive a voicemail from the store's GM offering me the job. I asked several questions about the position and then accepted it, but only because I'm desperate for a job. The GM said that part-time sales support associates only get between 15-23 hours a week depending on availability.

Overall the store seemed laid back and the employees all seemed friendly. The only downside to the position seemed to be the fact that we were only going to be offered part-time hours; we were given the whole "hours are based on performance, but I've never had anyone NOT get hours" spiel, which I'm not sure I entirely believe.

Interview Questions

• How would you define integrity?   View Answer
  • When you first enter a store, what's the first thing you notice? What one thing makes or breaks a shopping experience for you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate although I should have considering that I have a college education.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2010.

Interview Details – It started of good. The group interview was pretty easy. The district manager just asked questions and went around in a circle to get the answers. This lasted no longer than an hour. A few days later i recieved a call being asked to come back for a second interview. The second interview was also a group interview with the HR manager. That was easy too. They pretty much just want you to suck up and say how much you love BR. About a week later I recieved a phone call stating that I had been hired. I accepted the offer and was told I would be contacted in regard to an orientation session. The first session they scheduled I was unable to attened because it conflicted with my other job schedule. I was then told that they would call me back to schedule another session. I never recieved this call. A few days later I called and spoke with the DM who told me they were working on scheduling another orientation...it is now a month later and i'm still waiting....

Interview Question – what can you bring to the br work environment?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2008.

Interview Details – The people I interviewed with were very nice. It was my first interview so it was fairly easy. They asked basic interview questions then i interviewed with someone else. I got the interview from just applying online and then she called me. I was very surprised to get the call. I just thought it was lost through the web.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Banana Republic?   Answer Question

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!