Banana Republic

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.5

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2014.

Applying online for Sales Associate Position 9/5. Received a call on 9/8 asking if I could come in for a group interview on 9/12 but I was out of town and couldn't make It. Was told I'd be called back 9/12 after group interviews to set up either a one on one or group interview. Was called 9/12 at 7pm to schedule interview for Sunday 9/14. Interview went awesome! Was told I'd hear from hiring manager by 9/15 by 5pm. Received a call at 3pm with job offer for 13.25 (I told them my expected salary was 13). The entire process was simple, quick, and everyone has been very nice so far. Was asked to come in 9/16 for Orientation, but I couldn't make it. So I will be attending orientation 9/24 and starting training the following day and will begin work on the following Monday. Very applicable and relevant questions were asked: Where do you see yourself in 3 years? What does customer service mean to you? Describe to me a time where you had to go above and beyond in a difficult situation in order to achieve amazing customer service. Where does your personal style come from? How do you keep up with fashion trends?

Interview Questions
    • Where does your personal style come from?   View Answer
    I was asked what my expected salary was in the interview and I said 13/hr but that I was possibly open for some flexibility. When I received the call and was extended a job offer, I was told that the usual starting pay was 10.50, but because of my experience and my eagerness to move up quickly with the company, they extended a 13.25/ hr offer to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I was 30 minutes early and during the interview there were two other people. The interviewer started off introducing herself and then later asked us to introduce ourselves. It was somewhat of an ice breaker. As the interviewer was asking questions, anyone in the group was allowed to give an answer. Answering the questions wasn't in order which was good. I made sure to answer first since it shows that you are confident showing good potential. It took about 20 minutes and my interviewer was really friendly and approachable.

Interview Questions
    • There was about 5-7 questions asked. I will only list the ones I remember:
      1. Why should Banana Republic hire you?
      2. Why did you choose to apply to Banana Republic?
      3. Have you ever encountered having to multi-task from your previous jobs?
      4. What were your previous job experiences?
      5. Name a time when you didn't know anyone in your new job, how did you deal with it?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I had tried submitting my resume previously, but found that once I actually went in to the store, I was able to get the correct link for the current open positions. I went through a group interview that involved a conversation about previous sales experience and customer experience management. At the time they were hiring seasonally. They extended me an offer after which the seasonal hires went through training and additional evaluation and conversation to determine which role we would hold while in the store. Finally, after seasonal employment ended (approximately 3 months around Christmas), they extended me a part-time offer during the exit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you have dealt with a difficult person.   Answer Question
    Because I had a degree and previous sales experience, I was able to get a salary increase after the seasonal work.

Brand Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Banana Republic in March 2014.

I submitted my resume online and they called me in for an interview. It was a very easy interview, and it seemed like they had already decided that they wanted me based on my resume. Not particularly stressful, and everybody was very friendly. They had me walk the floor quite a bit just to check out the merchandise and get a feel for the brand.

Interview Questions
    They offered me more than Gap Inc's new minimum wage and I took it.

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic in February 2014.

Applied online to the Stonestown store, heard back from them within a few days, and then scheduled an interview. I showed up 30 minutes early, they told me to hold on while they notified the Sales Manager, and was not addressed till 10 minutes after the scheduled interview time. The sales manager came in finally and greeted me and two other interviewees (which I was unaware there would be) and we were walked back to the break room. He was wearing camouflage pants, and the other two interviewees were wearing jeans, which I thought was odd considering the store. He then began reading from a packet he said Banana Republic "makes him read". Struggling over sentences, he read them off and had us all answer. We did so in no particular order, and the other two candidates usually waited as if unsure of how to answer, so I was usually speaking first. Once the questions were finished, which took about an hour, he had us go out and pick two outfits (one for a guy and one for a girl) and create and outfit they could change into without going home to change. This took about 25 minutes, we came in and then showed him. Pitched our scenarios. He said great, then awkwardly commented on how he didn't judge us on how fashionable our choices were because he doesn't know much about fashion.... Most important part of the interview was him making the case that you need to sell the Banana Republic credit card, which I was the only interviewee who knew what it was and the importance behind it. We left and within two days they sent out an email notifying me I did not get the job, besides being over qualified for the position. Not sure if the other two got the job, I would assume not considering they were extremely underdressed and did not answer the questions well, but the way the interviewer acted and presented himself, I wouldn't be too surprised. Completely unprofessional interview and really a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just trying to get you to sell the credit card.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vacaville, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Banana Republic.

I turned in my application and they called me for an interview a few days later. First, it was a group interview, then you get a call back for a one-on-one interview. I first applied here when I was a senior in high school so they knew I didn't have much experience. They ask you a lot of behavioral questions like "how would you handle if a customer did ....?"

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were pretty basic. No unexpected question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You started at minimum wage and got a very little raise the longer you work there.

Men's Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Banana Republic.

I replied to the post on Craigslist then got a call from the HR manager. He asked me to come in for a group interview. When I got there there were about 7 other people waiting by the stairs. The HR manager came and got us and we all when to the conference room where we were all asked the same questions and each had a chance to answer them. I got a call back after for a light one on one interview then offered the job.

Interview Questions
    Not much room for negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Group interview.

Had everyone chat with the person next to them then introduce them to the group. Several typical sales/retail questions about how to sell things or assist customers. The last question was to how to sell the BR credit card. The premises were given. Then, in a scenario, you were told to 'pitch' the card.

Interview Questions
    • something along the lines of how to sell the BR card to customers. Note* as a BR employee your main job really is to open up as many credit card accounts as possible.   Answer Question

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic in June 2012.

I applied online and got a call just a few hours after. The lady called to schedule a spot for me at the group interview sessions. So we made an appointment. I went in wearing a pretty casual attire, while everyone else was oddly dressed up so bad. I was glad the supervisor was also very casual with flats and a shirt with a cardigan. There were 9 of us in one conference room and we had to answer questions one by one. We also got paired up and were told to introduce our partners and explain why they deserve the job they were applying for. We also had a role playing exercise where we had to try to sell a dress.

Overall it was a fun and easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your most favorite and least favorite bosses in the past.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

The manager called on my phone on one Wednesday and see if I'd like to have an interview with them on Thursday or Friday. I told them I'm not at San Francisco at the moment and if he was fine with a phone interview on Friday at 5pm. He said yes. On Friday, I left my job early and waited for his call for 30 minutes, then I called him instead. He said he was unprofessional that he HAD FORGOTTEN and would like to reschedule it the next Wednesday. He ask me to call him in case he forget again. I called him on at 6 like we said on Wednesday but couldn't reach him. I called again, but he's co-worker said he has just left because he's off.... He forgot AGAIN!! then I get to talk to another manager. She said she was sorry about what happened but the position just got filled in on the same day that the other manager supposed to interview me....BAD experience!!