Banana Republic

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I was 30 minutes early and during the interview there were two other people. The interviewer started off introducing herself and then later asked us to introduce ourselves. It was somewhat of an ice breaker. As the interviewer was asking questions, anyone in the group was allowed to give an answer. Answering the questions wasn't in order which was good. I made sure to answer first since it shows that you are confident showing good potential. It took about 20 minutes and my interviewer was really friendly and approachable.

Interview Question – There was about 5-7 questions asked. I will only list the ones I remember:
1. Why should Banana Republic hire you?
2. Why did you choose to apply to Banana Republic?
3. Have you ever encountered having to multi-task from your previous jobs?
4. What were your previous job experiences?
5. Name a time when you didn't know anyone in your new job, how did you deal with it?
  Answer Question

Brand Ambassador Interview

Brand Ambassador
Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Banana Republic in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and they called me in for an interview. It was a very easy interview, and it seemed like they had already decided that they wanted me based on my resume. Not particularly stressful, and everybody was very friendly. They had me walk the floor quite a bit just to check out the merchandise and get a feel for the brand.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Banana Republic?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me more than Gap Inc's new minimum wage and I took it.

Emeryville, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I had tried submitting my resume previously, but found that once I actually went in to the store, I was able to get the correct link for the current open positions. I went through a group interview that involved a conversation about previous sales experience and customer experience management. At the time they were hiring seasonally. They extended me an offer after which the seasonal hires went through training and additional evaluation and conversation to determine which role we would hold while in the store. Finally, after seasonal employment ended (approximately 3 months around Christmas), they extended me a part-time offer during the exit interview.

Interview Question – Describe a time you have dealt with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because I had a degree and previous sales experience, I was able to get a salary increase after the seasonal work.

Very Easy Interview

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online to the Stonestown store, heard back from them within a few days, and then scheduled an interview. I showed up 30 minutes early, they told me to hold on while they notified the Sales Manager, and was not addressed till 10 minutes after the scheduled interview time. The sales manager came in finally and greeted me and two other interviewees (which I was unaware there would be) and we were walked back to the break room. He was wearing camouflage pants, and the other two interviewees were wearing jeans, which I thought was odd considering the store. He then began reading from a packet he said Banana Republic "makes him read". Struggling over sentences, he read them off and had us all answer. We did so in no particular order, and the other two candidates usually waited as if unsure of how to answer, so I was usually speaking first. Once the questions were finished, which took about an hour, he had us go out and pick two outfits (one for a guy and one for a girl) and create and outfit they could change into without going home to change. This took about 25 minutes, we came in and then showed him. Pitched our scenarios. He said great, then awkwardly commented on how he didn't judge us on how fashionable our choices were because he doesn't know much about fashion.... Most important part of the interview was him making the case that you need to sell the Banana Republic credit card, which I was the only interviewee who knew what it was and the importance behind it. We left and within two days they sent out an email notifying me I did not get the job, besides being over qualified for the position. Not sure if the other two got the job, I would assume not considering they were extremely underdressed and did not answer the questions well, but the way the interviewer acted and presented himself, I wouldn't be too surprised. Completely unprofessional interview and really a waste of time.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just trying to get you to sell the credit card.   Answer Question

Vacaville, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I turned in my application and they called me for an interview a few days later. First, it was a group interview, then you get a call back for a one-on-one interview. I first applied here when I was a senior in high school so they knew I didn't have much experience. They ask you a lot of behavioral questions like "how would you handle if a customer did ....?"

Interview Question – Most questions were pretty basic. No unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You started at minimum wage and got a very little raise the longer you work there.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banana Republic in September 2012.

Interview Details – Group interview.

Had everyone chat with the person next to them then introduce them to the group. Several typical sales/retail questions about how to sell things or assist customers. The last question was to how to sell the BR credit card. The premises were given. Then, in a scenario, you were told to 'pitch' the card.

Interview Question – something along the lines of how to sell the BR card to customers. Note* as a BR employee your main job really is to open up as many credit card accounts as possible.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2010.

Interview Details – group interview asked about retail wxperience

Interview Question – how to handle crappy customers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no

Men's Sales Interview

Men's Sales
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Banana Republic.

Interview Details – I replied to the post on Craigslist then got a call from the HR manager. He asked me to come in for a group interview. When I got there there were about 7 other people waiting by the stairs. The HR manager came and got us and we all when to the conference room where we were all asked the same questions and each had a chance to answer them. I got a call back after for a light one on one interview then offered the job.

Interview Question – How would you sell me this V-neck sweater?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation.

Sales Support Associate Interview

Sales Support Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call just a few hours after. The lady called to schedule a spot for me at the group interview sessions. So we made an appointment. I went in wearing a pretty casual attire, while everyone else was oddly dressed up so bad. I was glad the supervisor was also very casual with flats and a shirt with a cardigan. There were 9 of us in one conference room and we had to answer questions one by one. We also got paired up and were told to introduce our partners and explain why they deserve the job they were applying for. We also had a role playing exercise where we had to try to sell a dress.

Overall it was a fun and easy interview.

Interview Question – Tell us about your most favorite and least favorite bosses in the past.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Lead Interview

Customer Experience Lead
San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Banana Republic in May 2012.

Interview Details – The manager called on my phone on one Wednesday and see if I'd like to have an interview with them on Thursday or Friday. I told them I'm not at San Francisco at the moment and if he was fine with a phone interview on Friday at 5pm. He said yes. On Friday, I left my job early and waited for his call for 30 minutes, then I called him instead. He said he was unprofessional that he HAD FORGOTTEN and would like to reschedule it the next Wednesday. He ask me to call him in case he forget again. I called him on at 6 like we said on Wednesday but couldn't reach him. I called again, but he's co-worker said he has just left because he's off.... He forgot AGAIN!! then I get to talk to another manager. She said she was sorry about what happened but the position just got filled in on the same day that the other manager supposed to interview me....BAD experience!!

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!