Bang & Olufsen

Bang & Olufsen Interview Questions

Updated Nov 11, 2014
Updated Nov 11, 2014

Audio/Video Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen.

The manager literally didn't seem to know what he was doing. He actually said "I've never done this really before, do you have any questions for me?" I then proceeded to rule the interview for over 30 minutes. Based on this experience I wasn't sure I even wanted the position, but the job market was tough and I took it. Three years later I look back on that interview as an ideal example of why I should have stayed away. There are no HR "rulebooks" at B&O, everything is run by a single overburdened and single-minded HR "assistant" who also helps the National sales manager out. If you worked for Apple or were a DJ, or perhaps pushed paper at Office Depot you'll be hired on as management with no background or drug checks. Within months these individuals seem to become overwhelmed and either sue the company or disappear.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. you take their base salary and start off as a "play specialist". If you do well after 6 months they send you to training so you can sell larger solution products and become a "real salesperson". The kick is you don't really get paid more, you just get more responsibility.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen in February 2014.

Several interviews with a recruiter; two phone interviews and one Skype interview. Then a meeting with B&O direct. The recruiters were very professional and seemed to want to make sure everything was "a fit" upfront. I actually enjoyed the interviews with the recruiter and with B&O - they were very relaxed and more of a conversation on career history and knowledge of the industry. I ultimately wasn't a fit for the position - but the interviews made me think it would have been a good company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • It was pretty routine. Experience, previous employment. All of the people were pleasant and the process seemed very common sense. The most difficult questions were pertaining to the direction of the industry and some of the challenges the industry must overcome.   Answer Question

AV Installer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen in August 2012.

I responded to an online ad with my resume, and was contacted quickly for an interview. The owner had me come in for an interview, which seemed to go very well. He called me back for another interview with the head installer, which also seemed to go well. I was told I would be contacted in a few days with a decision, but didn't hear back. Over the next few weeks, I sent a couple emails and left a couple voicemails, but I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that stood out as particularly difficult. I was just asked about my background and skills that would help me in the position.   Answer Question

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen in January 2008.

Three phone interviews and One face to face: One with an HR consultant with typical interview questions that ask you to think on your feet. Tell me about a time when you etc...these are from TSI - Targeted Selective Interview questions etc.. The other phone interviews were more conversational and more of a resume walk through. The face to face was much the same but with a more "let me get to know you to see if you can hold a conversation"

Interview Questions
    • Typical, what is your greatest weakness.   View Answer
    There was really none, I asked for more, but was told "we pay very well and this number shows it. I was also younger and likely did not approach the conversation with the right amount of swag.

Intern, Marketing, Automotive Section Interview

(Translated from English)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen in June 2013.

Der Bewerbungsprozess ist das übliche Prozedere, Lebenslauf, Telefoninterview und persönliches Gespräch.

Ich hatte eine Initiativbewerbung an die Hauptverwaltung geschickt und diese wurde "ausgesprochen effektiv" an den Automotive-Geschäftsbereich in Deutschland weitergeleitet. Vom Versand meiner Bewerbung bis zum ersten Kontakt vergingen drei Wochen.

The hiring process is quite usual, with a selection of CV, phone interview and face to face.
    I sent an unsollicited application to the headquarters and have been re-directed to the automotive division in Germany by them really efficiently. 3 weeks went by in between my application and the first contact.

Interview Questions
    • Wie stellen Sie sich Ihr Leben vor, wenn Sie 30 sind ( Sprechen Sie jetzt nicht über den Job)?   Where in life will you be when you are 30 (do not talk about the job)?   View Answer

Softwareentwickler Interview

(Translated from English)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen in March 2012.

Wir diskutierten über meinen Hintergrund, dann wurden mir Fragen über das Programmieren, digitale Filter und dann allgemeine technische Fragen gestellt:
    - Was ermöglichen virtuelle Methoden im objekt-orientierten Design?
    - Wie muss die Energie auf Subwoofer und Tweeter-Lautsprecher im Audiosystem verteilt sein?
    - Was ist der Unterschied zwischen FIR- und IIR-Filtern?
    - Was ist Dolby Digital?
    - Welche Vorteile und Nachteile haben Elektroautos?
    Danach folgten ein paar Google/Microsoft-„Denksportaufgaben“.
    Es wurden mir keine typischen Personalfragen gestellt.

We discussed my background, then I was asked questions about programming, digital filters, then general engineering questions:
    - what do virtual methods allow to do in terms of object-oriented design?
    - how the power must be distributed among sub-woofer and tweeter speakers in audio system?
    - what is the difference between FIR and IIR filters?
    - what is Dolby Digital?
    - what are advantages and disadvantages of electric cars?
    After that there were couple of Google/Microsoft "brain teaser" questions.
    I was not asked typical HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • Wie oft kreuzen sich die Zeiger der Uhr in einem Zeitraum von 24 Std?   How many times clock hands cross during 24 hours?   View Answer

Franchisee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bang & Olufsen in January 2009.

Lengthy and extremely invasive. They require full financial disclosure and delve deeply into your abilities to represent Bang & Olufsen. Your commercial abilities to run a small retail business will be heavily scrutinised and you need to have a very in depth business plan.

Overall the process can take up to 6 months as you have to pass through their training programmes and also find a suitable location. You need to have around £250K working capital otherwise they will not entertain the prospect of you becoming a business franchisee.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to give a presentation that lasts for 20mins on what the brand means to you and only given 45mins to prepare. It is all done last minute and is highly pressured.   Answer Question
    Smooth