Banfield Pet Hospital

Getting the Interview

76 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Practice Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in April 2014.

Interview Details – I am currently interviewing for the position as we speak. I've passed the first three interviews and I am awaiting the for my fourth one, whcich will be tomorrw!! :)

Interview Question – The most unexepected question that they have asked me thus far, is what do I think culture is, and how is the cutlure in my current workplace.   View Answer

Senior Programmer Analyst Net Developer Interview

Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in February 2014.

Interview Details – It started with a quick phone call interview. They just asked one question after another without giving you time to answer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to relocate to Oregon?
How would you prevent certain types from entering a collection via attributes?
  Answer Question

Client Service Coordinator (CSC) Interview

Client Service Coordinator (CSC)
Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email from the Practice Manager asking for an interview. I called, but she was busy, so I replied via email and the appointment was set. The interview took place in the back of the hospital, giving me a good look of the surgery/dental area.

The manager and another CSC were present and asked questions from a list. I don't know if they were provided by Banfield or were just pulled from online. The questions were all pretty much customer service oriented. I was asked for lots of examples of times when something happened that was really good, bad, extraordinary. I was asked what my ideal schedule would be, to which I said 4 days a week at ~10 hours a day. Those were hours I was used to working. I was asked what kind of work load I am comfortable with. I actually prefer to be kept busy so I don't get sluggish or lazy, and so that is what I told them.

There were also questions about my history with animals and the medical field. I didn't have any pets at the time because I was just out of college and couldn't afford to support another living creature. My family fostered dogs and I grew up with cats and I had volunteered at the local Humane Society, so I had a lot of contact and experience with pets.

Interview Question – How would you manage direct reports?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – When asked about compensation, I said my previous job was $12 an hour and I would really like that much at least. I knew from looking on this site that $12 was also the median pay for this position for my area. She accepted that amount with little hesitation. However, I should say I have a bachelor's degree and experience in health care and customer service, so someone without either or both might get less. Then there were the regular corporate discounts and stuff that everyone gets, which I probably will never use.

Associate Veterinarian Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital.

Interview Details – Lasted about a month... but they have extremely high doctor turn-over so are a bit desperate to get people in there and will paint a rosy picture and tell you whatever you want to hear. Save yourself now and "don't do it". Don't forget, I warned you.

Interview Question – None, all pretty typical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Thought I "negotiated" always having another doctor on the premises and also to a specific time for training, but I was lied to and shorted on both counts.

Plainfield, IN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call within the week. There was an impromptu phone interview including a query about pay expectations. At the end I was asked to come in two days later for a formal interview with the practice manager at the location to which I had applied. The interview went well and most questions were about customer service (Tell me a time you turned a frustrated customer into a happy customer, etc). At the conclusion I was told the interview process required a second interview at a different location and if that went well, shadowing at the clinic for a few hours.

I received a call to set up the second interview within 10 minutes of leaving the first interview. It was very different. Only 2-3 of the questions overlapped. This time the practice manager asked me much more specific to me questions. She was much more direct and businesslike than the first practice manager (who was very friendly and easy to talk to). Still, the interview went well and she was clear about how she felt about it at the end. Two days later I received a call asking me to come in and shadow for three hours. I did and at the end was told I would hear back in a few days. 4 days later I was made an offer.

I was initially unsure about working for Banfield but after my first interview I knew for sure that I would love to have the job. The practice manager was great and I love that the interview process was so detailed. I don't like when companies are not careful about the people they hire and have high turnover rates.

Interview Question – The only difficult question was "Tell me about a time you provided such good customer service that a customer asked specifically for you from then on." It was only difficult because I had just answered a similar question with an example of exactly that.

The most unexpected questions were, "Would you have quit your other job if you hadn't moved away?" and "Do you need insurance?"
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked on the phone interview and at the second formal interview how much I wanted to make. I was offered a little less, but told there was a raise after 90 days so I accepted.

Montgomeryville, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted 2 weeks after applying online (although I have been applying for years). Impromptu phone interview when they called, came in for an interview 2 days later. That called that evening setting up a Observation Day, called me within the hour to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond to make a customer happy?   Answer Question
  • Was there ever a time where there was a problem with an employee? How did you deal with that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay was briefly spoken about on the phone interview, but then at the actual interview, she mentioned a pay range that was lower than expected. Due to my experience, they ended up offering me the highest of the range, which was the lowest I would settle for. Still happy!

Practice Manager Interview

Practice Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in January 2011.

Interview Details – Excellent interview process. Had two interviews, both were detailed.

Interview Question – How would you handle a doctor who is lazy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't have to negotiate.

Veterinary Assistant Interview

Veterinary Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in April 2012.

Interview Details – One on one then took a tour through the hospital

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. Why banfield? What experience do you have? Why should we choose you?   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in February 2014.

Interview Details – Online application, standard fare. Phone interview with an assistant to the practice manager. Why do you want to work for Banfield, why did you leave your last position, what pay rate are you looking for. We scheduled and in person interview with the practice manager within 3 days. Typical questions. Manager was friendly, knowledgeable and a great representative of Banfield. My experience with her and the CSC on duty just intensified my interest in working for the company.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself that is not on your resume. This isn't a difficult question but it is a GREAT opportunity to really showcase something about you that would help the company.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The practice manager thought a different position might make me happier and I agreed to explore it. I look forward to working with that manager in the future though, she was fantastic.

Veterinary Assistant Interview

Veterinary Assistant
Georgetown, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Banfield Pet Hospital in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone message a week or two later. At the time I was in another state, and hiring team was very accommodating to fit in my interview, etc.

Interview Question – How you dealt with a grumpy customer in the past and what did you learn from that experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, asked for more money. Manager accepted.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Banfield Pet Hospital

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banfield Pet Hospital interview questions and advice. All 76 interview reviews posted anonymously by Banfield Pet Hospital employees and interview candidates.